Tesla unveils more affordable Model 3, gives glimpse at Apple's future auto competition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2016
Tesla on Thursday night unveiled the long-awaited Model 3, its first electric car to be priced for the general public instead of rich sports and luxury car buyers.

The four-door will cost just $35,000 before options, approximately half the sticker price of a 2015 Model S. The first 200,000 U.S. units will also qualify for federal tax subsidies supporting electric vehicles, potentially making the car as cheap as $27,500.

Despite being scaled back, the Model 3 will accelerate from 0 to 60 miles an hour in under 6 seconds, and have a range of at least 215 miles per charge. Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that his company is hoping to extend range even further by the time the first Model 3s are delivered, in late 2017.

Prior to last night's announcement, lineups at Tesla showrooms managed to secure 115,000 paid reservations for the vehicle -- a number which has likely only increased since online reservations were launched with the unveiling.

The Model 3 will also include a large touchscreen dash interface -- in landscape orientation, unlike the Model S -- and support not just Autopilot assisted driving, but future self-driving functions.

Tesla's prospects are riding on the success of the Model 3, in no small part because of investor expectations and the company's massive infrastructure investments. The Gigafactory built to increase battery production is worth billions of dollars, and by the time the Model 3 ships the company will have doubled its worldwide tally of charging stations.

A later version of the Model 3 could be in direct competition with Apple's rumored electric car. That vehicle is expected to arrive no earlier than 2019 or 2020, however, and may or may not have self-driving technology in its first generation. Many of the people working on the project are believed to have been poached from Tesla.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    Wow.

Looks like the car Steve Jobs would have made.

Seriously? Looks fugly to me. Especially the interior. Of course I know the kool-aid is strong with Tesla. I'll bet any money if this exact design was released by, say Toyota or GM people would be panning it. image
    edited April 2016 tallest skilnolamacguycalimejsriccornchipbdkennedy1002
  • Reply 2 of 117
    sog35 said:
    Wow.

Seriously? Looks fugly to me. Especially the interior. Of course I know the kool-aid is strong with Tesla. I'll bet any money if this exact design was released by, say Toyota or GM people would be panning it. image
    Elon Musk Explained that this is the pre-production model. optimizations and design changes would be made in the future. If the display could be fit in the redesigned dashboard it would be extremely appealing other wise a great car nonetheless . IT's TESLA's IPhone Moment
    edited April 2016 lostkiwilolliverazentropybobschlob
  • Reply 3 of 117
    Seriously? Looks fugly to me. Especially the interior. Of course I know the kool-aid is strong with Tesla. I'll bet any money if this exact design was released by, say Toyota or GM people would be panning it. imageElon Musk Explained that this is the pre-production  model. optimizations and design changes would be made in the future. If the display could be fit in the redesigned dashboard it would be extremely appealing other wise a great car nonetheless . IT's TESLA's IPhone Moment
    I'm highly skeptical Tesla would show this off with major changes coming to the dashboard. If so he would have specifically said this isn't what the dashboard will look like.
    jbdragonnolamacguyjustbobfbb-15
  • Reply 4 of 117
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Totally Rocks!

What happened to the speedometer dashboard?
    It only has the 12" iPad Pro in the middle.

I really like Tesla and I hope Apple at least invest in their effort and perhaps use their manufacturing plants and GigaFactory here in the States.
    justbobf
  • Reply 5 of 117
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    time for apple to pack up their car team and work on something else. the profitable side of this market is locked down for the foreseeable future.
    edited April 2016 bb-15
  • Reply 6 of 117
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    This is the car I've been waiting for. 

lostkiwilolliverjbdragonjustadcomicsfastasleeppropodjustbobf
  • Reply 7 of 117
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    schlack said:
    time for apple to pack up their car team and work on something else. the profitable side of this market is locked down for the foreseeable future.
    Not necessarily.  
    I think Apple has some amazing technology to offer car makers including Tesla.

Things like:
    1. Coherent navigation services for accurate autonomous EVs.
    2. SIRI based CarPlay for exquisite UI for interaction with the car.
    3. Advanced iOS based object oriented automotive operating system.
    4. Amazing connectivity and an AppStore for your car.

But I still think working with Tesla in the US would be better both companies especially since TESLA already has the GigaFactory and the manufacturing plants.
    cornchipjustbobf
  • Reply 8 of 117
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    schlack said:
    Well, that's what has been said about MP3-players, computers and phones. So far none of the established players has convincing mass-market electric cars, fully autonomous cars are decades away, and absolutely nobody is making a dime on any of them (so, what do you mean by "the profitable side of this market"?). No idea if Apple will come up with something good, or anything at all. But if they do, it likely won't initially be in the entry-level price range.
    cali
  • Reply 9 of 117
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    sog35 said:
    Wow.

No. Not by a long shot. A man who obsessed with a love of Porsche would not be cooing about that design. It looks like a concept car FORD would make.
    rogifan_newcali
  • Reply 10 of 117
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    That entire dash is counter intuitive to KISS. It's cramming an entire set of standard and  a complex (an overly complex) UI leaving the interior looking like a giant waste of space.

Apple will make something far more engaging and broadly appealing.
    rogifan_newnolamacguypatchythepiratepropod
  • Reply 11 of 117
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,067member
    I've been watching this not because I'm a huge car aficionado, but because I think there is something else here at work. Electric cars can be a key components in the electric grid. Tesla itself is making battery packs for the home. I see no reason why an electric car can't power a home. Meaning perhaps an electric car could not only be a source of backup power for a house, but a means of transport for that power.

No, I don't have any idea where this would lead. But it is cool to see this kind of technology succeed. It is possible we could see the wide spread residential power grid be completely transformed in the next few decades. Small power co-ops of a few houses? Natural gas fuel cells that supplement simple solar or wind systems? Cool.
    welshdog
  • Reply 12 of 117
    gfedorgfedor Posts: 3member
    Nice car.

But to say that $35,000 (or even $27,500 if lucky to get the credit) is a "car to be priced for the general public instead of rich sports and luxury car buyers" is way off the mark.

I get that the technology is new and there is NRE to be recovered, and I get that the car is "cool", but until manufacturers (Tesla, GM, Toyota, Honda, etc. maybe even Apple) starts taking the basic electric motor train technology and adapting it to cars with less bells-n-whistles, none of these types of cars will be within the economy of the general public.

With 3 or 4 models under its belt by now, I would have hoped Tesla would lead the way towards making a car that could start to take more hydrocarbon vehicles off the road.  Don't get me wrong, I think the car has lots of style and would love to have one myself, but $35k is still to rich for me.
  • Reply 13 of 117
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    sog35 said:
    Here's the competition. The Chevy Bolt which will cost $30k.

Insane. Tesla must be losing $20,000 on each model 3 they sell

Quite so. I was initially interested in the Bolt until I read they are not making right hand side drive models. 
    Also that price you mentioned is before stateside federal subsidies. Tesla's price is without subsides. I believe the sticker price on the Bolt is $37,000 or near thereabouts. 
    justbobf
  • Reply 14 of 117
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Excitement shifted away from Apple to Tesla.
    Point is that Tesla also makes the cars software which could replace Apples gadgets in the future.
    edited April 2016 justbobf
  • Reply 15 of 117
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    I'm not sure why anybody thinks Tesla can make a profit with a $35000 car when they don't know how to do it with a $75000 car...
    buzdotsbb-15palomine
  • Reply 16 of 117
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    gfedor said:
    Nice car.

But to say that $35,000 (or even $27,500 if lucky to get the credit) is a "car to be priced for the general public instead of rich sports and luxury car buyers" is way off the mark.

I get that the technology is new and there is NRE to be recovered, and I get that the car is "cool", but until manufacturers (Tesla, GM, Toyota, Honda, etc. maybe even Apple) starts taking the basic electric motor train technology and adapting it to cars with less bells-n-whistles, none of these types of cars will be within the economy of the general public.

With 3 or 4 models under its belt by now, I would have hoped Tesla would lead the way towards making a car that could start to take more hydrocarbon vehicles off the road.  Don't get me wrong, I think the car has lots of style and would love to have one myself, but $35k is still to rich for me.

I read today that the average selling price of a new car today is $33K. Price-wise, this hits the mark 100%. Even better if one lucks into the rebates.
    jbdragonjustbobf
  • Reply 17 of 117
    sog35 said:
    After seeing this I think Apple should drop all AppleCar plans.

The smarter move would be to buy Tesla or stay out of the car business all together.

Its pretty evident that Tesla will be losing $10k or more for each of these cars they sell.
    No way on earth does this car cost less than $45k to build and sell.
    So you want Apple to buy a company losing $10K per car? Or you believe an Apple owned Tesla wouldn't lose $10K per car?
    cali
  • Reply 18 of 117
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    schlack said:
    Not necessarily.  
    I think Apple has some amazing technology to offer car makers including Tesla.

Things like:
    1. Coherent navigation services for accurate autonomous EVs.
    2. SIRI based CarPlay for exquisite UI for interaction with the car.
    3. Advanced iOS based object oriented automotive operating system.
    4. Amazing connectivity and an AppStore for your car.

But I still think working with Tesla in the US would be better both companies especially since TESLA already has the GigaFactory and the manufacturing plants.
    Apples only plus is a huge pile of money.
    I think its Teslas last option to use Apples software; why give control to another company if your very successful developing software yourself.
    The worry should be the other way around.
    justbobfbb-15
  • Reply 19 of 117
    sog35 said:
    Totally Rocks!

What happened to the speedometer dashboard?
    It only has the 12" iPad Pro in the middle.

I really like Tesla and I hope Apple at least invest in their effort and perhaps use their manufacturing plants and GigaFactory here in the States.
    Why can't Apple/Tesla join forces?

Apple supply the software/financing and Tesla provide the manufacturing?

Stop being so stubborn Tim Cook and join Tesla.They have many of the same guiding principles as Apple.

Instead of wasting $100 billion on buying back paper stock why don't you give Tesla a $10 billion loan and receive additional royalties for software?

Lets be honest, Apple is much better at hardware and supply chain than they are software. Most of the issues or bugs people have with Apple products are software/cloud based. What evidence is there that Tesla would be better at manufacturing than Apple. Or what if Apple uses contract manufacturing or partners with someone like BMW? Tesla isn't the only game in town. Stop drinking the kool-aid.
  • Reply 20 of 117
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    smalm said:
    I'm not sure why anybody thinks Tesla can make a profit with a $35000 car when they don't know how to do it with a $75000 car…
    Probably because they have made the effort to understand what Tesla is doing.  Tesla's margin on the Model S is about 25%.  Their bottom line is negative,
    not because they are losing money on the cars they sell, but because they are building out a worldwide network of charging stations, building an enormous
    battery factory, adding hundreds of sales galleries and service centers, and designing and building new car models and the assembly lines to produce them.
    People frequently opine that Tesla is burning money.  When you burn money you are left with nothing but a pile of ashes.  The money Tesla is spending is
    leaving them with tremendously valuable assets, which they are already using to good advantage.  Traditional car makers/dealers trivialize what Tesla is doing
    at their own peril.
    jbdragonlarryafastasleepbobschlobpropoddws-2justbobfjodyfanningstourquesingularity