AT&T hikes smartphone activation & upgrade fee to $20, matching Verizon

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    When the IPhone 6 came out, I picked up my Iphone6 at AT&T, I renewed my 2 year contract, had paid for everything and was going over the paperwork when I noticed I was charge a $45 upgrade fee. I THREW A FIT! I told them, here take you phone back, refund everything I'm out of here. Nothing they could say or do except for one thing would change my mind and that was to refund the $45 upgrade fee, PERIOD! End of discussion. I put the phone back in the box and sat there and no matter what they said I just kept repeating REFUND and cancel my account. They kept sending over managers, they kept saying, "well everyone is paying that charge" and I said, WELL I'M NOT, I WANT A REFUND AND CANCEL MY ACCOUNT the only way you can keep me as a customer at this point is to refund the fee. So finally after about an hour of this and all the managers in the building had tried unsuccessfully to change my mind, THEY REFUNDED THE $45. This was an AT&T corporate store not a reseller. EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIS, STAND YOUR GROUND, REFUSE TO PAY THE FEE. If enough people do this, they will have no choice but to abandoned these fees. I'm not one of these people that get a new Iphone, in fact I get a new one every six years or so. Next time I go in for one, they mention a fee of any kind, I cancel my account and walk out. I've been with AT&T since the 90's, they should be paying me a good customer fee! Enough is enough.
    retrogusto
  • Reply 22 of 25
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    So, if you buy a new unlocked iPhone and take the SIM out of your old phone and put it in your new phone, and don't want any changes to your account, do they still charge you $20, even if there is no new contract and you didn't buy the phone from them? It sure does seem hard to justify. My monthly bill has been creeping up recently, and I haven't looked into why, but it's not a result of me using more minutes, text or data. That shouldn't be allowed either. My only consolation is that I own a little stock in AT&T, and it has been trading pretty high lately. I guess I know why!
  • Reply 23 of 25
    So, if you buy a new unlocked iPhone and take the SIM out of your old phone and put it in your new phone, and don't want any changes to your account, do they still charge you $20, even if there is no new contract and you didn't buy the phone from them? It sure does seem hard to justify. My monthly bill has been creeping up recently, and I haven't looked into why, but it's not a result of me using more minutes, text or data. That shouldn't be allowed either. My only consolation is that I own a little stock in AT&T, and it has been trading pretty high lately. I guess I know why!

No charge for me as of yet when I switched to an unlocked SE granted I have been out of contract since the original 5 came out. 
  • Reply 24 of 25
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    ATT can kiss my ass. I rather buy an unlocked phone straight from Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Why would they charge if there's no activation process involved? They only charge those who upgrade their phone program through ATT payment plan or maybe Apple payment plan. They can't charge you for your already activated unlocked phone because they actually didn't perform any activation on your account. 
    I recycled at Apple store my wife 1-year-old ATT iPhone 6 while it was still under ATT payment plan when I bought her a 6S in September. No activation charge whatsoever because the iPhone 6S was unlocked and I still continued to make payment on iPhone 6 until this September.
    edited April 2016