GarageBand for Mac updates with Music Memos & Logic Remote support, bigger sound library

Posted:
in Mac Software
Apple on Thursday released a new version of GarageBand for the Mac, improving support for recent companion apps on iOS, and greatly increasing the number of samples available to musicians.

The updated software -- v10.1.1 -- can open Music Memos projects, and be controlled by the iPhone and iPad Pro versions of Logic Remote. Similarly, the software should also be better compatible with GarageBand for iOS and Live Loops projects.

The app's sound library, meanwhile, now has over 2,600 more Apple Loops and sound effects. To make it easier to fetch more material, downloads have been made more reliable.

The update also makes several upgrades to Accessibility features, but Apple hasn't specified what these are.

GarageBand requires OS X 10.9 or later. Although it should come pre-installed on recent Macs, with free updates, it can also be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $4.99 if it's missing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Best iOS app Apple makes, IMO. Now installing..!
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This is about the Mac version, not the iOS version. But yes, excellent application (both versions).
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dysamoria said:
    This is about the Mac version, not the iOS version. But yes, excellent application (both versions).
    You're right. Aaaaaand installed.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I like to see Garage Band updated and improved, even as an avid Logic Pro X user.  These days I have little faith Logic Pro X will be supported for much longer.  I could wake up tomorrow and Logic Pro X may have morphed into Garage Band as yet another Apple pro app bites the dust.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I like to see Garage Band updated and improved, even as an avid Logic Pro X user.  These days I have little faith Logic Pro X will be supported for much longer.  I could wake up tomorrow and Logic Pro X may have morphed into Garage Band as yet another Apple pro app bites the dust.
    True. Apple has a pattern of foolishly abandoning the pro market, leaving amateurs and prosumers with no upward path to follow.

When pros abandon the tools (and when Apple abandons the high-end market) those tools become useless for creating the content that fills Apple's devices, iTunes and App Store.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    True. Apple has a pattern of foolishly abandoning the pro market, leaving amateurs and prosumers with no upward path to follow.

When pros abandon the tools (and when Apple abandons the high-end market) those tools become useless for creating the content that fills Apple's devices, iTunes and App Store.
    This may be a valid sentiment in some regards, but using Logic in particular as an example, it is completely ridiculous. 

Logic has received MASSIVE upgrades over the past few years — just last August, they bundled in formerly Camel Audio's Alchemy synth. FOR FREE. That was a $400 plug-in. 

And the entire bank of included plug-ins has got a complete makeover — new compressor models (much nicer), new modes on equalisers and various other gear. Logic has been VERY well tended to since Logic X came out.