I finsihed Quake 1!

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
6 years after its release, I have finally finished it. I had started it numerous times but never finished it.

I actually doenloaded the latest 1.09 from Fruits of Dojo and WOW its damn cool.. play with custom MP3s/MP4s, command line at startup, etc etc. Couldn't finish it in higher quality and style if I tried!

Anyway... after 30 minutes of trying to figure out how to destroy that damn last tentacle thing, I managed. What a lame ending I expected more of a fight!!!!

Anyway... congrats to me

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Congratulations!

On to Quake II, Quake III, and dont forget to return to castle wolfenstein.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I tried Quake 2... I refuse to play it. After about an hour I just got way too fed up with it. Horrible single player game. Also tried playing some CTF and DM but being used to Q3 and various mods, I cant stand Q2 anymore.

Q3 I finished.. I think. All the levels are so similar that you have to pay attention

RtCW was cool MOHAAAAAAAA was MUUUUUUUUUCH better. Damn what a great game.

Half-Life still remains my best FPS game
  • Reply 3 of 8
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quake I single was booooooring, god, was it booooooring... Quake II, imo, was a little more interesting, but game play in Quake I was better (I was hooked on Quake 1 Team fortress for the longest time...). Quake 3 just plain sucks (pretty though).

RTCW was good, but I still think nothing can touch Marathon
  • Reply 4 of 8
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    congrats ZO

it was once installed on my pc.. uh. i didnt play it but it was impossibile to work with that computer then..

still need to ty it on my mac

maybe after finishing deimos..
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Q1 boring ? Geez, this was my favorite game, and I still play it today, but only because of the numerous custom maps of very high quality that we can find on the net. I love Quake 1 because of all the add-ons. I love Q3 too, for the same reasons.

I don't like Q2 very much. Because the atmosphere is too "military" like. Too serious. No sense of humor in Q2. Q2 is boring.

I found some kind of humor in Q1 and Q3 which I never found in other games. The monsters in Q1 are so stereotyped, so unreal, they make me laugh, especially when I see their heads jumping on the walls (when I use the Quad damage and the rocket launcher. I cheat alot in Q1) !

There's a Q1 custom map in which you run in a dark corridor, catacomb like full of zombies, and then, suddenly at the corner, you see that peep-show with all neons flashing ! This is hysterical !

Q3 reminds me cartoons shows on TV, Bugs-Bunny like, road-runner and the coyote, etc. I always found Q3 hysterical, anti-politically correct. I like that kind of humor. It always make me laugh when I got fragged by a player using the Hunter model and which is laughing (Hunter's laugh).

To me, Quake3 isn't really a violent game. It's more like sports and cartoons. Q1 and Q3 doesn't take themselves too seriously. Q2 is too serious.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Marathon has the ultimate story line... but nothing touches HalfLife in regards to playability and game in general. Ive never been so scared, shocked, satisfied as with HL. Especially if you resisted months to play it not reading spoiler guides that tell you the full plot and twists.

(SPOILER for whomever may have never played the game)

At the point you first encounter the Marines, I honestly thought, Thank God, some backup... I went down the stairs, right into them, and suddenly, 3 marines start ducking and weaving, lobbing grenades and MP5s at me!!! I somehow managed to duck behind some crates, return some fire and all the while screaming at the monitor "DAMMIT I'M NOT AN ALIEN IM NOT AN ALIEN STOP SHOOTING!!!" Thinking maybe they were shooting at an alien behind me or something.

There were just so many points in the game you just stop and grin and say "hot damn... that was awesome"

I love HL.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    Quake was NEVER about the singleplayer experience. Single player was thrown in to allow you to get some practice for playing Quake the way it was meant to be played. MULTIPLAYER.

Let none question the almighty perfection of Q2 multiplayer and it's many mods. Ah, such fond memories of college LANs.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Nothing beats Unreal, for old-school FPS action.

It was a stunningly beautiful game that I found to be intensely ingrossing. A lot of people say it is boring, but I find it to be a game that is simply far different from the usual FPS. It is uniquely desolate. The player truly feels as if they have been cast adrift on a strange planet, alone and without a single comfort. Allies are few and far between. Enemies are cunning and ruthless.

An overpowering feeling of lonliness pervades the game, and the action is sparse, but intense.

Unreal was a game that many people attempt to dismiss as boring eye candy, when I feel it is intended to be a concious alternative to the almost mindless click-fests that it was sharing the store shelf with.