Logitech expands audio portfolio with $50M Jaybird acquisition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2016
Accessories manufacturer Logitech on Tuesday announced an agreement to purchase Utah-based earbud maker Jaybird, known for its "active" style wireless headphone designs, in a deal worth some $50 million in cash.

Logitech revealed the news on its own website, saying Jaybirds will help build out its current product lineup to address customers who prefer headphones over speakers.

Alongside its own branded offerings, Logitech markets premium speaker devices through subsidiary Ultimate Ears, which it purchased in 2008.

"As one team, we can address the fast-growing wireless audio wearables market with all the advantages of Jaybird's strong brand and sports expertise, and our combined audio engineering and design capabilities," said Logitech President and CEO Bracken Darrell.

On top of the approximately $50 million in cash, Jaybird has a chance to earn $45 million if the company hits growth targets mapped out for the next two years. The financials of the deal were detailed in a separate press release.

Jaybird is a leader in Bluetooth earbuds, with the most recent product introduction being the X2 wireless model designed for active users. The company also sells a wearable fitness tracker, or "advanced active recovery band," called Reign.

Apple is rumored to launch its own set of Bluetooth headphones in the near future. According to the most recent scuttlebutt, Apple is said to be removing the 3.5mm headphone jack on this year's "iPhone 7" smartphone refresh, which would necessitate a wireless or Lightning-equipped EarPods replacement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I got an X2 for Christmas. Pricy, but an excellent headset.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Similar experience here. Last year I decided to get my first set of wireless earbuds. Online research pointed me to Jaybird (Bluebuds X, at the time). At $129 they were more expensive than I was used to paying for wired earbuds, but I've been very happy with the song quality and comfort. I typically wear them about 3 hours a day with no noticeable ear fatigue. I particularly like the curved wings that hold them into your ear; one of my frustrations with other earbuds is having them pop out of your ear all the time. The wings solve that problem.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    I wonder if the missing analog audio port on the iPhone 7 might negatively impact sales. Could the lightning audio port provide higher fidelity or what? I don't understand the reason for removing the analog audio port. I don't like this change if its true. One would no longer be able to listen to music while keeping the iPhone plugged into the wall which I do 95% of the time.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    Definitely one of the better bluetooth headsets I have owned. Takes some time to get used to the earbud adjustments when fitting to the ears.  But sound is good, battery lasts long and the connectivity whilst running is great.  Rarely any drop in signal.
    Good buy from Logitech.  Hope the product remains as good as it is now.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member

I wonder if the missing analog audio port on the iPhone 7 might negatively impact sales. Could the lightning audio port provide higher fidelity or what? I don't understand the reason for removing the analog audio port. I don't like this change if its true. One would no longer be able to listen to music while keeping the iPhone plugged into the wall which I do 95% of the time.
    I'm sure Apple will provide a pass through adaptor for a lightning only connector.  Male and female lightning connectors with an analog jack on the side.  That will allow a charge whilst listening with standard headphones.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    you'll figure it out. you know, adapt. adapter.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    I do like my X2s.