Three-fifths of Apple Watch owners plan to upgrade to next model sight unseen

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I'll be buying a Garmin 235 watch where it can track my running for 8 hours straight (handy for ultra marathons) & it'll also be able to give me a week minimum of battery life (doing daily exercises too) with GPS, tracked runs onto Garmin Connect, 24/7 heart rate tracking, sleep tracking, message, email & phone notifications. 
    not quite. with training it's limited to hours. to get the week+ battery life it's limited to tracking steps and sleep, like a Fitbit -- you won't be getting GPS and serious workout tracking.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Gruber and Jason Snell. But anything Gruber posts the wider tech media equates to being indicative of all Apple fans. Sorry Gruber doesn't speak for me. I use 3D Touch every day, and no I don't think it's a gimmick. I did notice they're getting pushback on Twitter from people who do use it, and use it A LOT. 

But this is a guy who openly admits he doesn't love his Watch and definitely doesn't wear it every day yet when he interviewed Phil Schiller at WWDC he made sure he had it on. As an Watch owner if you're not wearing it every day I don't see what the point of wearing it at all is. And wearing it just because you're sitting next to Phil Schiller is a bit disingenuous to me.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/04/08/snell-3d-touch
    I think Gruber doesn't wear his AW for a couple reasons -- he's a watch enthusiast, he's on his Mac at home all day, and he isn't physically active. but I wouldn't infer that he doesn't like AW; he joked on a recent podcast about people thinking they know what he thinks about stuff when they don't (I think it was about the AW itself but don't recall). 

but i think they're right about Peek -- in safari at least, it's useless. 
    I've listened to enough his podcasts and it's pretty clear he's not an Watch fan. Usually the only time he and his guest talk about it is when they're criticizing it. But I don't think he likes smart watches in general, which is fine, just don't be wearing Watch in front of Phil Schiller if you don't wear it otherwise.

As far as 3D Touch I don't use peek is Safari much either, mostly because the peek doesn't load fast enough. But I use it in Mail and other places and like it (I guess I must have tiny thumbs because my thumb doesn't cover up the content). And I definitely use it on app icons and for text selection all the time. I'm not saying 3D Touch is perfect and there's nothing Apple can improve with it but I don't think it's a gimmick and I would miss it if I had an iPhone that didn't have it (and I do miss it on my iPad when doing text selection). 
  • Reply 43 of 56
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    The current version is both too thick and small screen for me. This medium post basically list all my problem with it 

https://medium.com/@flyosity/inconvenient-truths-about-the-apple-watch-11bafa44551b#.q1ivikmdb

I am hoping Next Apple Watch will be leaps and bounds ahead.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Three-fifths?  Any reason we can't say "60%"?
  • Reply 45 of 56
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I must be in the 2/5 th but l will not wish to upgrade my Apple Watch in the he next year or so. I am very happy with my existing Apple Watch. I actually don't expect Apple to upgrade it until at least another year. The Apple Watch has been a success but have enough really been sold to justify replacement after just over one year? Unless it sells in very large numbers l think Apple will feel economicaly they may need to wait for 2 or 3 years before replacing. For those in the 3/5 let us hope l am wrong.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    ksec said:
    The current version is both too thick and small screen for me. This medium post basically list all my problem with it 

https://medium.com/@flyosity/inconvenient-truths-about-the-apple-watch-11bafa44551b#.q1ivikmdb

I am hoping Next Apple Watch will be leaps and bounds ahead.
    Here's another inconvenient truth: a lot of people like their Watch but the media overwhelmingly reports on only those that don't.
    ericthehalfbee
  • Reply 47 of 56
    I don't have one yet but my wife does and loves it, especially at work. After seeing her use it if decided to get one, but with the rumor of a new Watch I can wait and see. 
  • Reply 48 of 56
    I'll be buying a Garmin 235 watch where it can track my running for 8 hours straight (handy for ultra marathons) & it'll also be able to give me a week minimum of battery life (doing daily exercises too) with GPS, tracked runs onto Garmin Connect, 24/7 heart rate tracking, sleep tracking, message, email & phone notifications. 
    not quite. with training it's limited to hours. to get the week+ battery life it's limited to tracking steps and sleep, like a Fitbit -- you won't be getting GPS and serious workout tracking.
    thanks for correcting my post it isnt actualy 8 hours continuous exercise tracking with GPS etc, its 11hours (according to Garmin.com).

My usage each day for apple watch.
    wake up at 6am, watch at 100%, 1.5 hour cycle to work using iphone 6 for GPS, rest of work day HR tracking & 'fitbit functions too', then 1.5 hour cycle back home, then HR tracking till bed, turn off at 10pm where it'l be 10%, or flat!

On the Garmin i'd do the same:
    wake up, 1.5 hour cycle to work using watch for gps tracking, rest of working day HR tracking & not forgetting its 'fitbit functions too', then 1.5 hour cycle home with GPS, then some more fitbit functions till bed, where it'l monitor my sleep like a fitbit if you want to say. Then repeat for a 2nd day, then perhaps a 3rd day before need a recharge.

without any gps tracking runs or cycles etc it'l track my HR, sleep for over 7 days. on the apple watch if i didnt do any exercises & let it track only the HR & steps etc (llike a fitbit) i get 1.5 days.

i'm not denying apple watch isnt great, it has its great bits, but for health tracking until it gets its GPS & becomes free from its iphone its no match for a proper health tracker.  I wished i had realised this last summer before getting caught up in the lovely marketing that apple do & plumping my cash for its first generation watch.

I certainly will look forward to seeing what future versions bring (internal GPS, webpage showing runs on a map like Garmin connect) but for now my money is going elsewhere. 
    cnocbui
  • Reply 49 of 56
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    I say any thing more than 20% thinner would get me over the line to buying a Watch.
    Despite the fact I know i don't need one and it's functional value is limited to me Apple still did a very good job of making me want one.
    Version 2 sounds like logic will be overruled.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    where did Gruber piss all over 3D Touch?
    Gruber and Jason Snell. But anything Gruber posts the wider tech media equates to being indicative of all Apple fans. Sorry Gruber doesn't speak for me. I use 3D Touch every day, and no I don't think it's a gimmick. I did notice they're getting pushback on Twitter from people who do use it, and use it A LOT. 

While the pop-up out menus, peak and pop may not be "must have" features, the one thing that 3D Touch does, which has become second nature to my usage, is being able to move the cursor anywhere when you 3D touch the virtual keyboard. It feels very intuitive and much better than the older method of having your finger cover the very text you are trying to place the cursor on.

• Reply 51 of 56

It'd be nice if Apple introduce an animated Watch face, which shows the inner workings of a mechanical watch, like some of those actual mechanical watches.

Just something cool to have.

• Reply 52 of 56
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    sog35 said:
    count me in.

Watch is a nice device now. It has so much untapped potential. If you don't wear one you wouldn't understand.
    Thats the problem; no one is able to tell me what its potential is. I've played around with it in the Apple Store and just don't get why this device is of any added value. It's surprisingly  complex to control as well in relation to other apple products.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    dacloo said:
    sog35 said:
    count me in.

Watch is a nice device now. It has so much untapped potential. If you don't wear one you wouldn't understand.
    Thats the problem; no one is able to tell me what its potential is. I've played around with it in the Apple Store and just don't get why this device is of any added value. It's surprisingly  complex to control as well in relation to other apple products.

There's actually a small learning curve, but it is really as intuitive as other Apple products. I don't use the digital dial much, except to get to the app selection screen, or revert to my home screen (or last used app with 2 presses). However, the rest of the watch is pretty good in terms of UI.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

It'd be nice if Apple introduce an animated Watch face, which shows the inner workings of a mechanical watch, like some of those actual mechanical watches.

Just something cool to have.

Yeah, cool as...

• Reply 55 of 56
    mmatzmmatz Posts: 17member
    sog35 said:
    bdkennedy said:
    I just don't get it - to spend a lot of money on an item that requires an item that costs even more money in order to work. Then it's obsolete when it's not supported anymore.
    You can get AppleWatch sport for $250 right now. I don't consider that 'alot of money' compared to other nice traditional watches on the market.

Don't forgot that not too long ago nice digital watches (G-shock) were going for close to $100.
    Don't forgot that not too long ago a nice touch screen universal TV remote was going for $300.

Also if you already have an iPhone its no big deal. Its not like you need to buy 2 devices, you already own an iPhone. 

But like I said if you don't own one you won't understand. IMO its well worth the $250 I paid for it.

1. I never miss calls/text anymore. This is VERY important for my personal and business life. Before I would miss calls because I could not hear/feel my phone in my pocket or on my desk.

2. Quick reply's to text messages

3. Ability to leave phone your phone in another room and still receive calls.

4. Activity tracker

5. Mini music remote for AppleTV

6. Quick check on sports scores/weather without reaching for my phone

7. Setting up reminders during the day with Siri.  I use to set up reminders with my iPhone but many times I would miss the reminders for some reason. You won't miss it with a Watch.

8. Use it as a remote to take pictures with an iPhone

9. Use it as a remote when I take a shower to adjust volume/song

Is it worth it? For me it is. To me the Watch is like a mini personal assistant.

Good list, and I have to add one killer feature for me - Apple Pay.   More widespread than advertised. Just found out my grocery store accepts it, even though the terminal doesn't say Apple Pay. And, til Starbucks here gets on the bandwagon, I use their app - which also works on the Watch.  I really, really like the convenience of not having to take out my wallet or phone to pay for something.