I Broke down!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well I broke down last night. I was at a friends house and we were playing Halo and Turok multiplayer on the xbox. My friend showed me AA (America's Army) on the PC. That game is nuts. So I broke down and bought the following:

1. AMD 1900+(1.6GHz)/266 Athlon XP Processor

2. ASUS Motherboard

3. 512 DDR 2100 Ram

4. 80 Gig Western Digital HD

5. ATI Radeon 9000 128Meg DDR Video Card

6. Floppy Drive

7. CDRW 32X12X40X

8. DVD 16X

9. Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

10. Evercase Midtower

11. 350 Watt AMD Recommend Dual Fan P/S

12. Microtel 700 17-inch Flat Screen Monitor

13. Keyboard and Optical Mouse

Grand Total of: $923.00

Not to bad of a price. I went a little nuts after I saw that game plus I wanted to get a PC setup for my MCSE class so I can do some of this stuff here at home.

Update: The price could have been about 200$ less but I'm having every thing shipped over night, plus extra to have them Express the packaging so my order gets put @ the top.

[ 10-15-2002: Message edited by: BrianMacOS ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Sounds like a lot of money for a gaming machine. But hey, you worked for it. Now if you need a computer in the first place, then that's a nice price.

Any chance AA comes to the xBox?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Sounds like a lot of money for a gaming machine. But hey, you worked for it. Now if you need a computer in the first place, then that's a nice price.

Any chance AA comes to the xBox?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Umm AA will probably never come to the Xbox. It is a free game made by the Army. It is an impressive game, I was blowin away by it. I'm not one to get in to PC Gaming, I've always been a Console Gamer but this game is good. <a href="http://www.americasarmy.com/"; target="_blank">Click here to find out more about AA</a>
  • Reply 3 of 25
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    $200 sounds like alot of money for overnight shipping

Guess u must be one of those guys with very little patience.

but for the equipment u got, I think the price is reasonable. Have fun.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    abso-frickin-lutely!

that system completely rocks, and if you really only paid that much, and the price includes a 17" flat panel and $200 in shipping, then you got yourself a great deal.

what can I say, I'm jealous! heh, until I upgrade to an XP 2700, PC 2700, and an nForce 2 mobo in a few months.

seriously though, that sounds like a sweet machine!

neye
  • Reply 5 of 25
    i know, i don't want to start in ... but

i can't afford macs anymore.

this economy is kickin my ass and there is no way i can buy any of the hardware i need right now.

my friend just bought his daughter a dell for 699. it's fast. it's pretty nice.monitor included.

sheesh.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    [quote]Originally posted by bluesigns:

<strong>i know, i don't want to start in ... but

i can't afford macs anymore.

this economy is kickin my ass and there is no way i can buy any of the hardware i need right now.

my friend just bought his daughter a dell for 699. it's fast. it's pretty nice.monitor included.

sheesh.</strong><hr></blockquote>

We are in the same boat my friend. Apple computers seem to be getting further and further out of our reach...

Been eying the imac to replace my old PC in my room, but really can't justify the high cost. Still waiting for the price to fall...

• Reply 7 of 25
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    And then they wonder, wither the market-share?

Come on Apple, you need at least one convincing machine at 999. BTW, I think Brian's deal came with a flat screen not a flat panel.
  • Reply 8 of 25

<strong>And then they wonder, wither the market-share?

Come on Apple, you need at least one convincing machine at 999. BTW, I think Brian's deal came with a flat screen not a flat panel.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah it's a flat screen monitor. I bought all my parts from <a href="http://www.newegg.com"; target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com</a>; and I'm buying my monitor and Keyboard from the local super Walmart tonight so I can get it all setup tomorrow.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member

<strong>

Come on Apple, you need at least one convincing machine at 999.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think at this point Apple needs at least one convincing machine at under $999.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Let's see how much Brian is using his budget PC in a couple of years. I really want to know about the longevity of this computer.

Also, is he changing is screen name to "BrianAMD" or "BrianWindows" or some other innane combination?

[ 10-15-2002: Message edited by: clonenode ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by clonenode:

<strong>

Also, is he changing is screen name to "BrianAMD" or "BrianWindows" or some other innane combination?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just because he got a PC doesn't mean he's going to stop using his Mac.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Hey, EmAn, that's quite a long post there.

You're quite right, though: there are a lot of us here who find ourselves using Windows machines in one form or another in the course of our professional lives or for other purposes, but still return to pure, sweet Mac-dom out of choice.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    [quote] Just because he got a PC doesn't mean he's going to stop using his Mac. <hr></blockquote>

Exactly. After I got my 3 windows machines, it's not like I stopped using my iMac. Oh, wait, actually I did

I do still have the mac set up though, so that my g/f can use a macOS program to create work materials for the kids she teaches. The rest of the time its booted into OS X for folding.

neye
  • Reply 14 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Overhope:

<strong>Hey, EmAn, that's quite a long post there.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, I know.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Dual(or more)-platformers rule! :cool: I hope the MB has USB 2.0 and FW ports though.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    No offense to your judgment, but you shouldn't have bought the flat panel. At that price it WILL blow ass. It's most surely made from what other companies consider to be defective panels.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>No offense to your judgment, but you shouldn't have bought the flat panel. At that price it WILL blow ass. It's most surely made from what other companies consider to be defective panels.</strong><hr></blockquote>

For some reason, people who buy a PC go for quanity not quality.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    i'm looking at a brand new dell desktop for $599 with a monitor included.

it's not a quantity verses quality thing, it's an economics thing.

i might be able to scratch together $599 right now ...maybe, but i know i can't scratch together $1,699 for a powermac desktop or even 1299 or 1099 for an emac or imac to be honest.

and that's where a lot of people are at financially.

i could really put to good use an Xserve, a PowerMac, and an iBook right now and it's frustrating that i ca't afford any of them.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>No offense to your judgment, but you shouldn't have bought the flat panel. At that price it WILL blow ass. It's most surely made from what other companies consider to be defective panels.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He already said it... it's not a flat pannel (LCD) it's a Flat CRT.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    If you *need* an xserve but can't afford it, maybe you can start with this:

DellSB - PowerEdge 1400SC Server - Dual PC3 1.13GHz with 512K cache with 18GB 10,000RPM Hard Drive and 1 year parts, tech support, and onsite labor.

Cost? $550 after rebate and free shipping.

Source: <a href="http://www.gotapex.com/deals.php"; target="_blank">http://www.gotapex.com/deals.php</a>;