Code reaffirms Apple's plan to allow users to hide default iOS apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2016
Changes to iTunes metadata suggest that Apple will soon make it easier to hide first-party apps on the iOS homescreen, solving a long-standing complaint of iPhone and iPad owners.

Image Credit: App Advice
Image Credit: App Advice

Titles on the App Store now have two new keys, "isFirstParty" and "isFirstPartyHideableApp," according to App Advice. The code strings reportedly began appearing a few weeks ago, although their values have so far been set to "false."

That may mean that a future version of iOS will let people hide more -- though probably not all -- default apps. Users have complained that unwanted Apple apps still take up space on the homescreen, and must be moved into folders or separate pages to make room, since they normally can't be deleted.

One exception is iCloud Drive, toggled on or off through the Settings app's iCloud menu. Apple's Configurator tool can also be used to strip native apps, but is intended for businesses, schools, and other organizations.

In September Apple CEO Tim Cook explained that while some default apps can't be removed because of interdependencies, others don't share the same burden and are likely to be removable in the future. Conceivably Apple could implement a way of hiding apps in a later iOS 9 update, or let the feature wait until iOS 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    In before the complaints from entitled maniacs about not being able to completely uninstall the Apps.

Hiding them is more than generous.
    freshmakermike1rhinotuffdewme
  • Reply 2 of 39
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    pmz said:
    In before the complaints from entitled maniacs about not being able to completely uninstall the Apps.

How about dealing with why some people want to remove them in the first place? Or maybe it doesn't bother Apple that someone owns an iOS device but uses gmail, google maps and Microsoft office?
    singularity6Sgoldfishjony0dysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 39
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I don't know what that means. All I've ever heard as reasons to remove stock Apps is:

1) Free up space
    2) Because I own the device and should be able to.

And to both points I say, GTFO. The stock Apps take up negligible space, and no you don't own the OS or any of the software on the device. You may think you own the metal and glass brick around it, and if your device is paid off maybe you do, but that is it. You are not entitled to a goddamn thing.
    jroyfotoformatlkruppjony0
  • Reply 4 of 39
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Thank you Apple!  Looking forward to being able to unclutter my screen a bit
  • Reply 5 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple still needs to incrementally improve 1st party(stock) installed Apps like Calendar,text/messages, phone dialer, Notes,Contacts,email, etc. For most iphone users, stock apps does the job well than why not improve little by little those apps.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 6 of 39
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    the only thing you shouldn't be able to remove is the app store. and also probably settings
    singularity6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 7 of 39
    toukaletoukale Posts: 38member
    How about dealing with why some people want to remove them in the first place? Or maybe it doesn't bother Apple that someone owns an iOS device but uses gmail, google maps and Microsoft office?
    Leave it to some folks who think, just because a vocal minority uses something it must be universal.  You do know while google services are popular with a segment of ios users, it is still a minority.  Apple Maps for example for all it's faults has almost 4x the usage of google maps, same with gmail of office. http://9to5mac.com/2015/12/07/apple-maps-usage-numbers/  ;
    edited April 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 8 of 39
    jroyjroy Posts: 29member
    pmz said:
    I don't know what that means. All I've ever heard as reasons to remove stock Apps is:

1) Free up space

And to both points I say, GTFO. The stock Apps take up negligible space, and no you don't own the OS or any of the software on the device. You may think you own the metal and glass brick around it, and if your device is paid off maybe you do, but that is it. You are not entitled to a goddamn thing.
    Don't know why your comment brings such a smile to my lips, but I fully agree. I've moved the first party apps that I don't normally use to a couple of folders and am perfectly happy. If for any reason I want to check one out, I can find it. Not sure how one will eventually be able to hide some apps, then un-hide them if you change your mind. The "problem" of not being able to completely remove first-party apps ranks way below my level of concern. 
    rhinotuffjony0nolamacguy
  • Reply 9 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    pmz said:

Those apps are mostly deeply imbedded in the OS, removing them won't save much space at all and them being default (and integrated) is why people buy IOS. So, I don't see Apple doing what you want and transforming IOS in a disjointed mess.

Because they are so embedded, removing the front end would likely give back very little space on the phone.

That's like wanting to remove Safari and using Firefox, you're not getting much in return if you do that because they're all using Webkit.

BTW, I plug every Apple app in a folder and stick them on the last screen, never to be seen again; Fiew, that was sure hard.
    icoco3ai46nolamacguy
  • Reply 10 of 39
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:
    I don't know what the big deal. I just leave all the Apps I don't use in a single folder on the last page of Apps.
    I just wish Apple would allow icons on folders. That is the whole reason for icons, so you don't have to read the text description underneath. They let web developers have custom icons on the screen for web page bookmarks. Why not provide a similar functionality for users?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    toukale said:
    Leave it to some folks who think, just because a vocal minority uses something it must be universal.  You do know while google services are popular with a segment of ios users, it is still a minority.  Apple Maps for example for all it's faults has almost 4x the usage of google maps, same with gmail of office. http://9to5mac.com/2015/12/07/apple-maps-usage-numbers/  ;
    I didn't say it was universal. Also, how many people use default apps because they can't be bothered to try anything else or because a link or action automatically opens one of the stock Apple apps?
  • Reply 12 of 39

sog35 said:
    Does Android phones allow you to delete Google Apps?

I don't know what the big deal. I just leave all the Apps I don't use in a single folder on the last page of Apps.
    I'm assuming so as most Google apps are available on the play store and don't require a full OS update to get new festures/bug fixes.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    Some yes. 
  • Reply 14 of 39
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Some of us like a minimal screen and go bonkers having to look at a lot of apps, and yes I know about iOS folders, rather not look at them either. 
  • Reply 15 of 39
    jroy said:
    pmz said:

1) Free up space

Don't know why your comment brings such a smile to my lips, but I fully agree. I've moved the first party apps that I don't normally use to a couple of folders and am perfectly happy. If for any reason I want to check one out, I can find it. Not sure how one will eventually be able to hide some apps, then un-hide them if you change your mind. The "problem" of not being able to completely remove first-party apps ranks way below my level of concern. 

Hiding and unhiding will be easy. In settings there will be a "Hide" section followed by all those nice little on/off toggles for each App that has this ability.

I think some people are missing the bigger picture here. Why does a setting for hiding Apps have to mean it's for people who want to hide the stock Apps they don't use? A perfect use for this would be phones that have a Work and Home setting. This is where you could specify which Apps are hidden depending on if you're using your phone at work or for personal use.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    spice-boy said:
    Some of us like a minimal screen and go bonkers having to look at a lot of apps, and yes I know about iOS folders, rather not look at them either. 
    All default Apps fit in one folder.  Anything beyond that is your own doing.  So, not really sure what the issue is?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 17 of 39
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    People is anal about everything. Stock apps don't bother me one bit.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 18 of 39
    And I wish Apple would allow iOS users to completely remove apps previously downloaded and subsequently deleted from our ongoing AppStore purchase history. Not just hide it, but totally eliminate it. That app for finding Latvian wives that I DL as a joke nine years ago is now just an embarrassment and I don't want my French wife to see that I ever downloaded such a thing. But it's constantly there, begging to be re-downloaded from the clouds.  Please let us move on, unencumbered!!!
  • Reply 19 of 39
    jroy said:
    pmz said:

1) Free up space

You may want to use android phones instead of iphone who allows installed 1st party apps, bloatware apps to be removed !! Ha,ha.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    sog35 said:

For iphone, no big deal as many of us just move apps into folder including needed apps to organize better. For 16GB android phone, android foot print is larger, apps are bigger so there is no space left and can't get rid of any installed/bloatware apps. Now that is pain. Moreover, android stock apps really sucks and 3rd party apps are not that inclusive in features.
    edited April 2016