Review: Apple's 4" iPhone SE is better than we deserve

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    portcityportcity Posts: 68member
    I have various Apple devices and the iPhone 5SE is a nice phone, but I do not agree that it is "better than we deserve". Sure it starts at $399, but it is essentially a phone Apple put together from its own recycling bin, and sells it as new. Every component comes from either the 5s, 6, or 6s which makes this phone dirt cheap to make with crazy profit margins.  That's Cook's Apple, and it's certainly not better then we deserve. 
    braderunnerAirunJaechuck1252cnocbui
  • Reply 82 of 98
    archenaarchena Posts: 8member
    I am really having a hard time with my old 5S and now really need to upgrade and on a tight budget and so I do think that SE is my choice for now.
  • Reply 83 of 98
    kiowavt said:
    3D touch is, to me at least, so much nothing. As annoying as it is handy. If this had been available when the iPhone 6s Plus came out, and I needed a new phone to enable a switch to T-Mobile I would have chosen it. Still had my 5s cases then, too. :-)
    IMHO 3D Touch is the worst feature I've seen in the iPhone line. It's so confusing especially compared to what's now known as the long press. Not to mention most apps don't support it and where it's supported it does things you can't predict. When you're in a hurry the confusion is maddening.  (Force touch is a mess on the Watch, too.) I think it's a blessing they left it out of the SE.
  • Reply 84 of 98
    Really wish Apple would get rid of the 16 GB device in order to up sell consumers and just have it as an option for Businesses. With 4K Video and Live Photos, 16 GB gets gobbled up in no time and compromises the user experience. I feel that 64 GB needs to become the intro level as the actual price difference between 16 & 64 is negligible. Can stuff be stored on the cloud, sure, but that's not always convenient if WiFi is not accessible.
    jackansipulseimagescnocbui
  • Reply 85 of 98
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    AirunJae said:
    Really wish Apple would get rid of the 16 GB device in order to up sell consumers and just have it as an option for Businesses. With 4K Video and Live Photos, 16 GB gets gobbled up in no time and compromises the user experience. I feel that 64 GB needs to become the intro level as the actual price difference between 16 & 64 is negligible. Can stuff be stored on the cloud, sure, but that's not always convenient if WiFi is not accessible.
    And I still don't see what the issue is. The SE even with 64GB still costs $50 less than the iPhone 6, and $150 than the 6s. 

16GB is not the end of the world, and for someone who can't afford an additional $100 to get 64GB, they may due with what they can afford. 

I can't fault Apple for pricing their devices in a manner that consistently sells. They have a premium brand and that image has to be maintained. If someone wants an iPhone they have to pay the price. I'd rather have Apple offer a more affordable alternative with limited features than cut out an entire market segment who simply can't afford it.

I don't disagree with you that more storage would make for a better experience for a non-tech customer who doesn't know the difference. However, I buy iPhones. So I don't bother to think about the base model prices. I only think in terms of what the phone I need is actually going to cost. It's like buying a car ... when the advertisement says that monthly payments for well-qualified customers start at $xx, then people shouldn't be upset when that doesn't include leather, and heated seats, and a v8, or that they don't qualify for the starting price because they don't have good enough credit. 
  • Reply 86 of 98

n June 2012 I purchased the Retina MacBook Pro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43QzpyCMbGE)  as soon as it was announced. I maxed it out: 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel 3rd generation i7 2.7GHz. It was the most incredible computer.

This machine is now 4 years old and  out of warranty. I’d love to buy a new one -in fact, I would have loved to buy one a year ago which is my typical cadence (2.5 years). But Apple have effectively released the same machine continuously in all the time since June 2012 (admittedly with faster SSD bus speeds). Intel had released 5th gen processors (i7-5950HQ) when Apple refreshed its MacBooks last year that would have allowed 32 GB, and also SSD over 1TB was possible. Instead, we got a new touchpad – whoopty do.

If Apple doesn’t come up with a Mac-related announcement today, they’d be making a serious mistake. Especially with regard to Pro users. The iPad Pro was a pretty cherry to the iPad cake last year, as a content creator next to the more consumption-oriented iPads, but it cannot make a dent for the desktop/laptop crowd.

Those who have remained with Apple nowadays are doing so out of habit. The crowd that they won over from the PC camp years ago have started to go back due to Apple’s stagnation. That’s the worst risk with depending on a single hardware/software vendor model. Unhappy with Mac hardware choices? Tough. If you’ve bought into the ecosystem, you must buy whatever Apple offers because there is no alternative …other than to complain on a forum. Apple’s and other technology giants decay - essay on effects of technology .

• Reply 87 of 98
    jedicsjedics Posts: 1member
    ireland said:
    I believe Apple would do well and be clever to offer iPhone 7 in 3 sizes: 4.2" (or 4), 4.7" and 5.5".

Even if it means the 4" model must be slighter thicker than is brethren and priced up there with the regular model. Oh, and naming it iPhone 7 mini is a no-brainer. I also wish Apple would give all iPhone 7's camera parody with no features exclusive to the plus model. Let the difference between these phones be price, display size and possibly battery life to some extent as guided by physics. Perhaps making them thicker as they go smaller would be a clever way to offer battery-life parody.

iPhone 7 mini (4.2" x 8.1 mm), iPhone 7 (4.7" x 7.1 mm), iPhone 7 plus (5.5" x 6.1 mm). All with dual-cameras.
    Couldnt agree more, my samsung s2 was the perfect size to me at 4.3 inch while I like the SE it definitely seemed a touch to small. I like the idea of them getting fatter as they get smaller to for battery life. Now can I live with a phone that only has 64 gig that can shoot 4k is the question, come on apple that is almost useless, dont get me started about how that amazing 4k video STILL records audio in mono.
  • Reply 88 of 98
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jedics said:
    . Now can I live with a phone that only has 64 gig that can shoot 4k is the question, come on apple that is almost useless, dont get me started about how that amazing 4k video STILL records audio in mono.
    Because there's so much stereo separation on a phone's low quality mics? I'd love to hear why you think this is so essential. And where would you put the stereo mics -- on the top and bottom for landscape filming, or on the sides for portrait filming? Or all four corners? And would they be on the edges, or on the back? If you want HQ audio to go with your HQ video, plug in an HQ stereo mic. Otherwise, it's just as pointless as stereo speakers on a device this small.
    baconstang
  • Reply 89 of 98
    6Sgoldfish6Sgoldfish Posts: 108member

Shall we go ahead and just all agree to pretend the 16GB SKU doesn't exist and quote $499 as the price for discussion's sake? 

edited April 2016 jackansichuck1252hjmnl
  • Reply 90 of 98
    I get that this is apple insider, but a little less cow-in-the-slaughter-house, passive enthusiasm would be nice. You don't work for apple. You are allowed to be critical. That helps the whole process. I have to hand it to you that you are able to rave about every change and also everything they didn't change except when they did change it in the 6 and then also rave about that. Apple has 12-megapixel cameras and A9 chips in bulk and recycled and unsold phones in droves. $400 is what the top-of-the-line iphone almost immediately dropped to after it came out yet was still massively profitable. Technology across the board gets cheaper at the same rate it gets better. Inflation, resource cost increase, Rube Goldberg solutions for simple self-created problems, and extra extra apple tax don't justify the top-of-the-line phone being over $800 9 years later. We've been loyal apple customers paying bigger and bigger premiums on stuff that's a bit better for years. Case and point out of many dozens: you acknowledging the better screen in the 6, which we pay more money for, isn't really noticeably better than the old screen. How in the smack is throwing a couple of decent jewels and fresh coat of paint on what would otherwise be discarded and charging $400 for it, "better than we deserve?" Demand better, get better.
    jackansipulseimages
  • Reply 91 of 98
    Ireland: Parity. But agreed.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 92 of 98
    scottjdscottjd Posts: 64member
    A few more differences you left out of the cons list.
    LTE channel 30 is gone from both models

They both don't have the following bands and frequencies like all the iPhone 6S models do.
    TD‑LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
    TD‑SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
    CDMA EV‑DO Rev. A (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

And neither SE iPhone model has MIMO WiFi so they had to remove and antenna or two for the smaller size, so slower wireless connection and possibly weaker WiFi range connection.

Now add the above to your list of cons when compared to the iPhone 6s and you will have a full accurate list of differences. OK, now I'm done critiquing.☺

Personally I didn't think I would like the bigger 6S and was disappointed that my smaller option was a plastic iPhone when I upgraded last time, but it has grown on me. If I had the option of the SE then I probably would have bought that one. I guess it's better l didn't since l bought the Verizon one full price.

Verizon is the only one that cares if the phone was hat made far Verizon, but have had it on Att since I bought it. Now I have an unlocked phone that can go on any network, except Sprint. No Loss since I don't like Sprint anyway. So I like having my options now without any contract, and faster AirDrop and file transfers with MiMo WiFi connection speeds on Wireless AC. It comes in handy when transferring large 4k videos to my file server at the faster connection rate. I wonder if Apple got slack for making a phone that did all frequencies from the big US carriers like ATT and Verizon, except T-Mobile since they don't seem to care. Oh, and the 128 GB also is good to have with 4k video's, I almost forgot about the SE not having the 128GB option.

So for those reading this review trying to decide between the 6s and SE for your next iPhone you may want to consider some of my points l mentioned. Especially if you are going to use it for 4k video and transfer the 4k video over WiFi to edit them on another computer or to a network NAS (share) for storage.

So maybe the 6S was the better choice after all for me.
    Thanks for the review,
    Scott
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 93 of 98
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Went to the Apple store the other day, and saw these first hand. They look good. They actually look better than the 6 series. I'm looking to sell my 6s plus and my wife's 6, and we'll both buy SEs. My 6s Plus is both too big and too heavy. The 6 is a compromise: less battery and camera than 6s plus, but too big for one-handed use, and slippery as heck (both 6 phones). Going back to the classic design, and portability.
    baconstang
  • Reply 94 of 98
    chuck1252chuck1252 Posts: 22member
    Bought the SE 64 G.  Had the 5S.  Aside from the annoying lockup when rotating the keypad on the 5S, absolutely no discernible difference. 
  • Reply 95 of 98
    pulseimagespulseimages Posts: 593member
    Brendon12 said:

n June 2012 I purchased the Retina MacBook Pro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43QzpyCMbGE)  as soon as it was announced. I maxed it out: 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel 3rd generation i7 2.7GHz. It was the most incredible computer.

This machine is now 4 years old and  out of warranty. I’d love to buy a new one -in fact, I would have loved to buy one a year ago which is my typical cadence (2.5 years). But Apple have effectively released the same machine continuously in all the time since June 2012 (admittedly with faster SSD bus speeds). Intel had released 5th gen processors (i7-5950HQ) when Apple refreshed its MacBooks last year that would have allowed 32 GB, and also SSD over 1TB was possible. Instead, we got a new touchpad – whoopty do.

If Apple doesn’t come up with a Mac-related announcement today, they’d be making a serious mistake. Especially with regard to Pro users. The iPad Pro was a pretty cherry to the iPad cake last year, as a content creator next to the more consumption-oriented iPads, but it cannot make a dent for the desktop/laptop crowd.

Those who have remained with Apple nowadays are doing so out of habit. The crowd that they won over from the PC camp years ago have started to go back due to Apple’s stagnation. That’s the worst risk with depending on a single hardware/software vendor model. Unhappy with Mac hardware choices? Tough. If you’ve bought into the ecosystem, you must buy whatever Apple offers because there is no alternative …other than to complain on a forum. Apple’s and other technology giants decay - essay on effects of technology .

I'll be pissed if the next MacBook Pro's RAM isn't allowed to be maxed out to 32GB.
    hjmnl
  • Reply 96 of 98
    ozzieboyozzieboy Posts: 22member
    Several people have commented on the article headline; I agree, it probably could have a better headline. Whatever.

A nice review, but this phone gets about 3.5 stars for me. Glaring absence of 128gb option is a deal killer for this 5s 64 owner. I'm a power user  (mostly music and photos) and don't like the 6 form factor. I have iTunes Match but it only goes so far when your signal isn't that great. Glad to see they brought the 5 back, but I'm waiting for the 128 to upgrade.
  • Reply 97 of 98
    hjmnlhjmnl Posts: 31member
    Brendon12 said:

I'll be pissed if the next MacBook Pro's RAM isn't allowed to be maxed out to 32GB.
    It will be repackaged with the same inside from last year. The only difference will be the soldered ram, and going back to one port. That's the Apple of today. Seems they've more bankers working for them then industrial designers and software developers. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 98 of 98
    RenatoZampieriRenatoZampieri Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This is my last iPhone SE 4K video test, let me know:
    baconstang