Tesla unveils more affordable Model 3, gives glimpse at Apple's future auto competition

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member

fallenjt said:

Because Tesla fans are stupid and will spend $144K on a Model X that isn't even as well equipped as a Jeep Grand Cherokee, let alone something like a Range Rover SVR (which is in the same price range). Anyone who puts a deposit in a car that's 2 years away, IMO, is an idiot. Especially when the final specs/features aren't even known and with their horrible track record with delays.

Have you ever actually driven a Tesla (Model S is only one people would reasonably have tried). Take away the blinding acceleration and you have a POS overpriced car with poor finish and build quality. Oh, but it has Ludicrous mode. That makes up for all the creature comforts it lacks. /S
    Don't let me cuss at you for your dumb comments. I'm one of these 200k and can see Musk's vision for the future. You don't. Musk rised to Billionaire from $28k borrowed from his father to start his investment. Calling him an idiot is not only showing you an ignorant person, but also a fucking asshole!
    Now now ...
    My impression was that the Model X is a fabulous luxurious equipped car, it also seems to be the case that Tesla is learning fast how to make a fit and finish like BMW and Mercedes, so I would expect Tesla to be on par with the best auto makers at this time.
    Did you drive a Model X?
  • Reply 102 of 117
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    smalm said:
    auxio said:
    A bit dramatic, but a few more things to consider before you pre-order.
    It's far from dramatic - the problem ist not Tesla investing billions.
    The real problem is that Tesla is loosing money selling cars. The more cars they sell the more money they loose.
    It's lose and losing. You have to override auto correct to even write loosing
  • Reply 103 of 117
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    knowitall said:

fallenjt said:

Don't let me cuss at you for your dumb comments. I'm one of these 200k and can see Musk's vision for the future. You don't. Musk rised to Billionaire from $28k borrowed from his father to start his investment. Calling him an idiot is not only showing you an ignorant person, but also a fucking asshole!
    Now now ...
    My impression was that the Model X is a fabulous luxurious equipped car, it also seems to be the case that Tesla is learning fast how to make a fit and finish like BMW and Mercedes, so I would expect Tesla to be on par with the best auto makers at this time.
    Did you drive a Model X?
    I haven't driven Model X. In fact, I only saw one on the road lately and it looked stunning. I drove Model S and it's beyond the joy. Having been BMW owners since last 2 decades, I thought I would never buy any car other than BMW until Tesla S comes in. The thing is beautiful, quiet, refined and damn fast. I expect Model X to be the same as Model S even though it's out of my reach. This is why my $1K went to Model 3 reservation to replace my BMW E90 because I don't think Tesla will make junks.
    BTW, 253,000 pre-orders as of this morning tells met that this car is a hit like the first iPhone. Elon Musk must be doing something really right on this project.
    edited April 2016 propod
  • Reply 104 of 117
    smalm said:
    The real problem is that Tesla is loosing money selling cars. The more cars they sell the more money they loose.
    Many native English speakers write with how the word sounds. I saw this hundreds of times in internet.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 105 of 117
    Bookworm said:
    This article is misleading..  

The quote of:
    "The first 200,000 U.S. units will also qualify for federal tax subsidies supporting electric vehicles, potentially making the car as cheap as $27,500." 

Is just wrong, the government subsidy is for the first 200,000 EV unit of ANY type for a company.  Tesla has already stated that they have sold around 75,000 Roadsters, Model S's and X's..   So with ongoing sales of those, by the time the Model 3  hits any streets probably only 50-80 thousand units will qualify.

The writers and editors need to do some fact checking before making blanket statements like that.    People now think that if they are in the 200K they get the subsidy.  It will be lucky if only 1/3 or 1/4 of the Model 3's will quality. 

Again, that's 200,000 cars from a single manufacture of ANY model that qualifies.   Check the facts please!

WRONG! 200,000 US units per Manufacturer. You need to research that again because so far over 200,000 EV were already sold my many manufacturers combined.
  • Reply 106 of 117
    TESLA had conversations with Apple.  A deal did not happen because TESLA was focused on developing a mass market Model 3.
    Now the the Model 3 is about to enter production, perhaps TESLA and Apple should talk again.  Tesla is still about 30 Bills.

http://cdn-mobapi.bloomberg.com/mobapi/v2/ipad/media/video/cc/WiFi/Hfh13_sMQCC~x~HzbPKZ4w.m3u8

• Reply 107 of 117
    TESLA had conversations with Apple.  A deal did not happen because TESLA was focused on developing a mass market Model 3.
    Now the the Model 3 is about to enter production, perhaps TESLA and Apple should talk again.  Tesla is still about 30 Bills.

http://cdn-mobapi.bloomberg.com/mobapi/v2/ipad/media/video/cc/WiFi/Hfh13_sMQCC~x~HzbPKZ4w.m3u8

Why would Tesla want to talk to Apple at this point? They have enough money to continue their productions. I bet by the end of this year, model 3 orders should be 1/2 Billion units (over 253,000 by this Morning already). Tesla set the bar so high that I don't think any luxury brand (Audi, BMW or Mercedes) at this point can catch up. The Chevy Bolt is not even in the same league but way too expensive. Bolt should be priced below $30k before tax credits.
    edited April 2016 propod
  • Reply 108 of 117
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    fallenjt said:

smalm said:
    You have no clue what the crap you just spit out. Model S margin is 25%. Losing money my ass. Do some research or go back to stupid!
    Tesla is a great company, and Musk a great CEO, but please don't make up stuff. Tesla's margins are negative. Doesn't matter whether its EBITDA, EBIT, OCF, FCF, or Net Income margin. 

If we're looking for someone who has "no clue" and "spit(s) out" "crap", I am afraid it would be you. 
  • Reply 110 of 117
    crowley said:
    Do you know what 'gross profit margin' means? It is, by no means, a measure of profit. 

Please look it up. (This has been discussed in this forums ad nauseam.)
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 111 of 117
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    crowley said:
    Do you know what 'gross profit margin' means? It is, by no means, a measure of profit. 

Yeah, no matter how you slice it, Tesla's financials are pretty dismal;
    Their name/reputation and Musk's ability to raise cash is by far their greatest asset.
    They need to tread water on that for 2-3 years because otherwise they'll be dead.

Tesla needs the series 3 to work very very well, or they're in deep trouble,
     especially because that's about the time all the other Auto makers are really going to ramp up in that market and they have profits..
    If BMW  comes up with a even mildly competitive product they'd be in trouble.
  • Reply 112 of 117
    fallenjt said:

You have no clue what the crap you just spit out. Model S margin is 25%. Losing money my ass. Do some research or go back to stupid!
    Tesla is a great company, and Musk a great CEO, but please don't make up stuff. Tesla's margins are negative. Doesn't matter whether its EBITDA, EBIT, OCF, FCF, or Net Income margin. 

If we're looking for someone who has "no clue" and "spit(s) out" "crap", I am afraid it would be you. 
    Give me the data to show Tesla lost money on every car. No data means troll!
    Tesla like Amazon in the 90 reinvested their money in their infrastructure. When an economist talks about profit, he/she means the company already paid off all the fixed cost (building, properties, infrastructure costs...) and variable cost is less than the price of good the company sells. If you buy a $1M building to open a restaurant, first 2-3 years, you don't have profits even though you still make money. Need a lesson on Macro Economics?
    edited April 2016 propod
  • Reply 113 of 117
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:

The quote that you were responding to was specifically relating to the margin of one particular car, the model S, in the context of a claim that Tesla lose money for every car they sell. That is simply not true, every car makes them money. They are spending that money to invest, which may or may not be a wise thing to do, but nevertheless, for every car they make, the margin of that car is positive.

Pretty bad form to change the subject and then tell me to look up things. The thing I'm looking up is the subject.  That you don't consider it a measure of profit is rather beside the point.
    edited April 2016 propod
  • Reply 115 of 117
    looplessloopless Posts: 329member
    I just don't think Joe Public realizes how impractical electric cars are. You can't even drive this car from San Diego to many parts of LA and back without  cooling your heels at some charging station. I just did  a trip to Joshua Tree Nat. Park. It was 360 miles driving. So WTF are you supposed to do in a Tesla. Find a supercharger? Only on the main freeeways. So suddenly my life and where I go  is dominated by the need to plug my freaking car in? Please buy an Audi e-tron or a Volt. 20-30 miles of around town emission free driving and you are able to drive when and wherever you want.
  • Reply 116 of 117
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    fallenjt said:
    Many native English speakers write with how the word sounds. I saw this hundreds of times in internet.
    Misspelled words are usually shortened, not made longer.