FBI reportedly paid 'gray-hat' hackers, not Cellebrite, for zero day exploit in San Bernardino iPho

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    palegolas said:
    The most remarkable information about this whole thing, to me, is that FBI more or less has told the world that they have no in house intelligence. They appear really awkward. I mean, I would have assumed that the FBI had tons of in-house black hats operating for only FBI's own interests. Now they're basically telling the world that the most famous federal Byreau of investigation is incompetent. They've totally lost their iconic status after this. Not very smart...
    Maybe they should hire that guy from NCIS. He seems to have no problem violating the law and hacks into every federal database there is. 
  • Reply 22 of 26
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    isteelers said:
    palegolas said:
    The most remarkable information about this whole thing, to me, is that FBI more or less has told the world that they have no in house intelligence. They appear really awkward. I mean, I would have assumed that the FBI had tons of in-house black hats operating for only FBI's own interests. Now they're basically telling the world that the most famous federal Byreau of investigation is incompetent. They've totally lost their iconic status after this. Not very smart...
    Maybe they should hire that guy from NCIS. He seems to have no problem violating the law and hacks into every federal database there is. 
    According to another source, they tried to get him first.

/s
    baconstang
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Ironically, all these silly public FBI announcements have probably now succeeded in convincing terrorist organizations with the most to hide to ditch their old phones and obtain more secure ones and better encryption tools.
    argonautbaconstang
  • Reply 24 of 26
    I'm still not convinced they actually got into the phone. And this new wrinkle makes that even more probable because now the story can't be confirmed since the providers of the solution are "unknown" rather than a known company.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    quinney said:
    The FBI should be protecting Americans from people who develop hacks that compromise security, not subsidizing them.
    True definition of irony huh?
  • Reply 26 of 26
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    palegolas said:
    X-Files sucks since Mulder and Sculy left... Now, they're back averything will be back to normal :-).