Apple profiles iPad apps for World Autism Acceptance Day

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    why- said:
    you know you and people like you really scare me and are the reason I avoid neurotypical people whenever I can
    Why do you keep making my argument for me? I mean, really. Is that an elemental function of your condition, or is it just a matter of your shared belief system?

Come off it.

I literally have no idea what you're saying. you need to be more coherent when you post, unless your argument consists of simply being impossibly vague and blaming it on everyone when they don't understand you

and fyi as a matter of fact it is a function of my condition that I don't pick up on subtle social cues! how about that?!
    edited April 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 42 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    auxio said:
    But to go with it a bit -- I personally choose not to take pain medication when I get a headache (unless it's really bad) because I don't like taking medication which I feel simply masks another problem.  In most cases I can trace my headache back to lack of sleep, not eating properly, or other preventable root causes.  In many cases, I think people with persistent headaches might be able to do the same (find and treat the root cause rather than just the symptom).
    Hey, neither do I. Haven’t had a headache since I stopped taking a pill for them when I had them. The point is that it’s not just lived with as “the new normal.” Again, rather than the situation being the unknown the cure is the unknown, but it’s the same mechanism as with autism. I’m trying to think of another analogy that hasn’t been used already...
    For example, many people with autism who can't connect with people emotionally seem to be able to do so well with animals.  So get them get into fields of work where one needs to be good with animals.  Which could lead to much more enjoyment in life than simply being normal (but losing the ability to connect with animals or experience emotions in that way).
    There’s an idea, sure.
    why- said:
    is a function of my condition that I don't pick up on subtle social cues!
    What does that have to do with being “afraid” of normal people? Never mind; for once I just don’t care. You’ve proven elsewhere that your ideas are objectively wrong and just don’t matter.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 43 of 57
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    WTF @"tallest skil"?! Autism is neither an illness nor a mental health disorder.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    why- said:
    Why do you keep making my argument for me? I mean, really. Is that an elemental function of your condition, or is it just a matter of your shared belief system?

Come off it.

I literally have no idea what you're saying. you need to be more coherent when you post, unless your argument consists of simply being impossibly vague and blaming it on everyone when they don't understand you

and fyi as a matter of fact it is a function of my condition that I don't pick up on subtle social cues! how about that?!
    You are wasting your time with him.
    singularity
  • Reply 45 of 57
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Soli said:
    WTF @"tallest skil"?! Autism is neither an illness nor a mental health disorder.
    It is to him.  He thinks like Trump. 
    singularity
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Soli said:
    Autism is neither an illness nor a mental health disorder.
    It is a disorder by the definition of the word.
    cnocbui said:
    You are wasting your time with him.
    Have a fucking argument and maybe you won’t feel that you’re wasting my time.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Soli said:
    Autism is neither an illness nor a mental health disorder.
    It is a disorder by the definition of the word.
    Have a fucking argument and maybe you won’t feel that you’re wasting my time.
    So you're saying it is an illness and/or a mental health disorder?

And what do you propose if we can't "cure" these aberrant travesties of nature; maybe a little "cleansing", or just the humane¡ hiding them away from the world because we're ashamed of what others will think?

Do you think human kind has benefited from Temple Grandin's achievements?
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Soli said:
    Sure.
    And what do you propose if we can’t “cure”...
    Hardly seems like the attitude we need, does it? Imagine if the Apollo program had operated around the “what happens if it can’t be done?” premise? The entirety of human history and success is marked by two things: stubbornness and self-improvement. We can and will eventually do anything that doesn’t violate the laws of physics–and there’s quite a bit we once thought did that we’ve come to find out doesn’t, simply because we don’t fucking give up. So instead of projectionism and line-toed strawmen, why not work to improve everything?
  • Reply 49 of 57
    What does that have to do with being “afraid” of normal people? Never mind; for once I just don’t care. You’ve proven elsewhere that your ideas are objectively wrong and just don’t matter.
    oh, my bad. I thought you were referring to something else

and also I don't see why you get to decide why my views are 'objectively wrong', especially since you've done nothing to actually address them
  • Reply 50 of 57
    why- said:
    ...you get to decide...
    There you go again! Actually, hang on, I don’t remember if it was you that did it. There IT goes again. Objectivity is not decided by anyone. It’s true if it’s true. It’s false if it’s false. No number of people believing or disbelieving a thing has any effect on its legitimacy. Right is a matter of, in most cases, direct agreement with scientific methods of discovery. Corruption of the scientific process also has no effect the legitimacy of a thing. In the case of linguistics applying a definition to a representation of a meaning (a “word”, in other... words), some might say that said definition is transient (and from this self-“affirm” moral relativism), but when pressed they generally wind up saying that the transience comes only from the slow shift in phonemes over millennia, rather than from a hard change in the actual meaning. Glücklich and happy, for example, mean the same thing, regardless of the phonemes they share and don’t. Any discussion that ends up whining about transience of the meaning of language through history, however, is too far gone to be taken seriously.

In the case of autism, it is a deviance from normality (as defined by the set of healthiest and most common behaviors), often–not always–causing an impairment, lack of health, or otherwise requiring special attention to assist with some behaviors. That’s it. Gotta take the words for what they mean.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    your first comment on this thread was 'Why “accept”? Why not “treat”?' and your problem is that you view these things as mutually exclusive. people are working to treat autism. there are medications, there are techniques, there's therapy, but that doesn't mean spurning autistic people .realize that autism is something that just happens to people. when you reject the idea of accepting people you're turning your back on an entire group of people and treating them like a disease that needs to be cured because there's no reason for anyone's brain to work differently. and if anything's objectively wrong that's definitely on the list. so get over it. there are going to be people whose brains work in ways you will never understand.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Soli said:
    Sure.
    You'll never understand why the second half of your reply is so very wrong until you realize why your "Sure." reply to my question is so distorted that my mouth was literally agape when I read it.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 53 of 57
    why- said:
    your problem is that you view these things as mutually exclusive.
    Because they are. On the spectrum, it’s 

Ignore --------------- Accept --------------- Treat
    that doesn’t mean spurning autistic people. 
    Of... course not?
    treating them like a disease
    Nothing I’ve said would lead you to keep repeating this.
    Soli said:
    ...why your “Sure.” reply to my question is so distorted that my mouth was literally agape when I read it.
    Okay. It’s the definition of the word, so enjoy believing whatever you want to believe, I guess.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    why- said:
    your problem is that you view these things as mutually exclusive.
    Because they are. On the spectrum, it’s 

Ignore --------------- Accept --------------- Treat
    that is literally not how it works. Thats like saying 'on the spectrum you can either eat, skydive or sleep'. Your view comes from the mistaken idea that there is a complete cure for autism. There isnt. There may be one in the future but that's irrelevant. So that means even if you treat autism to the best of your ability you're still going to have to accept it to some degree. Again, acceptance and treatment are not mutually exclusive
    singularitycnocbui
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Nothing I’ve said would lead you to keep repeating this.
    now that's simply not true. Youve repeatedly shown that you view autistic people s a 'problem' that needs to be 'fixed' or 'cured'. Breaking news, autistic people have minds and lives and the fact that they make you uncomfortable is entirely on you
    singularitycnocbuirevenant
  • Reply 57 of 57
    why- said:
    ...the mistaken idea that there is a complete cure for autism. There isnt.
    Never said there was.
    There may be one in the future but that's irrelevant.
    Hardly. It’s only ‘may’ if we stop working.