Apple says Mississippi 'religious freedom' bill 'empowers discrimination'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2016
An avid promoter of civil rights, Apple on Thursday voiced concern over Mississippi's "religious freedom" house bill that was signed into law this week by Governor Phil Bryant, a piece of legislation opponents say is a tool for discrimination against LGBT individuals.

In a statement to The Clarion Ledger, Apple said it was disappointed to see the passage of HB 1523, also known as the Protecting Freedom of Conscience from Government Discrimination, which detractors claim protects discriminatory actions against LGBT people.

"We want Mississippians to know that our stores and our company are open to everyone, regardless of where they come from, what they look like, how they worship or who they love," an unnamed Apple representative said.

The bill's language protects citizens who deny goods and services to members of the LGBT community on the basis of religious convictions. In particular, there are three religious tenets safeguarded by HB 1523: marriage is reserved to one man and one woman; sexual relations are reserved to married couples; and the definition of "male (man) or female (woman)" refer to a person's "biological sex as objectively determined by anatomy and genetics at time of birth."

Mississippi's edict is the latest in a series of religious freedom bills circulating in the American South. North Carolina and Georgia recently passed LGBT-related laws, while state legislatures in Tennessee and South Carolina are mulling similar bills.

Today's statement echoes Apple's response to the passage of a North Carolina house bill that prohibits transgender people from entering bathrooms, locker rooms and other facilities inconsistent with the gender listed on their birth certificate. Apple CEO Tim Cook later joined more than 80 business leaders in signing an open letter penned by the Human Rights Campaign asking Governor Pat McCrory and the North Carolina General Assembly to repeal the law.

Apple has long positioned itself as a proponent of civil rights, taking on issues from diversity in the workplace to LGBT rights. Along with internal initiatives, like highlighting LGBT apps on the App Store, the company takes an active role in community efforts. In 2014, Apple participated in San Francisco's LGBT Pride Parade as a sanctioned group for the first time, fielding some 5,000 Apple employees including Cook and other executives. The company took part in the parade again last year.
antkm1oseame

Comments

• Reply 1 of 147
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    An open letter is a good gesture, but if they really want to make a statement, Apple and other big companies would threaten to leave the states in question.  What better way to say FU than to take away tax revenue.  Since most conservative states want the US to be run 'like a business', why not speak the language of business.  
    latifbpceek74ration aldysamoriaiosenthusiastmoreckaaronj
  • Reply 2 of 147
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 544member
    Just an observation. I do like the products by Apple. Yeah, I know I'll get the dislikes but corporations need to have one policy throughout the different markets. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/7/paypal-apple-lecture-north-carolina-do-business-in/?page=all#pagebreak
    nathanimalicoco3allmypeople
  • Reply 3 of 147
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I've always found it quite ironic that Apple and other companies are quick to criticize certain states, and they're quite vocal about it, yet these same companies are completely ok with selling their products in countries where it's actually illegal to be LGBT and they just might execute you for it too. When it comes to those countries, mum's the word, our lips are sealed.

Apparently, money trumps LGBT rights and even LGBT lives. What other reason is there for Apple being in such countries? What other excuse is there?

Speaking as an Apple stock holder, I wouldn't mind one bit if Apple were to completely pull out of certain countries, and not sell any products at all to Saudi Arabia for example. Apple can do without the revenue from a small group of countries that are completely barbaric. I'm not sure if Apple has done it yet, but I even remember reading a while back about how Apple was looking to get into Iran, where you sometimes might find gays hanging from cranes.

I'm not even gay, but I am apparently more for gay rights than Apple is, because no way would I do any business with any of these barbaric countries.

What's next? Is Apple looking to sell devices to ISIS also? I'm sure that there's some revenue to be made there. Their gays simply get thrown from tall buildings.

edited April 2016 cornchipicoco3dasanman69designrjes42cullyalmondrocaallmypeoplejbdragonSithFran
  • Reply 4 of 147
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    And here we go, Apple supporting Tim Cook's rainbow-colored view of the world again.

I have an idea... Why doesn't Apple get out of politics and try focusing on closing security holes?
    tallest skilicoco3designrwaltgcullyallmypeoplebuzdotsjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 147
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I trust Apple won’t be discriminating against Mississippi (or North Carolina or anywhere else) when choosing locations for their data centers, et. al.?

antkm1 said:
    ...Apple and other big companies would threaten to leave the states in question.  What better way to say FU than to take away tax revenue.
    “OH NO YOU HORRIBLE FUCKING BIGOTS I HATE YOU YOU’RE NOT TOLERANT ENOUGH! WE’LL SHOW YOU! WE’LL JUST LEAVE AND NEVER COME BACK! WE DON’T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS!”

I was... joking when I wrote my first sentence. I mean... what the fucking hell? Why would I want to believe that leftists actually think this way, and yet here’s an actual example proving it right. Just like the thousands of others we see every day. It gets difficult to want to give these people any actual venue. Three quotes:

Moral cowardice that keeps us from speaking our minds is as dangerous to this country as irresponsible talk. The right ways is not always the popular and easy way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character.

– Margaret Chase Smith

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

– Arthur Schopenhauer

Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.

– Aristotle

edited April 2016 cornchipdasanman69designricoco3buzdotsjbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 147
    There is a difference between not discriminating and being forced to abandon ones personal beliefs.  This latest movement is yet another and an endless series of attempts to marginalize or suppress Christianity.

For example, take a random mom and pop Christian bakery with a gay couple as customers.  Most would not have problems selling items to the couple, but when it comes to endorsing or celebrating that gay union (bake a cake by that bakery, with those names on the cake, in the bakers box), then they have the right to draw a line, if not an obligation.  Within their religion and most closely-held beliefs, to make that cake is wrong, and places their own souls at jeopardy for not doing what they believe to be right.

Sure, there are tons of other bakeries, but none cares.  They want to force the Christians to do something that is against their beliefs.

I'd like to see this tried in muslim communities.  When good ol' Butch and Billybob go to there to order a "wedding" cake and stir up some kind of controversy, it ends up with a couple beheadings.

It's very easy to judge people.  We always want justice for others but mercy for ourselves.  Why do you think that difference exists?
    tallest skilgenovelleadrayvenmacseekercornchipking editor the gratedesignricoco3waltgallmypeople
  • Reply 7 of 147

antkm1 said:
    An open letter is a good gesture, but if they really want to make a statement, Apple and other big companies would threaten to leave the states in question.  What better way to say FU than to take away tax revenue.  Since most conservative states want the US to be run 'like a business', why not speak the language of business.  

Apple will not pull out or do anything else other than "take positions."  Just to be clear, I think Apple has already done too much on this topic;  I purchased Apple stock as an investment for my money, not to get dragged into political crap such as this.  Apple is a publicly-traded business.  When the rubber meets the road, the ONLY thing that matters to companies such as this is profit.  I applaud some of their initiatives, such as "going green".  But they aren't doing so to save the planet, but rather because doing so is an investment in the public consciousness that they feel will pay dividends in U.S. Dollars down the road.  It's the same with everything they do.  And the same that every company does.  It's just business.  It's an unfortunate truth.
    edited April 2016 tallest skilcornchipicoco3waltgcullybuzdots
  • Reply 8 of 147
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . ★ R E M E M B E R - I N - N O V E M B E R
    . . . . . . . . . . . .T H A T . R E P U B L I C A N S . D I D . T H I S . T O . Y O U ! 
    singularitybrakkeniosenthusiastmoreckpalomine
  • Reply 9 of 147
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,666member
    Actually the law simply empowers religious freedom. 

Gay people don't need to have their lifestyle choices held above religious freedom. 

Sorry. 

Just st leave it alone tim. There is nothing there that would threaten a gay person. 

It it simply gives substance to religious freedom. That's a good thing. 
    cornchipdesignricoco3waltgcullynathanimalroake
  • Reply 10 of 147
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    roake said:
    And here we go, Apple supporting Tim Cook's rainbow-colored view of the world again.

I have an idea... Why doesn't Apple get out of politics and try focusing on closing security holes?
    Because with other companies protesting against the law it would look really bad if Apple didn't. Homosexuals have a lot of money and they buy a lot of Apple kit.  This isn't politics, this is business. 
  • Reply 11 of 147
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    roake said:
    There is a difference between not discriminating and being forced to abandon ones personal beliefs.  This latest movement is yet another and an endless series of attempts to marginalize or suppress Christianity.

For example, take a random mom and pop Christian bakery with a gay couple as customers.  Most would not have problems selling items to the couple, but when it comes to endorsing or celebrating that gay union (bake a cake by that bakery, with those names on the cake, in the bakers box), then they have the right to draw a line, if not an obligation.  Within their religion and most closely-held beliefs, to make that cake is wrong, and places their own souls at jeopardy for not doing what they believe to be right.

Sure, there are tons of other bakeries, but none cares.  They want to force the Christians to do something that is against their beliefs.

I'd like to see this tried in muslim communities.  When good ol' Butch and Billybob go to there to order a "wedding" cake and stir up some kind of controversy, it ends up with a couple beheadings.

It's very easy to judge people.  We always want justice for others but mercy for ourselves.  Why do you think that difference exists?
    Is this fake Christian victimization really necessary?
    oseamejroysupadav03dysamoriaiosenthusiastmoreckbancho
  • Reply 12 of 147
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    roake said:

I totally agree. I don't understand why lgbt groups feel the need to push their beliefs onto everyone else. No one else can have an opinion, no one else can disagree with lgbt. If you disagree with Lgtb then you're wrong, you're phobic and you're intolerant. LGBT will NOT tolerate other people's beliefs or opinions, it's just totally unacceptable to have your own views. If they're allowed to have their opinion, why aren't I allowed to have mine?
    cornchipdesignrroakeboltsfan17tallest skilmacseekerbuzdotsjbdragonnathanimal
  • Reply 13 of 147
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    apple ][ said:
    I've always found it quite ironic that Apple and other companies are quick to criticize certain states, and they're quite vocal about it, yet these same companies are completely ok with selling their products in countries where it's actually illegal to be LGBT and they just might execute you for it too. When it comes to those countries, mum's the word, our lips are sealed.
    Buuullshit! At what point would any, ANY, company have the right to determine another countries' values, huh? Apple is a US company and had EVERY right to comment! Your superficial reaction reflects your poor political views. Try 'soverignty'. It's a rare concept, I know, but fundamental to all concepts of rights, be they personal, cultural or national. If you wish to alter anothet country's cultural or religious principles, please try. I look forward to the responses you get. A word of advice: don't use a back hoe when a bit of wet-and-dry is reqired, right?
    edited April 2016 ration aliosenthusiastmoreckbancho
  • Reply 14 of 147
    PneumaPneuma Posts: 1member
    Christians need to start trying to commission cakes from gay bakeries that say "Homosexuals Are Hell-Bound" - or something similar - so that these ridiculous people can understand what protecting your freedom of conscience means.

I wish the south would just peacefully secede from the union again, as they did before.  The cultural difference between the two halves of the country is just too great to try to govern both sides.  Neither can be happy - again, just like before - so separate and be good neighbors instead of trying to live in the same house.
    cornchipiosenthusiastjbdragonmoreck
  • Reply 15 of 147
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Actually the law simply empowers religious freedom. 

Gay people don't need to have their lifestyle choices held above religious freedom. 

Sorry. 

Just st leave it alone tim. There is nothing there that would threaten a gay person. 

It it simply gives substance to religious freedom. That's a good thing. 
    It's great! The Missies have just ensured the right of every Hindi to refuse, er, anyone, just in case, the Muslims to refuse everyone, the Christians to refuse whoever their current gripe is with, and on to infinity. 

What kind of country you want? 
    jroysupadav03dysamoriaiosenthusiastmoreckhmmbancho
  • Reply 16 of 147
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    roake said:

I purchased Apple stock as an investment for my money, not to get dragged into political crap such as this.  Apple is a publicly-traded business.
    Don't like Apple's direction? You have three options as a shareholder:

1. Lead/join a shareholder rebellion
    2. Sell your stock
    3. Put up with it

edited April 2016 oseamejroyration aldysamorialatifbpiosenthusiastpropodmoreckbancho
  • Reply 17 of 147
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    brakken said:

Your superficial reaction reflects your poor political views. Try 'soverignty'. It's a rare concept, I know, but fundamental to all concepts of rights, be they personal, cultural or national. 
    So according to your wonderful political views, it's ok to kill gays if it happens in a country where it's legal, because of 'soverignty'?  :#

And who said anything about changing another country? Apple can simply decide to not do business in such countries. Nobody is forcing Apple to be in those sorts of places. The country can remain how it is, they can kill gays all day long if they wish, but at least Apple wouldn't be operating in such countries if they had good principles.

edited April 2016 dasanman69
  • Reply 18 of 147
    oseameoseame Posts: 73member
    leighr said:
    roake said:

I totally agree. I don't understand why lgbt groups feel the need to push their beliefs onto everyone else. No one else can have an opinion, no one else can disagree with lgbt. If you disagree with Lgtb then you're wrong, you're phobic and you're intolerant. LGBT will NOT tolerate other people's beliefs or opinions, it's just totally unacceptable to have your own views. If they're allowed to have their opinion, why aren't I allowed to have mine?
    You can disagree all you like, you just can't discriminate. Anyway, shouldn't you be leaving the judgement up to god and turning the other cheek if you really are a Christian?
    jroydasanman69ration alrob53supadav03dysamorialatifbpiosenthusiastpropodroundaboutnow
  • Reply 19 of 147
    roake said:

The "cake baking" argument has never made sense from a Christian standpoint, as you could just as easily sell a cake to an adulterer or thief as to a gay person. What's the difference supposed to be? If people REALLY believed that their soul was in jeopardy depending on the lifestyle of the customer, wouldn't they require background checks for everyone before they sold them a cake?
    dasanman69ration alsupadav03dysamoriaiosenthusiastroundaboutnowmorecknathanimalbanchoSithFran
  • Reply 20 of 147
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    leighr said:
    roake said:

These are not beliefs or opinions, this is what these people ARE, like being foreign, these people do not choose to be gay they are, just like some are white or tall. You are not born a christian. Christianism is a belief or opinion. Discriminating against BEING gay is the same as discriminating about BEING white or BEING Short. Tolerance is accepting that others are different from you.
    ration aldysamoriasingularitylatifbpiosenthusiastpropodmoreckbanchoSithFran