Apple posts 'Behind the Scenes' video for popular Cookie Monster Siri ad

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Thursday released a behind-the-scenes video for "Timer," its extremely popular TV ad featuring Sesame Street's Cookie Monster and the iPhone 6s' always-ready "Hey Siri" command.

The new video consists mostly of alleged outtakes from the original ad, such as Cookie Monster being hit in the head by a film slate. It continues the plot however, showing him actually finishing and eating the cookies, as well as wishing Siri goodnight when he goes to bed.

"Timer" has become one of Apple's most popular TV commercials in recent memory, chalking up nearly 9 million views on the company's official YouTube channel.

While "Hey Siri" has been available to trigger Siri for some time, traditionally the option has only worked with a device connected to power, unlike Android's "OK Google."

More recent iOS devices support "Hey Siri" while running off battery power. These include the iPhone 6s/6s Plus, the iPhone SE, and the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, but not the 12.9-inch Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    This is great. I loved the first one with Cookie Monster, and this follow up is fun too.

One of the best celebrity ads from Apple, IMO.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Me wish me could close eyes
    tallest skilradarthekatnetmage
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    This is a fun advertisement. Very well conceived and enjoyable, but it probably invokes more empathy for the character than it does for the product they are trying to sell. The goodwill points still make it worthwhile for Apple's investment. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dysamoria said:
    Me wish me could close eyes
    Some of the best SS humor is when they break the fourth wall.
    radarthekatration al
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    It drives me nuts when my phone response and does what he says while my phone is docked and charging.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    The county could use a bit more Cookie Monster and a bit less political hyperbole from the FBI and Justice Dept.  Two blue thumbs up for Apple.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    jbdragon said:
    It drives me nuts when my phone response and does what he says while my phone is docked and charging.
    The video doesn't activate mine since I voice trained the 6S+. I left the phone right by the computer when I my kid played the video like 30 times in a row.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Funniest thing ever!