Apple Watch Hermes bands to be sold separately, come in 4 new colors on April 19

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple and French fashion house Herm?s on Thursday revealed an upcoming expansion to their collaborative Apple Watch effort, unveiling four new band colors and announcing that each luxury leather accessory will be available for individual purchase later this month.

Apple and Herm?s chose to break the news through various fashion outlets like Elle, which said the new editions are due to arrive at Apple Store and Herm?s outlets on April 19. Herm?s also updated its dedicated Apple Watch website with color and pricing details.

When Apple Watch Herm?s launched last October as a special luxury package -- a stainless steel Watch with special watch faces and exclusive leather straps -- included bands were offered in Fauve (deer brown), Etain (tin gray), Capucine (red), and Bleu Jean (blue). Color availability was dependent on size and style.

In two weeks, the bands become standalone accessories for the first time, and Herm?s will add peacock blue, sapphire blue, white and its iconic orange shade to its Apple Watch palette.

As for pricing, individual bands start at $340 for 38mm and 42mm Single Tour versions. The 42mm model will be available in sapphire blue, deer brown, fire orange and black, while the 38mm version adds white and peacock blue to that list.

The popular Double Tour design, limited to 38mm Apple Watch models, sells for $490 for both regular and long strap lengths. Regular models will be available in white, peacock blue, sapphire blue, tin gray, deer brown and fire orange, while the "long" edition comes in deer brown. Finally, the large 42mm Cuff design will sell for $690 and is limited to deer brown.

Initially available only at select brick-and-mortar locations, Apple Watch Herm?s went up for online sale in January. Whether Herm?s plans to extend the new colorways to complete device and strap packages is unclear.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    By the way, this story needs proofreading. Hermès appears as "Herm?s" in the story.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Interesting. Many said this wouldn't happen. I wonder what's changed?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mac_128 said:
    I expect they sold much more than expected and people which bought the watches with the bands wanted to be able to buy many colored bands without having to buy another watch.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    foggyhill said:
    mac_128 said:
    I expect they sold much more than expected and people which bought the watches with the bands wanted to be able to buy many colored bands without having to buy another watch.
    Hermes has long had a quiet policy of selling existing customers replacement bands. But now anyone with an Apple watch can buy a Hermes band without first buying the watch. Moreover, they can do it at a substantial discount over the Hermes Watch. Currently, I can pick up a 38mm Milanese Loop at Target for $549. I can buy a signature Double Tour band at Hermes for $490. That's $211 off the retail price of the 38mm Hermes Double Tour edition Watch of $1250. And I also get a 2nd very nice watch band essentially for free. Even at Apple retail for the Milanese, I'm still saving $111, and getting two bands for the price of one. And that's to say nothing of buying a Sport to wear with the bands, which results in a $461 savings at retail, including a second band!

This definitely takes some of the exclusivity off of buying the Hermes edition. Not sure why they wouldn't have at least priced the bands so that they didn't compete with the Hermes edition.  
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I'm curious though how one could get the Hermés watch face on your  Watch? As pointed out above, the Stainless Steel watch can be bought with a simple Sport band brand new pretty cheaply, and a used one on eBay can be had for less than $400. Add the Single Tour band to it, and you have 97% of the look for a serious discount, BUT you won't have the Hermés  watch face.
    sflagel
  • Reply 6 of 16
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    mac_128 said:
    foggyhill said:
    Hermes has long had a quiet policy of selling existing customers replacement bands. But now anyone with an Apple watch can buy a Hermes band without first buying the watch. Moreover, they can do it at a substantial discount over the Hermes Watch. Currently, I can pick up a 38mm Milanese Loop at Target for $549. I can buy a signature Double Tour band at Hermes for $490. That's $211 off the retail price of the 38mm Hermes Double Tour edition Watch of $1250. And I also get a 2nd very nice watch band essentially for free. Even at Apple retail for the Milanese, I'm still saving $111, and getting two bands for the price of one. And that's to say nothing of buying a Sport to wear with the bands, which results in a $461 savings at retail, including a second band!

This definitely takes some of the exclusivity off of buying the Hermes edition. Not sure why they wouldn't have at least priced the bands so that they didn't compete with the Hermes edition.  
    I am surprised they don't at least require you to bring a Hermes to the shop (that way, you would at least have to know someone who will lend you their Hermes if you want to mix an match your own stainless steel). But in any case, you won't have the Hermes watch faces. And I think that is as important, if not more, than the band. You pay for the design. Especially since the standard watch faces are all dreadful (possibly intentionally so, see my next paragraph).

What surprises me is that Apple has not gotten more brands to issue their own Apple Watches, such as a Tag Heuer Apple Watch, a Montblanc Apple Watch, a Dunhill Apple Watch, etc. This would take some of the remaining "nerd" stigma from the Apple Watch as people would probably pay more attention to *which* Apple Watch you are wearing. You'd be seen as wearing a Dunhill, not a tech gadget bought at an electronics store. None of the watch makers that pride themselves on movements will do this (such as Rolex, Panerai, Patek), but the luxury brand watch makers will.

(My wife wears a Hermes and it is much nicer and more sophisticated than a normal Apple Watch; and while I bought the Sport to try the Watch out, I do want to upgrade when the next design comes out to a more upmarket design, and would be more than happy to pay a premium for a Montblanc or Omega watch face and band)
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 7 of 16
    sflagel said:
    What surprises me is that Apple has not gotten more brands to issue their own Apple Watches, such as a Tag Heuer Apple Watch, a Montblanc Apple Watch, a Dunhill Apple Watch, etc. This would take some of the remaining "nerd" stigma from the Apple Watch as people would probably pay more attention to *which* Apple Watch you are wearing. You'd be seen as wearing a Dunhill, not a tech gadget bought at an electronics store. None of the watch makers that pride themselves on movements will do this (such as Rolex, Panerai, Patek), but the luxury brand watch makers will.

(My wife wears a Hermes and it is much nicer and more sophisticated than a normal Apple Watch; and while I bought the Sport to try the Watch out, I do want to upgrade when the next design comes out to a more upmarket design, and would be more than happy to pay a premium for a Montblanc or Omega watch face and band)
    Honestly, I find it pathetic that some people bought into that "exclusive Hermes watchface" nonsense. While I would never spend thousands on a fancy watch like some do, I can understand the appeal. But paying extra because of some silly watchface that required all of 5 minutes of coding and is not available on the ordinary version of the watch just so that the more expensive one can appear fancier, now THAT gives a new meaning to superficial and vapid. Trust me, you and your wife are being seen as complete douchebags.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 8 of 16
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    sflagel said:

It could be that Hermes negotiated an exclusivity period. Also, Tag Heuer is trying their hand at Android Watch, and Swatch (which owns a lot of other brands) is trying its own thing.

Hermes also makes sense because of the bands (they are noticeably nicer than the standard Apple bands).
  • Reply 9 of 16
    kpom said:
    It could be that Hermes negotiated an exclusivity period. Also, Tag Heuer is trying their hand at Android Watch, and Swatch (which owns a lot of other brands) is trying its own thing.

Hermes also makes sense because of the bands (they are noticeably nicer than the standard Apple bands).
    I'm gonna say period of exclusivity. Because the options are not pretty -- i.e. other brands, like Tiffany or Dunhill, aren't interested. On the other hand, just how far does Apple want to dilute their brand? Surely they don't want to be seen a "movement" maker for a designer label ...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    mac_128 said:
    foggyhill said:

Well, if they sell 100 times more bands and half 50% of the profits, that may explain things. That would be more than a hundred million just for bands :-).
  • Reply 11 of 16
    foggyhill said:
    mac_128 said:

Well, if they sell 100 times more bands and half 50% of the profits, that may explain things. That would be more than a hundred million just for bands :-).
    And yet, Hermes could have been doing this for years with their other watch bands, raking in these kinds of penitential profits from willing customers who want the Hermes leather on a watch they purchased elsewhere. Why change their exclusive business model now?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    mac_128 said:
    foggyhill said:
    And yet, Hermes could have been doing this for years with their other watch bands, raking in these kinds of penitential profits from willing customers who want the Hermes leather on a watch they purchased elsewhere. Why change their exclusive business model now?

Because Apple Watch really created a third-party ecosystem for interchangeable bands with its two simple sizes and it innovative connector. How do I swap bands easily between my Rolex, Baume and Mercier, Movado, etc? So this creates a market, and Herme's is being smart here. My wife has been wanting the Double Tour for a while, but already has a 38mm...

• Reply 13 of 16
    mac_128 said:
    foggyhill said:
    Maybe they're seeing the writing on the wall.
    Better being the consort of the rising king than the leader of a ruined land

Watch sales are about to fall off the cliff and Hermes knows it.
    Hermes realizes that doing its own sub par Android Watch is not going to cut it; they don't have the expertise.

Selling accessories for smart watches correspond more to their core business than fighting Apple on watches.
    Hermes doesn't just sell watches, in fact its just one of 14 products they sell.

With Apple going into Upmarket fashion and Hermes still being a small fashion firm ($4B sales) compared to other giants like Louis Vuiiton, they're a nice fit

A more prominent watchmaker or fashion house would probably have more difficulty integrating with Apple's products.

Hermes gains exposure to group that maybe were buying from other fashion brands.

• Reply 14 of 16
    thrang said:
    mac_128 said:

Because Apple Watch really created a third-party ecosystem for interchangeable bands with its two simple sizes and it innovative connector. How do I swap bands easily between my Rolex, Baume and Mercier, Movado, etc? So this creates a market, and Herme's is being smart here. My wife has been wanting the Double Tour for a while, but already has a 38mm...

That's not the issue at all - the issues is that Hermes has never previously sold their watch bands separately for use as a one-time swap with a customer's own third party watch. Now anyone can buy a Hermes watch band without buying a Hermes watch, through Apple's website -- they don't even have to go into a Hermes store. It devalues the brand, especially when you consider that it sells for up to several hundred dollars less than buying the |Hermes watch edition itself. It will be interesting to see if Hermes starts selling the watch bands for the watches they manufacture to customers who have never purchased one before. In which case, great -- Hermes may simply be getting into the business of selling stand alone watch bands. However if they don't then I have to wonder what's going on here, and exactly what Hermes is getting out of it beside money.

And then where does it stop? If Hermes sells their exclusive leather watch bands, what about their exclusive digital watch faces? Why not sell those and make even more money with those, whether a customer buys the Hermes edition watch or not?
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 15 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I'd like to get a Cuff but I just don't feel right spending $690 for it. Worse, I've yet to find a leather band as nicely crafted anywhere near the level of the Hermès.

A few people showed me they're Hermans Cuff, some knock off they got from eBay or Amazon and said "Look, it's just like the real thing!"

No, no it's not. I look at those bands and they scream KNOCKOFF!! If they're happy with a Rolexx or whatever fine. I'm not.

• Reply 16 of 16
    Some interesting comments about Hermes seeing the writing on the wall.  We each have Rolexes, insured at $ 10,000 each.  Those are mothballed.  We only wear our Apple watches.  Who wants a regular watch?

My wife previously ordered a single tour Hermes from Apple to go with her Apple Watch.
    Just got a Hermes Apple Watch with the double cuff for a 50th anniversary gift.   
    Faces are great, and the included orange sport band with the Hermes stamp, matches the orange dials perfectly.  Sharp look.  So now my wife is wearing the orange sport band most of the time.  Who knew?

What I don't like.  When you spend. $ 1499 for a Watch, you should get a choice of colors.  Not so.  The brown comes with it.  You want a different color, it's another $ 699.  

Recommend you order one with the less expensive single tour, and buy the double cuff in your preferred color, separately.  Or, just wear the orange sport band most of the time, and the leather on occasions. The watch is waterproof, not the leather band.