Three-fifths of Apple Watch owners plan to upgrade to next model sight unseen

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A little over three-fifths of current Apple Watch owners are planning to upgrade to the next model, even though any features it might have are still nebulous, according to survey data published on Friday.

The same survey, conducted online by "customer acquisition" firm Fluent, found that just 8 percent of 2,578 people said they already own a Watch. Both owners and non-owners cited the cost of the device as the main disincentive for buying one -- even with a recent $50 price cut, the cheapest model is $299, which can be an expensive proposition for a device that already requires a iPhone.

While a simliar percentage of people said they owned non-Apple smartwatches, the vast majority of respondents said they had no smartwatch at all.

Current Watch owners identified convenience and features as their main interests in buying one, with fashion and affordability being distant concerns. Fashion was slightly more significant with the broader survey group, but behind features.

Very few rumors about a second-generation Watch have emerged, despite the normally intense scrutiny of Apple products. Some have hinted at the prospect of a better battery, a thinner body, and/or improved outdoor visibility -- most recently, Apple began hiring for more watchfaces, but these could potentially be introduced to first-gen units through a watchOS update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    If the bands are compatible (and it looks like they will be) then I'd be interested in upgrading. Going to keep my original SS model until it's retro chic though. ;)
    radarthekatlevipatchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 56
    I just don't get it - to spend a lot of money on an item that requires an item that costs even more money in order to work. Then it's obsolete when it's not supported anymore.
    singularitycnocbui
  • Reply 3 of 56
    bdkennedy said:
    I just don't get it - to spend a lot of money on an item that requires an item that costs even more money in order to work. Then it's obsolete when it's not supported anymore.
    I see it more as a continuation into the ecosystem. If you're always going to have an iPhone, it's not that big a deal. I don't have a Watch, but I've successfully killed every watch I've owned by smashing it up against something...
  • Reply 4 of 56
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    bdkennedy said:
    You're talking about Samsung products, which aren't supported from day one out the door. Apple supports its products for years. And that's good enough for most people.
    edited April 2016 nolamacguylolliverpatchythepiratejagnutAustinCablechiaapplepieguybb-15djkfisher
  • Reply 5 of 56
    I have a $400/$500, whatever it is, space black link band, so a lot depends on how the upgrade path works. Particularly for Space Black, it has the least aesthetically compatible options.
    johnnash
  • Reply 6 of 56
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Both Me and my wife will be ordering 1st minute they available
    applepieguydjkfisher
  • Reply 7 of 56
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bdkennedy said:
    are you talking about video cards? some other random computer accessory? aftermarket car upgrades? all accessories are, by definition, dependant on that which theyre an accessory to.

youre thinking about it wrong. what you should instead be asking is -- do i get value from this item's job to be done? if the answer is yes, and the cost of that value is within your disposable income, then its good purchase for you.
    lolliverjbdragonjagnutchiabb-15djkfisherbrometheus
  • Reply 8 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    bdkennedy said:
    If you have to ask, then this item is not for you.
    jbdragonRayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 56
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    sog35 said:
    bdkennedy said:
    You can get AppleWatch sport for $250 right now. I don't consider that 'alot of money' compared to other nice traditional watches on the market.

Don't forgot that not too long ago nice digital watches (G-shock) were going for close to $100.
    Don't forgot that not too long ago a nice touch screen universal TV remote was going for $300.

Also if you already have an iPhone its no big deal. Its not like you need to buy 2 devices, you already own an iPhone. 

But like I said if you don't own one you won't understand. IMO its well worth the $250 I paid for it.

1. I never miss calls/text anymore. This is VERY important for my personal and business life. Before I would miss calls because I could not hear/feel my phone in my pocket or on my desk.

2. Quick reply's to text messages

3. Ability to leave phone your phone in another room and still receive calls.

4. Activity tracker

5. Mini music remote for AppleTV

6. Quick check on sports scores/weather without reaching for my phone

7. Setting up reminders during the day with Siri.  I use to set up reminders with my iPhone but many times I would miss the reminders for some reason. You won't miss it with a Watch.

8. Use it as a remote to take pictures with an iPhone

9. Use it as a remote when I take a shower to adjust volume/song

Is it worth it? For me it is. To me the Watch is like a mini personal assistant.

I'd be open to buying one if there was a killer feature/app that spoke to me, but as of yet there isn't. I would have no use for the fitness functions but I clearly get how others would use those. The other stuff is superfluous to me. Not a deal breaker, but I'd like to see it be a little thinner too.

• Reply 10 of 56
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member
    I rather like my gen 1 watch.  They'd have to do something pretty nice with gen2 to get me to upgrade before it's time is due.  Watches are not phones, people generally hold onto them a very long time. 
    jfc1138jbdragonchia
  • Reply 11 of 56
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    bdkennedy said:
    ---

I want an in-ground swimming pool.  Do you hear me, universe!  I want it!  What?  I have to buy something that costs even more money in order to make my in-ground pool viable?  I have to buy land?  And pay property taxes?  Sheesh, what a rip off.  I should be able to just buy the in-ground pool.  How stupid is it that it doesn't come with ground to put it in!  I'm so angry at the world.  Fade to black...

jbdragonnolamacguyjagnut
  • Reply 12 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    bdkennedy said:
    Apples track record is the support of products for rather long stretches of time so I wouldn't let that worry you. 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 13 of 56
    duervoduervo Posts: 73member
    I got the Sport model because I was in the market for a watch anyway, but having been burned in the past with first generation products before, I leaned on the less expensive side of things this time. Otherwise, I would have gotten a stainless steel one.

I can't see myself replacing it with the next release. It would have to have something that really appeals to me, and being thinner is not one of those things.

The third release is when I will probably replace my existing one with a stainless one. Until then, I'll play it safe, and not bother spending anymore money on their watch stuff, unless it's a new charger cable or a new nylon or sport strap. It would annoy the crap out of me if I got anything more expensive than that, like a leather or link strap and then Apple did something to make them incompatible with a newer model.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 14 of 56
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    sog35 said:
    bdkennedy said:
    You can get AppleWatch sport for $250 right now. I don't consider that 'alot of money' compared to other nice traditional watches on the market.

Don't forgot that not too long ago nice digital watches (G-shock) were going for close to $100.
    Don't forgot that not too long ago a nice touch screen universal TV remote was going for $300.

Also if you already have an iPhone its no big deal. Its not like you need to buy 2 devices, you already own an iPhone. 

But like I said if you don't own one you won't understand. IMO its well worth the $250 I paid for it.

1. I never miss calls/text anymore. This is VERY important for my personal and business life. Before I would miss calls because I could not hear/feel my phone in my pocket or on my desk.

4. Activity tracker

7. Setting up reminders during the day with Siri.  I use to set up reminders with my iPhone but many times I would miss the reminders for some reason. You won't miss it with a Watch.

Is it worth it? For me it is. To me the Watch is like a mini personal assistant.

And dont forget being able to see texts when you cannot pull out your phone i.e. Lecture, client dinner, meeting, driving where the cops will ticket you if the even smell a phone....well worth the price to play
    radarthekatnolamacguychiabb-15brometheus
  • Reply 15 of 56
    Count me in as well.

For all the analysts who proclaimed the Apple Watch was and still remains a failure, I look forward to reading your rehashed proclamations that the new Apple Watch is a failure. 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 16 of 56
    xbit said:
    If the bands are compatible (and it looks like they will be) then I'd be interested in upgrading. Going to keep my original SS model until it's retro chic though. ;)
    Ditto!
  • Reply 17 of 56
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    I've grown so accustomed to my Apple Watch that I don't even think about it being anything other than an extremely comfortable time piece that has some niceties that keep me a little more connected with things and people I care about. The biggest quality of the Apple Watch is its ability to add value without getting in the way or turning you into a gadget zombie who is constantly staring at a tiny display on a wrist.

I think too many folks have underestimated the level of constraint that Apple exercised when defining the core feature set of the Apple Watch. The level of functionality that the Apple Watch provides today is entirely appropriate for its role as a companion device that augments capabilities of the other connected devices it supplements. If it were the equivalent of an iPhone on your wrist it would be horribly disruptive and distracting. People really need to live their lives with their heads upright and engaged with the people and the physical world all around them. An overly complex and gadgety smart watch would be the equivalent of staring at your navel for protracted periods of time.

Just look around you and see the effects that smartphones have had on shrinking the world in which people live. There's nothing sadder than seeing a family or group of friends sitting in a restaurant all around the same table but everyone is staring down at their smart phone, transfixed into a tiny little world whose aperture and central focus is a 6" or less rectangle of synthetic life in their hands. A smart watch has the potential of shrinking your world down to even smaller proportions. Why would anyone want such a thing - life through a pinhole? Fortunately Apple has done a pretty good job of providing a pleasant little gadget that does not try to pull you into an even tinier little world. Instead it simply adds some subtleties that are fairly easy to ignore. They've done a good job of saying NO to complexity and feature bloat without trying to redefine the center of your personal universe. At the end of the day it's just a watch.
    edited April 2016 nolamacguyRayz2016brometheus
  • Reply 18 of 56
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    How is this possible when the tech press and Apple fans spokesperson John Gruber hate the watch? /s

Like today Gruber pissed all over 3D Touch so naturally Business Insider had to declare that "Apple fans" have finally come to realize it's a gimmick. Of course Gruber also prefers the iPhone SE so I suppose that means "Apple fans" don't like larger screen phones now? What a bunch of asshats.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    stanhope said:
    sog35 said:

4. Activity tracker

And dont forget being able to see texts when you cannot pull out your phone i.e. Lecture, client dinner, meeting, driving where the cops will ticket you if the even smell a phone....well worth the price to play
    something I use daily -- controlling Hue home lighting scenes. phone is on the mantle, we're on the couch, and I turn it down to Relax, TV, or Movies. 
  • Reply 20 of 56
    How is this possible when the tech press and Apple fans spokesperson John Gruber hate the watch? /s

Like today Gruber pissed all over 3D Touch so naturally Business Insider had to declare that "Apple fans" have finally come to realize it's a gimmick. Of course Gruber also prefers the iPhone SE so I suppose that means "Apple fans" don't like larger screen phones now? What a bunch of asshats.
    where did Gruber piss all over 3D Touch?