Review: Apple's 4" iPhone SE is better than we deserve

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I went to see the SE at an Apple Store last night.  I loved it.  Even though I have an iP6+, there's a reason why I still kept my unlocked iP5 around the house.  

The iP4 design will always be my favorite, but a close second was the iP5.  As much as I love using my jumbo iP6+, the iP5 was just an easier phone for me and my motorcycle-traveling ways.  The iP6+ demands some roomy pockets to carry, and my iP5 just slips in the jeans without any fidgeting.

I'm going to play the wait-and-see approach for the iP7 and see what Apple does, but in the end, the SE might be my next purchase, and I suspect the same for many others.
    baconstangcornchippscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 98
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    apple ][ said:
    tzeshan said:
    Otherwise when the 7 comes out the critics will say it loses to the SE in battery life.   ;-)
    The 7 will probably lose to the SE in battery life, that's just the way that it is.

Then how come SE beats 5S in battery life? 
  • Reply 23 of 98
    I'm loving the SE. Not missing my iPhone 6 at all. The SE is so much easier to hold and operate one handed.

I wasn't going to wait to see if they also did a 4" iPhone 7 - I had to do what was right for my hands now.

I've been wondering what they would call an updated SE model especially if SE stands for 'special edition'. So maybe the next 4" will be part of the yearly iPhone cycle i.e. part of the iPhone 7 family. If so, I'll probably wait 18 months and get a 4" 7s. 

jude2012
  • Reply 24 of 98
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Maybe most readers here don't have kids... But would have been nicer if the reviewer had asked some kids to try it out and included their opinions. Am thinking of buying two of these for my younger kids. 
    heh, yea. My darling little princess will get one for her birthday.
    She's always "borrowing" her mothers 6s largely because of the camera.
    Dropped it about 6 times, no damage.
    She can wield her 4s with great effect without dropping that - "but the cameras crap, Dad !"

SE is a better fit for smaller hands ...
    edited April 2016 calicornchipxamaxargonautchuck1252AirunJae
  • Reply 25 of 98
    jgw3jgw3 Posts: 1member
    Sadly, had to return my SE already.  Bluetooth issue that Apple support confirmed was a hardware issue.  Verizon is out of stock and had to reactivate my 5s.  Hours of Apple support, restoring to factory settings multiple times, then time in Verizon store.  That's the better part of a day I won't get back.  May be just one defective phone.  Lesson learned: don't buy a just released piece of technology until it's been on the market for a while to find out if there are systemic issues.  Problem is, these 5s trade in promos (Verizon is essentially doubling their trade-in value) expire in a couple weeks. :-( 

Then again, another family member's iPhone 6 was a complete train wreck (software issue) to get started last summer.  Apple does not seem to feel like the Apple of old lately. 
  • Reply 26 of 98
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Review: Apple's 4" iPhone SE is better than we anticipated/expected.
    calibaconstangcornchipjude2012irelandpatchythepirateargonaut
  • Reply 27 of 98
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I know I'm gonna get hate but:

they should have went with a "6" design. Maybe the tech wasn't there yet but sales would have exploded.

Or at least they could have offered a new range of colors. Rose Gold will see the most sales. The rest just look old.
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 28 of 98
    cali said:

they should have went with a "6" design. Maybe the tech wasn't there yet but sales would have exploded.

Or at least they could have offered a new range of colors. Rose Gold will see the most sales. The rest just look old.
    Males prefer SE more than females.  Rose gold is a female color.  
    pulseimages
  • Reply 29 of 98
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    tzeshan said:
    cali said:

No way Rose Gold won't outsell the old colors that make your iPhone look like a 5s.

I was the one who predicted Rose Gold 6s would be the big seller.

colors don't have gender.
    edited April 2016 AirunJae
  • Reply 30 of 98
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    red oak said:
    This has staying power.  Would not be surprised to see this on the market for 2-3 years without any updates 

The mfg cost savings on the case and screen must be pheonomal. These components first hit the market five years ago.  Good move Apple 

The SE is the iPhone upgrade from my iPhone 4 which I would have bought last summer.
    Too late Apple, but in another 3+ years I'll look at it !  Sooner if my 5c doesn't last, but don't count on the 5c failing earlier.

Yes  Apple must be getting a great deal on parts.
    Apple's volume is so high they are in the drivers seat on parts.

Those stock market analysts who said Apple iPhone sales are dropping because of a big parts build up,
     had better use this event to get smarter or to stop making bad predictions;
     because they don't have enough info to open their mouths so far !     :#
    baconstangjude2012
  • Reply 31 of 98
    cali said:
    tzeshan said:
    No way Rose Gold won't outsell the old colors that make your iPhone look like a 5s.

I was the one who predicted Rose Gold 6s would be the big seller.

In China more male buyers of SE and more gold buyers than rose gold. 
  • Reply 32 of 98
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Who's it for?  Me.  Smartphones appeared after I retire. IPad works fine in conjunction with iMac.  Now, the SE is small enough w/good enough camera to lose one walking-around device.  11 days to go.
    jude2012
  • Reply 33 of 98
    2GB RAM and 16GB memory for $400 in 2016 is hardly better than any anyone deserves... These are borderline specs.

6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 34 of 98
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

tzeshan said:
    ireland said:
    I believe Apple would do well and be clever to offer iPhone 7 in 3 sizes: 4.2" (or 4), 4.7" and 5.5".

Even if it means the 4" model must be slighter thicker than is brethren and priced up there with the regular model. Oh, and naming it iPhone 7 mini is a no-brainer. I also wish Apple would give all iPhone 7's camera parody with no features exclusive to the plus model. Let the difference between these phones be price, display size and possibly battery life to some extent as guided by physics. Perhaps making them thicker as they go smaller would be a clever way to offer battery-life parody.

iPhone 7 mini (4.2" x 8.1 mm), iPhone 7 (4.7" x 7.1 mm), iPhone 7 plus (5.5" x 6.1 mm). All with dual-cameras.
    I still miss the iPhone 4.  The 3.5" screen is prefect fit for me. 
    Me too, that's why I ungraded my 4 to a 5c.
    My 5c only has 16gb, that's all that was available last summer.
    However the Buffalo MiniStation 1TB WiFi for $100 is a better deal than 64GB on the iPhone.

The SE at C$579, a ridiculous 1.45 exchange rate. 
    Since the iPhone is made in countries which didn't keep up with the rapidly rising US$ since 2014, 
     Apple is making  additional profit by  taking advantage of the exchange rates.

• Reply 35 of 98
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    tzeshan said:
    apple ][ said:
    The 7 will probably lose to the SE in battery life, that's just the way that it is.

Isn't that obvious. Larger battery and newer more efficient chips I suppose.
    baconstangjude20126Sgoldfish
  • Reply 36 of 98
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    tzeshan said:
    apple ][ said:

Battery technology has been at a near stand still for a very long time. Every other component not so much.
    baconstangcornchipjude2012
  • Reply 37 of 98
    2GB RAM and 16GB memory for $400 in 2016 is hardly better than any anyone deserves... These are borderline specs.

You need to shake your head around a bit, so that you can get rid of all of the Android sawdust that's trapped inside.

2GB of Ram on an iOS phone will do a fine job. This isn't inefficient Android that we're talking about here.

And the A9 chip makes this one speedy phone.

Simply put, this is the best and most powerful 4" phone in the world.

nolamacguychiabaconstangcornchipration aljude2012aaronjpatchythepiratexamaxargonaut
  • Reply 38 of 98
    cali said:

I disagree. We've been through this before on this forum a long time ago. But many people and society associates certain colors with genders.
    baconstangpulseimages
  • Reply 39 of 98
    Got it. Love it.  Much smoother motion and speed.  Irritating glitch on horizontal texting is gone.  Camera is measurably better.  I'll keep it.  Good stuff.
    cornchipargonaut
  • Reply 40 of 98
    apple ][ said:
    tzeshan said:
    Isn't that obvious. Larger battery and newer more efficient chips I suppose.
    Apple could repeat this in i7. 
    cornchip