Samsung sees 10% profit growth on better-than-expected sales of flagship Galaxy S7

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    sog35 said:
    Sad I'm not surprised.

3. Get rid of physical home button. Use 3D touch to unlock phone and fingerprint scan through the glass.

I saw tech people posting this all the time. IMO, it will be suicidal for Apple to do so. Home Button is where iPhone is superior to Android for non-tech users. It's so easy to understand. It provide visual and concrete clue to how you start using the phone and getting back once you're lost. Beside, Touch ID on Home Button is so natural, you don't have to reach for anything. It's just waiting for you there.
    When you're a leader you shouldn't be reactionary. You should lead.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 42 of 61
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    cnocbui said:
    hammerd2 said:
    200% order rise from f all is still only 3 f alls. 

If I were a Samsung investor I doubt I'd be turning cartwheels over a 10% rise in 'consolidated operating profit'. There's a lot of accountancy double dealing to play with behind that phrase. 
    I didn't see anyone here complaining the pre-orders for the SE were f'all.  Those amounted to 3.4 M.  Pre-orders for the S7 in China hit 10 M in 4 days.
    According to your post's history, Sammy phone pre-order never failed, EVER, whatever model. lol.
    edited April 2016 anantksundaram
  • Reply 43 of 61
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    jungmark said:
    jason98 said:
    You see, Tim, all it takes to return a company to growth is just making something best in business for a consumer: namely the camera (http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-Edge-Mobile-Review-A-new-champion) and the screen: (http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm#Conclusion: "the Galaxy S7 becomes the Best Performing Smartphone Display that we have ever tested").

When was the last time iPhone had something best in the industry? 
    2010, iPhone 4 - Retina display
    2013, iPhone 5s - Touch ID

And when do you say are going to upgrade the screen? 2018?
    Tim, with all respect you should leave.
    Hey Genius, The iPhones's been growing from 2007 to late 2015. Like you said, they weren't best in a spec list battle over that time but they had the best damn phone.

What's good about Sammy's display if the OS sucks sh1t. 
    Although I agree with you that Android OS sucks, it is still a subjective matter. What is objective are the two reviews that I mentioned above. These guys are not fanboys, but reputable professional reviewers who do their job with scientific approach. It is really a shame for Apple that both camera and screen now lag behind the competition. And yes, there is a person who is responsible for it. 
    6SgoldfishcnocbuiChris46
  • Reply 44 of 61
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sog35 said:
    Sad I'm not surprised.

Like it not the S7 is a very nice looking phone. No ugly antenna lines, very small bezel's, and very nice oled screen.

Its time for Apple to pick up their game again. If iPhone 7 isn't the nicest looking phone in the market I will be very disappointed. 

What would I like the iPhone7 to look like?

1. No ugly antenna lines
    2. Very close to zero bezel. But with a software bezel when the phone is in certain modes. The phone would look ridicuously awesome without any bezel. Software can make it practical to avoid unwanted touches.
    3. Get rid of physical home button. Use 3D touch to unlock phone and fingerprint scan through the glass.

But this isn't just for looks. It will also make the phone much more pocketable.  And if software options to control software bezels, the phone could even be a one handed phone in certain modes. 
    Here you go...again. 
    1. 6 and 6+ blowout sale proved that antenna lines ain't an issue...cosmetically.
    2. Zero bezel: what functional benefit? software bezel and one hand use can't be a good combo.
    3. Physical button: a lot people don't even use Touch ID. Home button is there for a reason.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    fallenjt said:
    redefiler said:
    Actual sales numbers, or it didn't happen.
    YoY 10% growth for entire company, not mobile division. I don't believe S7 actually help the growth much, but chip division. I'll wait for earning release to see.
    That's why anybody should take Samsung's financials and shipment volumes with a big grain of salt. While Apple doesn't give a specific breakdown of their iPhone models, they are at least a ton more honest in this regard by not lumping every division together and weasel-wording their way out to make things look better than it is.

Even assuming if their mobile division profit grown by 10% it would only grow their current 11% overall profit share to a a still measly 12.1%. Which is actually quite pathetic considering they front-loaded sales by releasing their S-cycle a month earlier.

The real shocker in the article was how epic fail the S6 was. Only 3M (globally I presume) in the first month? While 3.2M preorders of the iPhone SE in China alone is depicted as a disaster for Apple.

edited April 2016
  • Reply 46 of 61
    domino67domino67 Posts: 34member
    I'm seeing a lot of BYGO on the new phones I wonder if this profit bump is really due to the new phones.
    Huh?.....because giving things away always helps increase profit margins.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    sog35 said:
    Where do you live? Korea?
    Hipster haven Brooklyn, NY. 

I have seen someone in a $600 a month public housing apartment and someone on the same street but in a $2 million brownstone have the same Samsung phone. They live near each other but socioeconomically they are worlds apart. 
    I have no doubt that those two data points are sufficient for us to herald the arrival of the newest, and this-time-for-sure, iPhone killer. 

/s
    ration al
  • Reply 48 of 61
    bluefire1 said:
    I've seen the new S7 and it's gorgeous. No wonder their sales have increased. 
    Hurry up iPhone 7! I don't want to start becoming jealous of friends with the S7.

Switch. Problem solved.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    matrix077 said:
    sog35 said:
    Sad I'm not surprised.

I saw tech people posting this all the time. IMO, it will be suicidal for Apple to do so. Home Button is where iPhone is superior to Android for non-tech users. It's so easy to understand. It provide visual and concrete clue to how you start using the phone and getting back once you're lost. Beside, Touch ID on Home Button is so natural, you don't have to reach for anything. It's just waiting for you there.
    When you're a leader you shouldn't be reactionary. You should lead.
    You raise a great point. There is also the issue of how a non-physical home button will impact the sight-challenged. 
    ration al
  • Reply 50 of 61
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    ration al said:
    Since the Galaxy S7 was released a full month (and a fiscal quarter) earlier than the S6 (March 11 / Q1 2016 vs April /Q2 2015) a mere 10% profit increase for Q1 2016 isn't at all impressive. You're comparing it to a time when the S5 was in it's last quarter as their flagship and customers were anticipating the imminent release of the next model.

Having stated that they tripled first month sales versus 2015's S6 launch, one can only deduce that the S7 profit margins must be relatively slim.
    Not at all.  Samsung make a lot of phones at a whole range of price levels.  They sell a lot more phones than Apple 319.7 M in 2015 vs Apple's 231.5 M.  It's unlikely that Samsung's flagship phones make up more than a quarter of their total, so a large increase in S7 sales isn't going to shift  the needle as much, as 75% of their sales and profit might be static.  So an increase of 10% actually indicates they make a very good margin on the S7, which stands to reason as they are much more vertically integrated than Apple.  In an S7, Samsung will have made the Exynos processor, the display panel, the memory, the battery the modem and probably a good fraction of the other components.  The only component I can think of in an S7 Samsung didn't make is the Gorilla glass.  Even the S7 models with the Qualcom processor - Samsung made those too.  The S7 are sold at iPhone prices, so Samsung have possibly even larger margins than Apple, as they are making just about everything in it so get all the component profit as well as the overall device profit.

• Reply 51 of 61
    6Sgoldfish6Sgoldfish Posts: 108member
    From where I see it the S7 Edge, admittedly well designed and having positively incorporated critique (ie. by shaving off the S6's volcanic camera bump), is placing Apple's 'S' tick tock cycle into question. It used to make sense to offer a faster horse in the same shell in the days of 3GS and 4S, when the industry was still shellshocked by the iPhone killing it in every direction. But the competition nowadays has picked up the pace to such extent that the S increments just don't cut it anymore. Chinese knockoffs like Huawei slavishly copy even the rumors surrounding Apple's devices (eg. dual camera) long before Apple manages to unveil a finished product that all but confirms the rumor mill. Apple's products are better polished and operative, you'll say, and I agree. Problem is, competitors are starting to do the same convincingly enough to invoke fatigue over Apple's annual product announcements. And while Apple consumers (myself included) refuse to leave the great iOS experience/ecosystem, we've come to expect more than self-congratulatory (pink) gold versions of the same products year after year. I want to see Apple surprise and impress again, and I strongly wish the rumors of iPhone 7 being another safe incremental update are bogus. If the S7 can achieve such popularity as to shake up the Cupertino ivory tower, I'm all for it. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 52 of 61
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    domino67 said:
    I'm seeing a lot of BYGO on the new phones I wonder if this profit bump is really due to the new phones.
    Huh?.....because giving things away always helps increase profit margins.
    No what I meant is I find it hard to believe this profit jump is due to the new phones since (according to the WSJ) there are a lot of 2 for 1 deals out there. I wouldn't be surprised if the profit jump is coming from someplace else.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    From where I see it the S7 Edge, admittedly well designed and having positively incorporated critique (ie. by shaving off the S6's volcanic camera bump), is placing Apple's 'S' tick tock cycle into question. It used to make sense to offer a faster horse in the same shell in the days of 3GS and 4S, when the industry was still shellshocked by the iPhone killing it in every direction. But the competition nowadays has picked up the pace to such extent that the S increments just don't cut it anymore. Chinese knockoffs like Huawei slavishly copy even the rumors surrounding Apple's devices (eg. dual camera) long before Apple manages to unveil a finished product that all but confirms the rumor mill. Apple's products are better polished and operative, you'll say, and I agree. Problem is, competitors are starting to do the same convincingly enough to invoke fatigue over Apple's annual product announcements. And while Apple consumers (myself included) refuse to leave the great iOS experience/ecosystem, we've come to expect more than self-congratulatory (pink) gold versions of the same products year after year. I want to see Apple surprise and impress again, and I strongly wish the rumors of iPhone 7 being another safe incremental update are bogus. If the S7 can achieve such popularity as to shake up the Cupertino ivory tower, I'm all for it. 
    Don't even know what the hell your talking about the A9 still kicks the performance ofthe S7 up and down the road, there's 3d touch, and it beats it on weight, size to feature, battery life and fingerprint scanner.

The only place where the S7 has a marked advantage on the Iphone 6s is in the Camera; the screen is arguable.
    The 6s can stay 30 min under water, that's pretty much considered water proof for most humans.
    What the frack else does it even have?

You do know that Samsung has been promoting the shit out of their phone, probably spending 3-5B dollars in a few months (Apple usually spends 1/3-1/4 of that), including cutting margins to death, yet they got 10% up in profits from the near bottomless pit they had last year and that's a sign of doom for Apple! (and that includes profits from everything mobile, not just phones). That just means they're not cratering anymore, not exactly a second coming.

We'll see how the year ends before writing an "obit"

Samsung swings their design year to year but all in all they're slavish Apple copiers still, they're even copying faster than they did before.
    edited April 2016 studiomusic
  • Reply 54 of 61
    6Sgoldfish6Sgoldfish Posts: 108member
    foggyhill said:
    Don't even know what the hell your talking about the A9 still kicks the performance ofthe S7 up and down the road, there's 3d touch, and it beats it on weight, size to feature, battery life and fingerprint scanner.

The only place where the S7 has a marked advantage on the Iphone 6s is in the Camera; the screen is arguable.
    The 6s can stay 30 min under water, that's pretty much considered water proof for most humans.

You do know that Samsung has been promoting the shit out of their phone, probably spending 3-5B dollars in a few months (Apple usually spends 1/3-1/4 of that), including cutting margins to death, yet they got 10% up in profits from the near bottomless pit they had last year and that's a sign of doom for Apple! (and that includes profits from everything mobile, not just phones). That just means they're not cratering anymore, not exactly a second coming.

Samsung swings their design year to year but all in all they're slavish Apple copiers still, they're even copying faster than they did before.
    I'm talking design while you are responding with knee-jerk, irrelevant (erroneous, even) points. Eg. screen not only isn't arguable, according to displaymate.com "Galaxy S7 becomes the Best Performing Smartphone Display that we have ever tested." 3D Touch is a cool feature that still oscillates between practicality and gimmickry. I didn't mention waterproofing. But since you went there, I'll say the SD slot is a nice addition, and a 32GB base offering makes perfect sense. The software side is the usual Touchwizz-Android abomination, but I'm sure you noticed me lauding the iOS experience before dishing out, right?

I don't really care how much Samsung has spent on marketing, nor have I issued an Apple "obit". Simply a word of caution, as one of the many Apple fans out there who find their recent designs, well, derivative and boring. At the end of the day, it's OK to admit that the S7 Edge is a prettier looking phone than the 6S Plus. 
    edited April 2016 singularitysirlance99cnocbui
  • Reply 55 of 61
    cnocbui said:
    ration al said:
    Since the Galaxy S7 was released a full month (and a fiscal quarter) earlier than the S6 (March 11 / Q1 2016 vs April /Q2 2015) a mere 10% profit increase for Q1 2016 isn't at all impressive. You're comparing it to a time when the S5 was in it's last quarter as their flagship and customers were anticipating the imminent release of the next model.

Having stated that they tripled first month sales versus 2015's S6 launch, one can only deduce that the S7 profit margins must be relatively slim.
    Not at all.  Samsung make a lot of phones at a whole range of price levels.  They sell a lot more phones than Apple 319.7 M in 2015 vs Apple's 231.5 M.  It's unlikely that Samsung's flagship phones make up more than a quarter of their total, so a large increase in S7 sales isn't going to shift  the needle as much, as 75% of their sales and profit might be static.  So an increase of 10% actually indicates they make a very good margin on the S7, which stands to reason as they are much more vertically integrated than Apple.  In an S7, Samsung will have made the Exynos processor, the display panel, the memory, the battery the modem and probably a good fraction of the other components.  The only component I can think of in an S7 Samsung didn't make is the Gorilla glass.  Even the S7 models with the Qualcom processor - Samsung made those too.  The S7 are sold at iPhone prices, so Samsung have possibly even larger margins than Apple, as they are making just about everything in it so get all the component profit as well as the overall device profit.

Samsung says about half the 10% operating profit increase is from mobile. Mid-to-Low end smartphones have much narrower profit margins than the Galaxy line. Selling three times as many S7's in the first month after launch as S6's in last year's anemic launch is where the profit is coming from. The comparative profit increase still looks pretty weak as a result, despite it being touted all over the financial press.
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 56 of 61
    cnocbui said:
    So an increase of 10% actually indicates they make a very good margin on the S7, which stands to reason as they are much more vertically integrated than Apple.  In an S7, Samsung will have made the Exynos processor, the display panel, the memory, the battery the modem and probably a good fraction of the other components.  The only component I can think of in an S7 Samsung didn't make is the Gorilla glass.  Even the S7 models with the Qualcom processor - Samsung made those too.  The S7 are sold at iPhone prices, so Samsung have possibly even larger margins than Apple, as they are making just about everything in it so get all the component profit as well as the overall device profit.

Apple's limited product line gives it much bigger scale (and thus purchasing power) despite shipping 90m fewer phones. Based on your estimate of 25%, Samsung are making only 80m S7's versus Apple's nearly 200m 6(+) and 6S(+) sold in a year.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    foggyhill said:

I'm talking design while you are responding with knee-jerk, irrelevant (erroneous, even) points. Eg. screen not only isn't arguable, according to displaymate.com "Galaxy S7 becomes the Best Performing Smartphone Display that we have ever tested." 3D Touch is a cool feature that still oscillates between practicality and gimmickry. I didn't mention waterproofing. But since you went there, I'll say the SD slot is a nice addition, and a 32GB base offering makes perfect sense. The software side is the usual Touchwizz-Android abomination, but I'm sure you noticed me lauding the iOS experience before dishing out, right?

I don't really care how much Samsung has spent on marketing, nor have I issued an Apple "obit". Simply a word of caution, as one of the many Apple fans out there who find their recent designs, well, derivative and boring. At the end of the day, it's OK to admit that the S7 Edge is a prettier looking phone than the 6S Plus. 
    I don't give a crap what you deem irrelevant or not BUD.
     How your fracking score all of this is all about you; you're not a panel of potential Apple buyers all by yourself.

You do know shreaking violins  like you were touting you crap loud and clear last year too; think we forgot all of that.
    What difference did it make in the end?

Performance is behind a 6 month old phone, it's even worse when you actually use the phones
    (because of my job I have access to almost all type of phones).
    That's one thing that's fracking important for a phone don't you think; but, hey not for you, mr impartial (sic).

How is it irrelevant that their pissing 5B to push a phone and try to gain traction, they spent nearly 10B for the whole year last year (estimated)
    That conveniently doesn't enter in their profit and loss for the division (because of the way advertising is entered in the financials),
    but means the phones are still likely losing money for the company.

We have to guess everything about them because they're known for massaging their numbers A LOT, unlike Apple.

If McD was pushing their crap with 10B advertising, people would call it force feeding (and they do);
     but if Samsung does it, well who knows what Samsungs flock of robot buyers will think of that.
    And they call Apple Fans "Sheep"... Good grief.

As for the rest, You are concern trolling as usual, OK "non fan"... So spare me the blah blah blah.

applepieguy
  • Reply 58 of 61
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    sog35 said:
    I'm talking design while you are responding with knee-jerk, irrelevant (erroneous, even) points. Eg. screen not only isn't arguable, according to displaymate.com "Galaxy S7 becomes the Best Performing Smartphone Display that we have ever tested." 
    Sorry but displaymate.com is the not the authority on which screen is better.
    Just because displaymate.com says its the best means crap really.
    Just visit displaymate.com.  The site looks straight from 2005, so dated. That just tells me displaymate.com isn't a big player and could easily be 'bought out' by Samsung.

From personal experience using my OWN EYES (which is the only eyes that matter to me) the S7 colors are oversaturated. The colors are off.  The greens look radioactive and everything pops way too much. I guess if you want something that looks flashy then the S7 is for. In contrast the iPhone screen looks nature and the colors look accurate. More realistic. People say the S7 image POPS. But do things POP in real life?  I say no.  
    If you had bothered to read the article instead of dismissing it you would see they tested it with the calibrated setting not the over-saturated setting. 
    cnocbui6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 59 of 61
    foggyhill said:

I don't give a crap what you deem irrelevant or not BUD.
     How your fracking score all of this is all about you; you're not a panel of potential Apple buyers all by yourself.

You do know shreaking violins  like you were touting you crap loud and clear last year too; think we forgot all of that.
    What difference did it make in the end?

Performance is behind a 6 month old phone, it's even worse when you actually use the phones
    (because of my job I have access to almost all type of phones).
    That's one thing that's fracking important for a phone don't you think; but, hey not for you, mr impartial (sic).

How is it irrelevant that their pissing 5B to push a phone and try to gain traction, they spent nearly 10B for the whole year last year (estimated)
    That conveniently doesn't enter in their profit and loss for the division (because of the way advertising is entered in the financials),
    but means the phones are still likely losing money for the company.

We have to guess everything about them because they're known for massaging their numbers A LOT, unlike Apple.

If McD was pushing their crap with 10B advertising, people would call it force feeding (and they do);
     but if Samsung does it, well who knows what Samsungs flock of robot buyers will think of that.
    And they call Apple Fans "Sheep"... Good grief.

As for the rest, You are concern trolling as usual, OK "non fan"... So spare me the blah blah blah.

Wow, someone's butthurt. I'm not a one man panel and you're not Ive's white knight, so why don't you take it down a notch? Fancy how you pulled out all this nonsense just by me saying the S7 Edge looks pretty and Apple's recent designs are derivative. You should go out more, and by that I don't mean the Apple Store. 
    edited April 2016 staticx57cnocbuisingularitymjhnl
  • Reply 60 of 61
    sog35 said:
    Where do you live? Korea?
    Hipster haven Brooklyn, NY. 

I have seen someone in a $600 a month public housing apartment and someone on the same street but in a $2 million brownstone have the same Samsung phone. They live near each other but socioeconomically they are worlds apart. 

You can afford it when you live in the projects.