Samsung sees 10% profit growth on better-than-expected sales of flagship Galaxy S7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    I forgot to say - I wanted to find out what os it was running because the phone had split screen for apps if you wanted. I used it a few times to see if it was something useful but then found myself never using it and didn't like it.

Anyways it was running 5.1.1 whatever flavour that is. So I try a software update. Uhh huh, no way - your software is up to date. The latest updates have been dl'd and installed.
    So my point is, here's this phone which they're still selling here in NZ for about $900 unable to run the latest Os and unlikely to be able to.
    iphone 6s is around 1100 here and their s7 is about 1200. The s7 edge is a whopping 1370 ish. Base model prices.

Buy a Sammy ? Nah - waste of money.
    edited April 2016 propod
  • Reply 22 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    holy crap that phone on top looks nearly identical to an iPhone 6. had to do a double-take.
    If you want to see nearly identical for real check out the HTC A9.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    Lately I've seen more Samsung Galaxy S phones than iPhones, so people are buying them. 
    Where do you live? Korea?
    Hipster haven Brooklyn, NY. 

I have seen someone in a $600 a month public housing apartment and someone on the same street but in a $2 million brownstone have the same Samsung phone. They live near each other but socioeconomically they are worlds apart. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 24 of 61
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    So the smartphone space isn't actually dead?

That's nice.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

cnocbui said:
    hammerd2 said:
    200% order rise from f all is still only 3 f alls. 

If I were a Samsung investor I doubt I'd be turning cartwheels over a 10% rise in 'consolidated operating profit'. There's a lot of accountancy double dealing to play with behind that phrase. 
    I didn't see anyone here complaining the pre-orders for the SE were f'all.  Those amounted to 3.4 M.  Pre-orders for the S7 in China hit 10 M in 4 days.
    since when did the SE become apple's flagship device?
    hammerd2ration alRayz2016
  • Reply 26 of 61
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    I'm seeing a lot of BYGO on the new phones I wonder if this profit bump is really due to the new phones.

What about AT&T doing BYGO on the iPhone, does that not count?

Also, the manufacturer still gets paid for these phones, and the network is still getting a contract, they aren't free
  • Reply 27 of 61
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    jason98 said:
    You see, Tim, all it takes to return a company to growth is just making something best in business for a consumer: namely the camera (http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-Edge-Mobile-Review-A-new-champion) and the screen: (http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm#Conclusion: "the Galaxy S7 becomes the Best Performing Smartphone Display that we have ever tested").

When was the last time iPhone had something best in the industry? 
    2010, iPhone 4 - Retina display
    2013, iPhone 5s - Touch ID

And when do you say are going to upgrade the screen? 2018?
    Tim, with all respect you should leave.
    Every new iPhone has been consistently reviewed as the absolute best smartphone someone can buy at its release. By pretty much every single publication. The iPhone is consistently by FAR the best selling smartphone on the planet. So, Tim Cook should "leave", because Apple didn't shit out a new phone the day after the S7 was released? The S7 was literally just released, and its a phone that is 6 months newer than Apple's flagship. Yet, you're concern trolling, as if Apple needs to somehow break its release cycles and spam out phones to coincide with Samsung's releases, like an amateurish, insecure, reactionary company. You speak as if Apple's latest phones are failures, when they're in fact the best selling and best reviewed in the world. And you're comparing a just released Samsung phone to one that is almost a generation old, and drawing insanely asinine conclusions. And because of that, Tim should "leave"? 
    edited April 2016 brucemcpatchythepirateRayz2016
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Here ya go:

How Samsung Built a Winner With the Galaxy S7 - FORTUNE
    https://apple.news/AW-CQKvRDS_2y6t1PJXTHug

Not much in the way of new or interesting features. But thicker and heavier, and full of 'extras':  free VR headset, BYGO offers, and even free TV's with the purchase of an S7!  

Consolidated profits may go up a little, but consolidated margins are gonna shrink heavily. They're just making the same mistakes they've made for years. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 29 of 61
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:
    People are still buying these Korean knockoffs?!!

SMH. Faith in humanity lost.
    What else are they supposed to buy? Believe it or not, not everyone is like us and likes/love iPhones/iOS. It good to have choices. 
    Flip phones, blackberries with keyboards and you're right not much choice after iPhone.

jason98 said:
    You see, Tim, all it takes to return a company to growth is just making something best in business for a consumer: namely the camera (http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-Edge-Mobile-Review-A-new-champion) and the screen: (http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm#Conclusion: "the Galaxy S7 becomes the Best Performing Smartphone Display that we have ever tested").

Well if you don't read media and live in reality iPhone has been the best since 2007.
    I wouldn't even consider cheap spyware/bloatware knockoffs competition. Do people compare Jordan shoes to cheap Jordan knockoffs? Or does this logic only apply to Apple?(of course!)

• Reply 30 of 61
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    jason98 said:

Uh, iPhones are used for photography more than any other phone in the world, are known for taking great photos, and are considered to have the best overall cameras? Your statement makes no fucking sense whatsoever. 

Oh, and:

"An almost $100 price cut on the S7 from the S6 and numerous special offers were critical to stoke early demand, Shah says. Samsung and mobile carriers gave away virtual reality Gear headsets, tablets, and even a 48-inch TV set with some sales. U.S. carriers also offered two-for-one deals to customers adding lines."

Again, you're full of shit. Turns out, throwing in everything along with the kitchen sink for your "awesome" product also helps sales. But no, clearly the phone is selling on tis own merits, and sales have nothing to do with the shitload of incentives and giveaways this desperate company is including, right?
    patchythepirateRayz2016
  • Reply 31 of 61
    hammerd2hammerd2 Posts: 50member
    cnocbui said:
    hammerd2 said:
    200% order rise from f all is still only 3 f alls. 

If I were a Samsung investor I doubt I'd be turning cartwheels over a 10% rise in 'consolidated operating profit'. There's a lot of accountancy double dealing to play with behind that phrase. 
    I didn't see anyone here complaining the pre-orders for the SE were f'all.  Those amounted to 3.4 M.  Pre-orders for the S7 in China hit 10 M in 4 days.
    This wasn't an article about the SE which is why I didn't comment on the SE. 
  • Reply 32 of 61
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    The S7 is a fine phone. It's just hobbled by a buggy, insecure OS that goes obsolete super-fast. It seems like Samsung is slowly figuring out that copying Apple didn't work that well, so they're trying to do their own thing. Good idea.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    slurpy said:
    jason98 said:

Uh, iPhones are used for photography more than any other phone in the world, are known for taking great photos, and are considered to have the best overall cameras?

No, the iPhone camera isn't considered to be the best.

staticx57
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Since the Galaxy S7 was released a full month (and a fiscal quarter) earlier than the S6 (March 11 / Q1 2016 vs April /Q2 2015) a mere 10% profit increase for Q1 2016 isn't at all impressive. You're comparing it to a time when the S5 was in it's last quarter as their flagship and customers were anticipating the imminent release of the next model.

Having stated that they tripled first month sales versus 2015's S6 launch, one can only deduce that the S7 profit margins must be relatively slim.
    palladium
  • Reply 35 of 61
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jason98 said:

Hey Genius, The iPhones's been growing from 2007 to late 2015. Like you said, they weren't best in a spec list battle over that time but they had the best damn phone.

What's good about Sammy's display if the OS sucks sh1t. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 36 of 61
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    cnocbui said:
    I'm seeing a lot of BYGO on the new phones I wonder if this profit bump is really due to the new phones.
    Name the places you can get this.  I have only seen reference to two US carriers that offered this for a very limited time period.  It is not a world-wide phenomenon and i think it likely the cost of this was entirely being met by the two carriers who were just piggybacking on the announcement interest in order to try and grab some new customers.

Orders for the S7 are reportedly up in the Netherlands 250% compared to the S6, and over 60% of those are for the more expensive Edge version.  Carphone Warehouse in the UK said orders were up 200%.
    T-Moblie and AT&T have buy one get one. There are deals all over for the S7 models. You can get an S7 from Best Buy for $1. Walmart is offering $150 off the S7 models. A quick search reveals all the deals. If you preordered an S7, you received a Gear VR set for free. Sales seem to be a little higher for the S7, but don't get ahead of yourself. We don't know how many phones have actually ended up in consumer hands. I imagine S7 sales will decline due to the other new Andorid phones coming out. 
  • Reply 37 of 61
    john12345john12345 Posts: 152member
    This is wrong.  Samsung didn't start selling S6 last year until Q2, so of course their Q1 sales were lower last year than this year.   I bet their Q2 sales will be lower than last year.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 38 of 61
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    redefiler said:
    Actual sales numbers, or it didn't happen.
    YoY 10% growth for entire company, not mobile division. I don't believe S7 actually help the growth much, but chip division. I'll wait for earning release to see.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I've seen the new S7 and it's gorgeous. No wonder their sales have increased. 
    Hurry up iPhone 7! I don't want to start becoming jealous of friends with the S7.

6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 40 of 61
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    On March 31, the last day of first quarter, Apple started selling the new iPhone SE which beats Samsung Galaxy S7 in both battery life and performance.  And iPhone SE starts at $399 as compared to the overpriced S7 which is more than $649.  I think Android users are really idiots.