Meizu's new Pro 6 smartphone mimics Apple's iPhone 6s design & 3D Touch

Posted:
in iPhone
Chinese smartphone maker Meizu -- well-known for copying Apple's iPhone designs in its products -- on Wednesday announced the Pro 6, a phone which not only imitates design elements from the iPhone 6s but one of its signature features, 3D Touch.

Meizu's technology, "3D Press," can be used to invoke a shortcut menu, or preview photos, emails, websites, and other content, Engadget reported. Several popular Chinese apps like WeChat, Weibo, and QQ are supporting the technology from launch. Visually the shortcut system is almost identical to 3D Touch's Quick Actions, even blurring out the surrounding homescreen.

Another Chinese smartphone maker, Huawei, has implemented similar technology in its own phones, but Meizu's 3D Press is a more direct copy.

The Pro 6 does have some distinguishing features however, most notably the use of a 10-core MediaTek Helio X25 processor. The X25 will initially be exclusive to the Pro 6, even as the Helio X20, the world's first 10-core mobile processor, is only now becoming available to other smartphone makers.

The device will also have a 5.2-inch, 1080p Super AMOLED screen, 4 gigabytes of RAM, a USB-C port, and 32 gigabytes of default storage. Like many Android phones it will have a quick-charge feature, in this case letting people fully charge a dead battery within an hour. A relatively conventional 21.16-megapixel camera sensor will nevertheless be paired with laser autofocus and a 10-LED ring flash.

The phone's audio system, mSound, should produce loud and clean playback, and moreover detect vibrations on the speaker diaphragm to help reduce noise when recording.

The Pro 6 can be pre-ordered in China starting today, costing 2,499 yuan ($390) for a 32-gigabyte model and 2,799 yuan ($430) for 64 gigabytes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Couldn't they get the bezels right?
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 2 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It looks like a Duck, but it ain't Duck.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 3 of 37
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    10 core, LOL. :#

I was joking about 10 core phones a few years back, when I was making fun of Android phones.

What a piece of shameless junk.

Does the CEO also put on a Steve Jobs mask when they give their keynotes?

potatoleeksoup
  • Reply 4 of 37
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    cnocbui said:
    Couldn't they get the bezels right?
    "But we didn't copy Apple...just look at the home button..."
  • Reply 5 of 37
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    what scumbags. even the name of the feature is a lazy copy. 
    retrogustopotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 6 of 37
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Well IMO... this is what gets the ANALyst worried and driving Apple stock P/E down. Its too easy to copy Apple's hardware/software. It can be copy-ized / commoditized, nothing truly unique (ie un-copyable... is that word?).

That said, the thing that is unique that cannot copied(easily) is the iOS eco-system(whole greater than sum of the parts), which contributes to Apples success. 

But I have to admit, I'm beginning to worry about it, which I never use too,,, a lot of competition out there(which is good in the grand scheme of things)

• Reply 7 of 37
    Really ......One more Copycat born.  please create different . Hello samsung you have a friend now ! 
  • Reply 8 of 37
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Wow. That's pretty shameless. 
  • Reply 9 of 37
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    "Meizu" in mandarin means "copy".
  • Reply 10 of 37
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I don't call a "copy of 3d touch", until somebody actually reviews it and sees how well it actually works.
    There was a supposed copy announced last year in China and it was in very low volume phones and not the same.

And also it's only really a copy if the whole phone works well, is durable and is supported; from what I've heard, this is not the case for these phones.

Of course, they wouldn't dare try the IP steals outside China; probably because they don't have the legal team Samsung has to litigate for 10 years.

And as usual, the tech press craps out specs for Android phones... Wooooo 10 cores, we can't even use 8, but hey, shiny, add two more.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 11 of 37
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    What is it about Asian cultures that encourages stealing of other people's ideas, designs, IP?  

This is an honest question.  
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 12 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Would be awesome if Apple threatened to pull all manufacturing from China unless ripoff Chinese copies were dealt with by the authorities there. None of this will ever happen, of course.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    At least they're equal opportunity in copying the best and worst of the iPhone features.

And those are some enviable pricing increments.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    red oak said:
    What is it about Asian cultures that encourages stealing of other people's ideas, designs, IP?  

*cough*Microsoft*cough*
    icoco3redgeminipa
  • Reply 15 of 37
    crowley said:
    red oak said:

*cough*Microsoft*cough*
    Microsoft is the exception that proves the rule.

(You might consider a lozenge ...).
    SpamSandwichbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 16 of 37
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Wait I thought 3D Touch was a gimmick that no one uses. At least that's what the tech press tells us.

The Verge of course had the most clickbait headline calling this an iPhone clone with "prettier antenna lines". 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 17 of 37
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    boeyc15 said:

Well IMO... this is what gets the ANALyst worried and driving Apple stock P/E down. Its too easy to copy Apple's hardware/software. It can be copy-ized / commoditized, nothing truly unique (ie un-copyable... is that word?).

That said, the thing that is unique that cannot copied(easily) is the iOS eco-system(whole greater than sum of the parts), which contributes to Apples success. 

But I have to admit, I'm beginning to worry about it, which I never use too,,, a lot of competition out there(which is good in the grand scheme of things)

I have to agree, The other lucky thing for Apple is many Chinese are brand loyal and brand snobs, so they will not buy this as a knock off. This company will have limited success outside China and India who would not entertain Apple about trade dress and IP infringement. India only enforces cases like this who are brought about by Indian companies. Like telling Apple they can not use the works Split Screen in their marketing because some Indian company claims they been using it. I wonder what the Hindi word if for split screen.

These knock off artist will not be selling in the US or the EU since Apple will block them.

patchythepirate
  • Reply 18 of 37
    red oak said:

Not sure there's anything in any culture that invites copying. It's more the result of economic opportunism. Apple spends time and cost to develop a feature and identify the best way to make it work. Meizu's took advantage of that because, simply put, they could.
    hypoluxa
  • Reply 19 of 37
    mygigmygig Posts: 40member
    this is a very good looking android phone :D
  • Reply 20 of 37
    crowley said:
    *cough*Microsoft*cough*
    Microsoft is the exception that proves the rule.

(You might consider a lozenge ...).
    Exceptions don't prove rules.

*cough*Google*cough*