'iPhone 6 SE' mod kit crams iPhone SE parts into a custom, curved iPhone 6s-like chassis

Posted:
in iPhone
Though some early rumors suggested the iPhone SE would have an iPhone 6-like design, it actually shipped in a chassis virtually identical to the iPhone 5s. However, some Chinese manufacturers have made iPhone SE-sized casings styled like the iPhone 6s, which prompted one publication to build their own fully functional so-called "iPhone 6 SE."

Via Computer Bild.

Taking the parts from an official iPhone SE and cramming them into a new iPhone 6s-style backplate, Computer Bild constructed their own Frankenstein's monster handset. Designed to look like an iPhone 6s, including rounded edges, the backplate comes in a smaller 4-inch form factor to fit the iPhone SE.

The publication warned that building the "iPhone 6 SE" is not for the faint of heart, requiring one of its most experienced engineers and more than two hours of time for the conversion. Things like replacement tape were also necessary to make sure the battery doesn't rattle around inside the case.

"Only attempt the iPhone conversion if you're a pro. If you have never opened an iPhone before, you are most likely going to fail," they advised.

Via Computer Bild.

Knock-off Chinese companies who made the phony "iPhone 6 SE" backplates included the official Apple logo and the iPhone 6 model number, but Computer Bild cautioned that this is not a high-quality part. The Lightning and headphone connectors do not rest flush with the edge of the device, and buttons are difficult to press. There are also some cosmetic changes, including a camera hole that actually cuts through the casing's antenna lines.

Still, considering its low price (rear shells can be bought for under $20), testers said the "iPhone 6 SE" is "suitable for daily use." They believe it may be a better fit for users who have out-of-warranty iPhone 5 units, rather than those looking for a curved chassis for the iPhone SE.

Launched last week, the 4-inch iPhone SE has the same chamfered edges as the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5. Apple is expected to introduce a new look for the flagship 4.7- and 5.5-inch models with a next-generation "iPhone 7" this September.
tallest skil

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    I don't care who you are, that's just cool.
    retrogustotallest skil6Sgoldfishmr oicoco3
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Interesting waste of time and money. I guess they got tired of making unicorn saddles and wanted to target a market with a slightly higher potential number of customers.
    jpellinopscooter63jony0
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    dewme said:
    Interesting waste of time and money. I guess they got tired of making unicorn saddles and wanted to target a market with a slightly higher potential number of customers.
    I stand corrected.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    For those people who missed the camera bump.
    MasterOfDeath
  • Reply 5 of 14
    "This is for someone on a budget who doesn't want to spend money on the iPhone 6"

Call me crazy, but professionally, I bill out at over $200 an hour for my time. If it took this guy 1 hour to dis-assemble, then another to re-assemble, plus whatever time in between, that's $600 of billable time to me and I think you'd be mad not to just spring for the more expensive iPhone if you have any sort of better use of your time.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 14
    firefish said:
    "This is for someone on a budget who doesn't want to spend money on the iPhone 6"

Call me crazy, but professionally, I bill out at over $200 an hour for my time. If it took this guy 1 hour to dis-assemble, then another to re-assemble, plus whatever time in between, that's $600 of billable time to me and I think you'd be mad not to just spring for the more expensive iPhone if you have any sort of better use of your time.
    based on that rational, you don't have hobbies or go out for entertainment. just watching a movie would cost you $600
    bestkeptsecretSpamSandwichVisualSeedcornchip
  • Reply 7 of 14
    When all you have are lemons (I mean phony rumor-mill inspired backplates)...
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 14
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Who'd give up the superior design of the SE for the inferior design of the 6?

The "old" design is functionally superior in that the phone can stand both vertically and horizontally without additional gadgets or things to prop it up; the rounded edges also look very retro and provoke too firm a grip.
    MasterOfDeathpscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    rcfa said:
    Who'd give up the superior design of the SE for the inferior design of the 6?

The "old" design is functionally superior in that the phone can stand both vertically and horizontally without additional gadgets or things to prop it up; the rounded edges also look very retro and provoke too firm a grip.
    Believe me people in China would. 4" iPhone 6SE still looks cooler than a 3 year old iPhone 5S to many who consider a smart phone as jewelry in Asia.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    firefish said:

The more expensive phone is not available in 4" screen.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    firefish said:

Call me crazy, but professionally, I bill out at over $200 an hour for my time. If it took this guy 1 hour to dis-assemble, then another to re-assemble, plus whatever time in between, that's $600 of billable time to me and I think you'd be mad not to just spring for the more expensive iPhone if you have any sort of better use of your timeMasterOfDeath said:
    firefish said:

based on that rational, you don't have hobbies or go out for entertainment. just watching a movie would cost you $600
    firefish lost about $20 reading the article, $20 watching the youtube link, another $5 typing his comment, $5 reading the responses, and $$$ more pissed off and fuming...
    cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 14
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Without the newer apple chipsets and other parts, which I am pretty certain are not inexpensive, you still don't end up with an SE just a lesser phone than you started with.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 13 of 14
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    firefish said:

It was done because....they could.  Nothing more nothing less.  You must have missed playing with tech in the 80's
  • Reply 14 of 14
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    realistic said:
    Without the newer apple chipsets and other parts, which I am pretty certain are not inexpensive, you still don't end up with an SE just a lesser phone than you started with.
    Wonder if they could get someone to buy it thinking it was iPhone 6?