Apple Watch takes 71 percent share of teen market, iPhone remains strong, study says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2016
Apple's mobile product lines continue to perform well with the all important U.S. teen demographic, as a new spring 2016 survey put Apple Watch far ahead in the nascent smartwatch game, while iPhone exhibited expectedly consistent growth.

According to fresh numbers from Piper Jaffray's Teen Survey, only 12 percent of respondents owned a wrist-wearable device as of spring 2016. However, of those who did purchase a smartwatch, Apple Watch was the dominant player, capturing a whopping 71-percent marketshare. Analyst Gene Munster notes the trend toward Watch is unsurprising given the device tethers to market leader iPhone.

Interestingly, the share of teens who actually own a smartwatch is below anticipated just before Apple Watch was unveiled in 2014. At the time, the investment bank noted teen interest in a $350 "iWatch" device stood at 16 percent, while only 7 percent of participants owned a smartwatch.

Moving to the mature smartphone sector, 69 percent of teen respondents owned an iPhone, up from 67 percent last fall. Anticipated ownership is also on the rise, as 75 of teens expect iPhone to be their next smartphone purchase, a number up one percent from the prior period.

Finally, tablet ownership followed industry trends and declined for the third consecutive Teen Survey, falling to 59 percent from 61 percent in fall of last year. Apple's iPad remained in the lead with a 64 percent share, down one percent from the preceding period, while intent to buy increased to 63 percent from 58 percent. Overall, only 13 percent of participants who did not own a tablet last fall plan to buy one in the next six months.

Munster believes the slight bump in intent can be explained by Apple's recent launch of a 9.7-inch iPad Pro with support for Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil. Additionally, Apple is positioning its new iPad Pro as an affordable and capable desktop replacement, an enticing prospect to college-bound teens.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    12% for a wearable with 71% market share, that's way higher than I imagined. According to this survey, 8.5% of teenagers surveyed have an Apple Watch. That's 1 in 12. Huge numbers if true.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Despite media writings of how much better Samsung Galaxy S7 is over iPhone 6S, apparently the sharp-minded and well-informed teens know it is false.  I am not kidding.  Teen are much well-informed through their peers than majority of idiot adults.  
    radarthekatmacky the mackyirelandjony0cali
  • Reply 3 of 24
    So parents are buying their spoiled teenagers an Apple Watch.  How nice.  They lose their phones and break them constantly, so I wonder if this is even true.  I have never seen a teenager wear an Apple Watch, and I have only seen a handful of people wearing one around Los Angeles...and it has been a year since the thing got released.  Best part is the small amount of people wearing an Apple Watch are using their iPhone instead!  Their biggest complaint is how slow it is.  Take a look around, no one wears a smart watch because people are smart enough to realize they do not need a device duplicated by a phone.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 4 of 24
    tzeshan said:
    Despite media writings of how much better Samsung Galaxy S7 is over iPhone 6S, apparently the sharp-minded and well-informed teens know it is false.  I am not kidding.  Teen are much well-informed through their peers than majority of idiot adults.  
    The 'idiot' adult that bought you an Apple Watch?  Most teens today are raised by 'helicopter moms', lack any independence, responsibility, or have any concept of the value of money.  Sorry, but those 'idiot' adults are far more knowledgable than you will ever be in life.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    So parents are buying their spoiled teenagers an Apple Watch.  How nice.  They lose their phones and break them constantly, so I wonder if this is even true.  I have never seen a teenager wear an Apple Watch, and I have only seen a handful of people wearing one around Los Angeles...and it has been a year since the thing got released.  Best part is the small amount of people wearing an Apple Watch are using their iPhone instead!  Their biggest complaint is how slow it is.  Take a look around, no one wears a smart watch because people are smart enough to realize they do not need a device duplicated by a phone.
    From the article teens owning an Apple Watch is very tiny.  
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 6 of 24
    If you do not own an Apple Watch, it's best to stop making ridiculous statements. The CPU is not "slow" by any means. 

Apple did make sacrifices and forced to tether the watch to the iPhone for the sake of battery life. 

Which brings me to the most legitimate criticism of the watch. Not speed, but battery life. 

The watch has a sufficient battery for those who are able to charge it up every night. However, not everyone can. 

When Apple builds the S2 on the most advanced manufacturing node, most of the issues will be addressed. The 28 nm Samsung process doesn't offer the performance or power consumption of TSMC's 16 nm FF with upcoming InFO process. 

I myself may purchase a generation 2 watch if the watch is able to make calls independent from a phone. Pop in a Bluetooth headset and I would be good to go. 

There is great potential in the watch. I am just not interested in the current version. I wasn't interested in the newly released iPod either all those years ago. And we know how that turned out. 
    levimacky the mackynetmage
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I don't understand shrinking tablet ownership. Are people just throwing away their iPads? Or are we producing a substantial amount of new people? I have a snow shovel. If I move somewhere warm, I'll probably still have that shovel.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Well for what's worth, I see them frequently - several times daily in SF Bay Area. Also find mine to be indispensable. Look forward to even better versions to come.
    netmagecali
  • Reply 9 of 24
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    Perhaps keep better company....
    macky the mackycali
  • Reply 10 of 24
    levi said:
    Well for what's worth, I see them frequently - several times daily in SF Bay Area. Also find mine to be indispensable. Look forward to even better versions to come.
    Completely agree. Just before I came across this article I was mentioning to my wife how much I love my  Watch. During my daily routine, when I am out and about, and especially at work I use it constantly, rarely checking my iPhone for anything. Obviously I still use my iPhone a ton when the bigger screen is required, but for quick glances at info and simple tasks it doesn't get any easier. What I've begun enjoying particularly is using it with the Apple Wallet for scanning my Scene card at the movies, Indigo and Shopper's, and seeing the look on the cashiers' faces when it works. "Whoah, that is really cool!" Really looking forward to what's next as well. 
    macky the macky
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I don't understand shrinking tablet ownership. Are people just throwing away their iPads? Or are we producing a substantial amount of new people? I have a snow shovel. If I move somewhere warm, I'll probably still have that shovel.
    When they say 'shrinking tablet ownership', they mean that fewer tablets are sold each year.  This is obvious when you think about it because tablets are close to laptops than they are to phones; folk will buy a tablet and then hang onto it for five years or more. 

macky the mackynetmagecali
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    You sound butt-hurt, though I have no idea why.

macky the mackynetmagecali
  • Reply 13 of 24
    I work at a high end resort in Vegas and see people wearing them everyday. Many are professionals. In fact it was my doctor who swayed me to buy this first generation Apple Watch. When he told me he uses it from the time he wakes up until he goes to bed, well that intrigued me. Now, I can honestly say the same thing. I use mine intensively.  From receiving and replying to texts and emails, to making and answering quick phone calls. The "touch" navigation when I am getting directions (walking and driving) is highly convenient. Apple Pay is FANTASTIC on the watch too, so much so I try to avoid anyplace that does not accept Apple Pay because it is that convenient! (Fortunately I shop at ALBERTSONS, Walgreens, Chevron, Firehouse subs, Subway) went to tmobile arena opening night and was pleased they took it there at the concession stands. Also, it just isn't guests wearing them. A few of the people I work with have and love using their Apple watches as well. I knew I would like the watch before I bought it, but after the first two weeks of wearing it, I realized I LOVED it! My wife after seeing me use mine constantly wanted one for Christmas and she LOVES using it as well (probably more than me).  I found I leave my iPhone in my bag all day (use watch for music, showing off the kids pictures, etc.) the only time I use my iPhone now is for the camera and reading.  If you are not seeing them in L.A. I would say get out more or just realize people are very discreet with them. 
    macky the mackycali
  • Reply 14 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If 500 people live in a town and half have cars—Model 3. Tesla have 100% car market ownership in that town. Then the other half buy Apple cars. Now Tesla have 50% car market share. Yet no snow-shovels have been sold.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 15 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Completely agree. Just before I came across this article I was mentioning to my wife how much I love my  Watch. During my daily routine, when I am out and about, and especially at work I use it constantly, rarely checking my iPhone for anything. Obviously I still use my iPhone a ton when the bigger screen is required, but for quick glances at info and simple tasks it doesn't get any easier. What I've begun enjoying particularly is using it with the Apple Wallet for scanning my Scene card at the movies, Indigo and Shopper's, and seeing the look on the cashiers' faces when it works. "Whoah, that is really cool!" Really looking forward to what's next as well. 
    I never wear watches. I hate things on my wrist—I'm weird like that. The first time I saw an Apple Watch in person on a friend I hadn't seen in a while I was struck by how beautiful is was. Trust Ive to create a beautiful wearable object.

It was also smaller and thinner than expected. Then I saw a Moto 360 and noticed right away how ugly and unimaginative the design was. I would say gaudy would be the perfect word to describe it.

As for AW, slowness is a legitimate complaint though from what I hear from owners within the Apple tech community. I'm glad they are improving internals this time round and not making it thinner of making superfluous design changes. The watch ideally would be a few times faster than it is now with at least similar but preferably improved battery life. The speed of the device at this point is not quite good enough IMO.
    edited April 2016 netmagepatchythepirateflashfan207
  • Reply 16 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    You mom called... she needs to use the landing.  So disconnect your PC from the modem in your basement bedroom and go upstairs.

I see countless people here in San Francisco wearing them.  They're all over the place.  That's what happens when you venture outside.
    badmonkpatchythepirateflashfan207cali
  • Reply 17 of 24
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,286member
    For Apple to "lock-in" this demographic is huge.  Teens know the better technology.  They use their phones constantly and demand a better UI, software and dependability.  All my innumerable nieces and nephews use Apple products.  I had a single nephew who used android but even he has switched over.

As for the AW, it will take over.  It is the by-product of an over-larged iPhone in the pocket. I especially feel the need for one when I travel.  I am constantly asking my wife the time.

The problem is I like the SS varieties (especially the Hermes) and I am not going to drop that type of money on a first generation device.  But when AW enters generation 2 or 3, I'm dropping serious $ (because now my wife wants one too).

I think there are many people like me.  And those teenagers are going to be buying iPhones every 1-4 years for the foreseeable future.  Apple will do well unlike what WS thinks.

And you want to know something else?  I want two iPhones.  A 4 inch SE for work and a plus sized version for off-work time.  When Apple realizes their are people like me out there, no one will care about sagging iPad sales...
    cali
  • Reply 18 of 24
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    My Apple Watch wish list:

I prefer the aluminum body over stainless steel; I just don't like shiny metal, not on my car, not on my kitchen and bath fixtures, and not on my wrist.  But I also want maximum durability.  So give me a Sport model with the Sapphire face.  Charge me $100 more for that.  I'll pay it.

A leather band option for the aluminum Sport Watch body.  Currently, the leather bands have stainless steel where they attach to the watch body.

Larger app icons so I'll stop hitting the wrong one when trying to open an app.

• Reply 19 of 24
    You're speaking in generalities, which are characteristically false. What's your agenda?
    ai46cali
  • Reply 20 of 24
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    Shrinking sales, not ownership.