Pinky torture: Why the iPhone SE is a one-handed wonder, and the iPhone 6s is not

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    nhughes said:
    sog35 said:
    Could someone please educate me:

Why the HELL would you uses 1 hand to use an iPhone?  (my apologies to people with only one hand)
    Standing for an hour on a crowded train or bus, for one.
    Get a better commute  :D
  • Reply 42 of 56
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    sog35 said:
    Your holding it wrong.
    Buy bigger hands.

oh well. I don't mind using 2 hands. I mean what's the big deal with using two hands anyway?

What the hell are people using their other hand for?
    Driving?
    Eating?
    Picking their nose?
    Carrying a baby?
    jacking?

I don't get this obession with 1 handed use (my apologies to people with only 1 hand)

The real question is can Apple make a 4.7 inch phone with bezel's small enough that 1 handed use it possible?
    You're holding it wrong, not your.
    Obsession, not obession.
    Bezels, not bezel's

You're welcome.
    nhughes
  • Reply 43 of 56
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    sog35 said:
    Your holding it wrong.
    Buy bigger hands.

oh well. I don't mind using 2 hands. I mean what's the big deal with using two hands anyway?

Driving?
    Eating?
    Picking their nose?
    Carrying a baby?
    jacking?

I don't get this obession with 1 handed use (my apologies to people with only 1 hand)

The real question is can Apple make a 4.7 inch phone with bezel's small enough that 1 handed use it possible?
    You're obviously not living in an urban environment nor do you travel a lot: I may hold groceries or carry-on bags while taking a call, checking news, retrieving a boarding pass in PassBook, paying with ApplePay, looking up an address in email, consulting a map; I may be holding on to a pole in a bus or subway while getting my eticket, etc.
    Were I sitting at my desk, I wouldn't need an iPhone, I could use a desk phone and computer for messaging, mail, and voice communications.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    The annoying thing is that Apple decided a long time ago, that smaller means "lower end", even when many want smaller. It's not like more storage hadn't fit, a 128GB version doesn't exist for marketing reasons, unfortunately; otherwise I'd get an SE, but I need the space.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    There is no right or wrong, only preference.

It's funny whoever seems to be on the "other" side of the fence for any given article, tends to feel they have to defend themselves as being right.

I wasn't waiting for a larger phone, in fact I was using a 4S and delayed upgrading to the 5 at launch. The transition to the 5s was very easy, and felt "right", but after a month or so, gave it to the wife for the better camera. I bought a 5 on special a few months later.

So when the 6 was launched, I was ready for a new phone. I was dreading the months leading up there was no direct 4" replacement. Never felt comfortable with the 6, and swapped it for the wife's 5s after 6 months.

I didn't "need" a 6s, but had a good offer so got one. I do find it easier to use thanks to a grippier case and 3D Touch.

My biggest beef with the 4.7" and single handed use is adjusting my grip to go between the Home button and top corners. My top row of icons in Springboard are literally placeholders.

I will miss the larger screen from time to time, but really happy to move back to the SE. I would be very surprised if I didn't skip the iPhone 7 this time.

And why single handed use? I carry stuff. Babies, kids, coffee, all sorts of stuff. I also deliver goods and respond to vendors and customers on the phone with the other hand while walking.

Sure, some here are taking the Mickey or genuinely incapable of understanding why single-handed, comfortable use can be important, but we now all have choices. Don't judge me how I like to use my phone, and I'll reciprocate.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    sog35 said:
    Your holding it wrong.
    Buy bigger hands.

Driving?
    Eating?
    Picking their nose?
    Carrying a baby?
    jacking?

I don't know - all I can think reading this article is, "Boo-frickety-hoo!!", complete with Dr Evil voice and everything. What a waste of time. I guess Huges is really bored with life or something.
  • Reply 47 of 56

sog35 said:
    Could someone please educate me:

Why the HELL would you uses 1 hand to use an iPhone?  (my apologies to people with only one hand)
    When holding onto rails and handles on trains and busses; carrying breifcase; using other hand for iPad mini while reading; holding coffee; slapping boy friend; etc. I guess you aren't a multi-tasker ;)
  • Reply 48 of 56
    rufwork said:

I haven't seen a better archetypal example of "First World Problems" since I complained about early iPod touches' volume buttons' inaccessibility for left-handed users.

Excellent!
  • Reply 49 of 56
    droodroo Posts: 27member
    The phone sex industry will be devastated if people need two hands to hold their phones. 
  • Reply 50 of 56
    same thing with me. that was the only way to hold it for me and it started causing problems with that finger. but i bought a very cheap finger strap that goes on the back of the phone and i can hold it without pain, and actually get a much greater reach across the screen since it doesn't have to be centered in your hand anymore.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    I'm a bleeding edge kind of guy who writes about technology for a living, and so I'll probably need to upgrade to a 4.7-inch "iPhone 7" come September, and once again live with a larger screen. 
    Seriously!? Use HOW to use your bleeding edge technolgy! First, go to Settings->General->Acessability, scroll down to "Reachability" toggle "on" Then, grasp any iPhone 6/6s normally, as you would and 5/5S/5/SE, then LIGHTY double TAP not press, the home button, and Volià! Everything is now reachable with just your thumb, using only one hand! Now, wasn't that much easier then buying a new phone, sacrificing half your data and storage and migrating everything over?
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 52 of 56
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I one-hand my 5s 99% of the time because- wait for it-- I don't need two hands. I damn sure don't need a pinky shelf.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    fallenjt said:
    The only reason you need to use one hand is to enter texts while you drive!
    Cue <face palm>
  • Reply 54 of 56
    ireland said:
    One-handed use is not a reason I prefer the 4" form factor.
    It's one of the main reasons I prefer it, but not the only one.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    broadbean said:

It's funny whoever seems to be on the "other" side of the fence for any given article, tends to feel they have to defend themselves as being right.
    I see it as sad that someone doesn't understand preference and attacks others' differing preferences as being wrong. Case in point, I prefer to use one hand for a phone simply because it's convenient and I see no reason that two hands should be used if one will do. None. It doesn't bother me a bit or one whit that other people use two hands. That's their preference.

But then some whacko wants to give specious reasons for using a phone one-handed and calling a preference an obsession? Nah, not funny, not even funny peculiar... Just- sad. Even sadder is that anybody would have to defend themselves as not being wrong.