Apple celebrates 40th anniversary with Beer Bash DJ'd by Zane Lowe

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2016
Apple turned 40 years old on Friday, and to celebrate the company held a traditional Beer Bash in front of its Cupertino, Calif., campus shortly after the workday ended, with Beats 1 providing tunes for a crowd of more than 6,000 people.

At the event, Apple CEO Tim Cook offered words of congratulations to current employees, while paying respect to those who came before. Following the short speech, Cook offered Apple birthday wishes via Twitter, posting a photo of himself and Beats 1 DJ Zane Lowe standing on stage in front of the gathered crowd.

"Happy Birthday, Apple! Celebrating 40 years & looking forward to many more decades of innovation," Cook said in the tweet.

One onlooker caught the first few seconds of Cook's address on video and subsequently posted the clip to Instagram. In it, Cook can be heard saying that the quad at 1 Infinite Loop was filled to capacity with over 6,000 attendees.

Happy 40th birthday Apple! 🎈🎉 #HBD

A video posted by NYC || SF (@nabznyc) on Apr 1, 2016 at 5:42pm PDT

Instagram user @nabznyc

Earlier in the day, Apple ran a replica the first Mac team's pirate flag up the pole to honor past employees who in many ways helped spark the personal computing revolution. The flag was created by former Macintosh programmer Steve Capps and renowned graphic designer Susan Kare, and flew above the "Bandley 3" building in 1983.

Apple's 40th anniversary celebration officially kicked off at the company's special media event held on March 21. Alongside product announcements for iPhone SE and the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, Apple presented a brief video retrospective looking back on the company's most famous -- and infamous -- gadgets. Titled "40 Years in 40 Seconds," the film is available for viewing on YouTube.

Beer Bash revelers also posted photos of the celebration to social media outlets like Instagram, some of which are included below.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    Is that a Stella Artois I see before me. Respect.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    Apple and...BEER BASH? Seriously?

oookayyy...
  • Reply 3 of 17
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Apple and...BEER BASH? Seriously?

oookayyy...
    Not sure I'm following what you're getting at, but they do Beer Bash at WWDC every year.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 4 of 17
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    Way back in 1987 I attended an Apple Friday-afternoon Beer Bash on their main campus -- after spending the day interviewing as a upcoming college graduate.  Good times.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I just realized Tim Cook is obsessed with breaking records.

at the beer bash: "More people than ever before" "over 6,000 people"
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 17
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    cali said:
    I just realized Tim Cook is obsessed with breaking records.

at the beer bash: "More people than ever before" "over 6,000 people"
    Bean counter.

/jk
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 7 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I believe Apple is the oldest surviving maker of personal computers still producing them. IBM doesn’t make them anymore, for example. Radio Shack is gone. Atari, Commodore, etc., are long gone. The rest came later except for HP maybe. When did HP start making PCs?
    messagepad2100
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I used to love the beer bashes at Apple, especially the ones with live music, don't like DJs much though. The cafeteria was usually the center of the beer bash for gathering for me because of all the food they would lay out. Strangely I don't miss the work at all but I miss that cafeteria and the fire oven pizza that was fantastic. It was like Pieology but done by a real italian chef. Those were the days. I'm hungry.
    edited April 2016 caliargonautpatchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 17
    So whats the 40th Anniversary Mac going to look like ?  :D
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Why a beer bash? Beer makes people fat and besides, not everybody likes beer.

Why not a weed bash? Apple is in Cali, and there's plenty of good weed in Cali one would assume.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    To celebrate 40 years I would have expected something a bit better than beer.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    lkrupp said:
    I believe Apple is the oldest surviving maker of personal computers still producing them. IBM doesn’t make them anymore, for example. Radio Shack is gone. Atari, Commodore, etc., are long gone. The rest came later except for HP maybe. When did HP start making PCs?

A few desktop computers, some by IBM and by HP emerged in the mid 1970s (they weren't called PC's mostly because of pricing I gather), but
    in the 1970s PC's were the lot of the Trinity : Apple, PET, TRS.
    Both IBM and HP didn't start doing PC's in the traditional term until the 1980s: 1981 for IBM and 1983 for HP.
    Compaq made the first IBM PC Clone in 1983 and their now part of HP.

Depends when you set your starting point for personal computer I suppose.

So, yes Apple is the surviving Pioneer of an era,
    But some key tech giants of 1977 are still there, IBM, Intel, HP, most of the survivors had a strong engineering expertise.

edited April 2016 patchythepirate
  • Reply 13 of 17
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    appleempl said:
    I used to love the beer bashes at Apple, especially the ones with live music, don't like DJs much though. The cafeteria was usually the center of the beer bash for gathering for me because of all the food they would lay out. Strangely I don't miss the work at all but I miss that cafeteria and the fire oven pizza that was fantastic. It was like Pieology but done by a real italian chef. Those were the days. I'm hungry.
    Is that Pre-Jobs 2.0, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would care for this kind of expense. He was not in charge for a large part of the 1980s and 1990s.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    apple ][ said:

Why not a weed bash? Apple is in Cali, and there's plenty of good weed in Cali one would assume.
    Apple have been throwing "Beer Bashes" for a long time. When I worked there in 2000/2001 Apple would throw a beer bash every time a new product was announced or released. The beer and wine and food was always top notch and always free. 
  • Reply 15 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    JinTech said:
    apple ][ said:

Apple have been throwing "Beer Bashes" for a long time. When I worked there in 2000/2001 Apple would throw a beer bash every time a new product was announced or released. The beer and wine and food was always top notch and always free. 
    IMO, they need to stop the flow of alcohol and food until the software is tightened up.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    strellsstrells Posts: 20member
    Apple has Beer Bashes pretty much every other Friday afternoon.  They're called Beer Bashes, but they also serve wine and soft drinks as well.  As mentioned, the food is great too.  
  • Reply 17 of 17
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Was Woz or Ron Wayne in attendance?