FBI reportedly briefs senators on San Bernardino iPhone hack

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Justice Department has shared, or plans to share, details of its San Bernardino iPhone data extraction technique with high ranking U.S. senators, including Senate Intelligence Committee leaders working on a contentious cybersecurity bill, a report said Wednesday.

According to a National Journal report (via The Verge), FBI officials briefed Intelligence Committee Vice Chair Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) on an iPhone data extraction method successfully applied to a device linked to last year's San Bernardino terror attack. The agency will also provide committee chairman Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) with the same information, the report said.

Burr and Feinstein are currently circulating a draft bill designed to streamline court orders facilitating government requests to encrypted data. While the piece of legislation has yet to be made public, reports indicate provisions that would enable federal courts authority to compel tech company compliance in ongoing investigations.

Today's news is the latest development in a long-running encryption debate sparked by Apple's refusal to help the FBI unlock an iPhone 5c used by San Bernardino terror suspect Syed Rizwan Farook. A federal magistrate judge in February ordered Apple to comply with government requests for assistance, but the company resisted, citing potentially catastrophic fallout of creating a hitherto unknown iPhone encryption workaround.

Just one day before federal prosecutors were scheduled to face off against Apple in an initial evidentiary hearing, the FBI called for a delay, saying an outside party developed a potential data extraction technique. The passcode workaround proved effective and the DOJ's case was withdrawn.

The Justice Department has not divulged the exploit to Apple, but the FBI's top lawyer said yesterday that officials are discussing the matter with company executives.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Senators, FYI. keep it to yourself. Unfortunately, there was nothing important found on the San Bernardino iPhone. We were trying to use it to crack Apple. Dr. Claw: I'll get you next time
    edited April 2016 latifbpjagnutbrakkenrhonin
  • Reply 2 of 18
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    The FBI might as well brief Apple. The US Senate is a sieve and Apple will get the info anyway.
    [Deleted User]SpamSandwichcalilatifbpjagnutjustadcomicsnostrathomasfotoformatrhonin
  • Reply 3 of 18
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Apple did not refuse to unlock the phone; they were unable to unlock the phone.
    nolamacguylatifbpmwhitemattinozjagnutjustadcomicsfotoformatbrakkenSpamSandwichjony0
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Looks like they've been passing the extraction technique like a joint..keep it up and it'll get to people who shouldn't.
    jagnutnostrathomaswonkothesanejony0
  • Reply 5 of 18
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    High-ranking senator: "Can you crack my daughter's iPhone?  I think she's doing drugs."

FBI: "She's doing a lot more than just drugs."
    jagnutfastasleepfotoformatjony0
  • Reply 6 of 18
    "Senators, we found two names on the iPhone that relate to the case: Jack and Schitt."
    jony0rhonin
  • Reply 7 of 18
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    You know Apple is working on even stronger security.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  The FBI will not be able to defeat the next version of iOS .
  • Reply 8 of 18
    CMA102DLCMA102DL Posts: 121member
    So can they kill the stupid bill after the FBI shows them how they cracked the iPhine?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    volcan said:
    You know Apple is working on even stronger security.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  The FBI will not be able to defeat the next version of iOS .
    Not to mention all of the additional layers you can have now like password protecting notes, app passwords, etc. Application level protections on data will mean that if they get into the phone, they still won't have all of the application data. Considering how much can be happing in those apps, they are still going dark more and more. This is a very good thing from my perspective. 
    rhonin
  • Reply 10 of 18
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    wood1208 said:
    Senators, FYI. keep it to yourself. Unfortunately, there was nothing important found on the San Bernardino iPhone. We were trying to use it to crack Apple. Dr. Claw: I'll get you next time
    Hahaha so good! Penny and Brain are now running through my head. Love it!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    I really wish AI articles would include insight rather than just basic facts. SO dull. 
    The best stories are not about what and where, but how and why. 
    And why do AI articles always read as though the audience are new to the Internet, Apple, and society in general? 
    I want Dilger!
    icoco3
  • Reply 12 of 18
    So today Comey said they purchased the tool used to get into the iPhone.

The most interesting part? He stated it only works on a narrow range of devices excluding the "newer models and the 5S".

In other words, it doesn't work on any 64bit device using the A7/8/9 with a secure enclave. 
    longpath
  • Reply 13 of 18
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    Is there any aspect of Liberty or her oath to uphold and defend the Constitution that Senator Feinstein actually takes seriously?
    buzdots
  • Reply 14 of 18
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Feinstein needs to go! We need to inundate these morons with the stupidity of their actions.
    edited April 2016 unbeliever2buzdots
  • Reply 15 of 18
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    brakken said:
    I really wish AI articles would include insight rather than just basic facts. SO dull. 
    The best stories are not about what and where, but how and why. 
    And why do AI articles always read as though the audience are new to the Internet, Apple, and society in general? 
    I want Dilger!
    +1 for a DED analysis
  • Reply 16 of 18
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    "Senators, we found two names on the iPhone that relate to the case: Jack and Schitt."
    I am well acquainted with Jack and the whole Schitt clan.  They are an "entertaining" group of individuals.  B)
    buzdotsjustadcomics
  • Reply 17 of 18
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member

longpath said:
    Is there any aspect of Liberty or her oath to uphold and defend the Constitution that Senator Feinstein actually takes seriously?
    There is only aspect that Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) cares about; her power.  All else comes second.
    Smart lady, however, has a serious "me" complex.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    For as much as I dislike many of Trump's positions, I will vote for him if Feinstein introduces this bill. 

I liken it to pushing the nuclear button. If the government is going to spy on me, then might as well have have the executive branch spying on congress and the Supreme Court members also. And Trump would spy on everyone, including Feinstein herself. 

Having the opportunity to put a man like Trump into office is a powerful option. Congress will have to behave itself. Or he will hold they themselves accountable also.