Sling TV launches beta 'multi-stream' plan with simultaneous streaming on three devices

Posted:
in General Discussion
Sling TV on Wednesday launched a beta "multi-stream" plan, allowing subscribers to stream channels on up to three devices simultaneously, instead of the normal single-device scheme.

A multi-stream plan starts at $20 per month, and is primarily focused on Fox channels, including local stations and regional Fox Sports coverage. A number of other networks are also included however, such as AMC, IFC, CNN, and the Cartoon Network.

There are some important differences in bundled content, as the multi-stream package offers an extra four channels by default, like FX and the National Geographic Channel. It makes sacrifices in the process, most notably ESPN and Disney.

Channels like ABC, Epix, HBO, and Univision must be added through "Extras" packages costing between $5 and $15 per month.

Sling TV is available through a number of platforms, among them iOS, OS X, Windows, Android, Roku, Chromecast, and the Xbox One. At the moment, there is no tvOS app for the fourth-generation Apple TV.

Sling TV is one of a small number of fledgling Internet-only live TV services. Rumors have suggested that Apple is working on a service of its own, which might finally arrive sometime in September, though the company has encountered numerous delays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Wow I use and really enjoy SlingTV. It kind of helps you understand what a greedy pile of crap Disney/ABC Media group happens to be. One of my chief complaints about Sling was the single media stream. If you agree to toss Disney overboard and substitute channels by Fox, you get four more channels and multiple stream viewing at once.

For $20 a month this replaces everything I would watch on a regular cable subscription. It works with my Fire sticks and my Roku box. I have no problem sticking it to Disney who grows every more expensive and greedy by the day. Good for SlingTV for providing choice. I'm going to choose their new package and enjoy even more TV for a very fair price.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    Sweet!! Just switched to the new plan, didn't watch espn or Disney anyways. Now if they had an apple tv app it would be perfect and i could ditch my roku! 
  • Reply 3 of 21
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I really want to give Sling TV a go but it's really not worth it until they get an Apple TV app. They are the only streaming devices i have in the house besides my PS4, which sadly, also doesn't support Sling TV. I did try Playstation Vue recently. It was cool. Finally had live local stations in my area. Biggest issue was having to shell out $350 for each additional PS4 for my other TVs. Would have been too costly to do that so i cancelled the service after a month. 
  • Reply 4 of 21
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    supadav03 said:
    I really want to give Sling TV a go but it's really not worth it until they get an Apple TV app. They are the only streaming devices i have in the house besides my PS4, which sadly, also doesn't support Sling TV. I did try Playstation Vue recently. It was cool. Finally had live local stations in my area. Biggest issue was having to shell out $350 for each additional PS4 for my other TVs. Would have been too costly to do that so i cancelled the service after a month. 
    How's the picture quality with Vue? 
  • Reply 5 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I have complained loud to Dishnetowk's SLING programming group for not providing SLING App on AppleTV(tvos). If SLING has ported/supported Roku,firetv,etc platforms than what stopping them on AppleTV ?? Besides people like us who wants American alacarte programming package, SLING missing out on large ASIAN channels(SOUTHEAST ASIA) watching customer base who typically subscribe to Disknetwork and now they also dropping dishnetowrk's traditional programming like cable cord cutting. Bottom-line, when the hell SLING App will be natively ported on Apple-TV ? Even PlayStation is missing and I hate Amazon for not porting their instant video app for apple-tv.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 6 of 21
    supadav03 said:
    Same issue. Hopefully they will come out with a HDMI plug streaming component or something to solve this! An Apple TV app would be great of course then I would not need any additional hardware.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 7 of 21
    dipdog3dipdog3 Posts: 89member
    Been waiting for this deal, already have ESPN with Watch ESPN app, so no loss there, this is great news!!!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    wood1208 said:
    I have complained loud to Dishnetowk's SLING programming group for not providing SLING App on AppleTV(tvos). If SLING has ported/supported Roku,firetv,etc platforms than what stopping them on AppleTV ?? Besides people like us who wants American alacarte programming package, SLING missing out on large ASIAN channels(SOUTHEAST ASIA) watching customer base who typically subscribe to Disknetwork and now they also dropping dishnetowrk's traditional programming like cable cord cutting. Bottom-line, when the hell SLING App will be natively ported on Apple-TV ? Even PlayStation is missing and I hate Amazon for not porting their instant video app for apple-tv.
    Yep. I am in same boat. I am using FireHD stick right now, but I want it on my AppleTV. The FireHD Sling App keeps crashing for me and the startup is very bad (I guess, it's still an Android in the back) the iOS SlingTV App works like a charm.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    supadav03 said:
    How's the picture quality with Vue? 
    Image quality was good. Most of the time it stayed in the HD range. I did try streaming to multiple devices simultaneously, PS4 and iPad, and i didn't notice any resolution dip. I was actually very impressed by Vue. Right now to use Vue, you have to sign up through a PS3/PS4 and then you can download the app and use on iOS devices. I would love for them or Sling to bring their app to ATV.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    supadav03 said:
    Sony does make a streaming device
  • Reply 11 of 21
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
     you can get a roku 3 for 50% off when you sign up for 3 months. That's what i did. I hate it though, want an AppleTV app!! 
  • Reply 12 of 21
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    You can also get the Amazon Fire Stick for free if you prepay for three months of service. That was what I did to get my second Fire Stick. My first Fire Stick was offered to me for $20 due to being a Prime member.

Turns out I can't switch over yet. I've currently got SlingTV for only $14 a month due to a promo with Tmobile.

Yes I love my bargains.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    You guys are a bit confused when you complain the sling hasn't ported to Apple TV or that Amazon has provided Amazon video to Apple TV. Who do you think is stopping them? They would love to be on that platform because it is another outlet for their content. Apple doesn't want them there because it will disrupt their revenue and plans...
  • Reply 14 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    You guys are a bit confused when you complain the sling hasn't ported to Apple TV or that Amazon has provided Amazon video to Apple TV. Who do you think is stopping them? They would love to be on that platform because it is another outlet for their content. Apple doesn't want them there because it will disrupt their revenue and plans...
    Seriously. If I remember correctly, Apple openly said "All are Welcome"on Apple-TV platform.Moreover, I don't see any news where Amazon or Dishnetwork said we want to support Apple-TV. In fact look at this Amazon discussion(http://www.amazon.com/Apple-TV-Amazon-Prime-Streaming/forum/Fx1NO5DCRLSDYFZ/Tx1S8NLVNCV31WW/1?asin=B001FA1NK0&cdSort=newest). When I opened problem ticket with SLING for apple-tv support, they said my concern is forwarded to SLING development team.

• Reply 15 of 21
    supadav03 said:
    Yes, the piece of garbage that was the Vita TV/Playstation TV, which is already discontinued. I mean, who makes a streaming device that doesn't have Netflix?!
  • Reply 16 of 21
    supadav03 said:
    My bad..i just learned there are other streaming devices that support Playstation Vue. Amazon's line of streamers plus Chromecast. Guess Sony opened it up once the PS TV died. Still strange their streaming bluray players and smart TVs don't support it.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Apple, please hurry up with your streaming offering -- I hate giving my hard-earned $$ to my monopolistic cable company (comcast) and paying extras for what should be standard offerings.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    New plan is ok, but they have to remove those garbage channels: El Rey, Adult Swim, Freeform, Bloomberg TV, Polaris+, Maker, Newsy, Flama, and Galavisión. I have Fire TV and I hate that I can't hide these junk channels. So, I cancelled the service this month after 3 month trial.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I switched over last evening. It makes much more sense for me and saves a bunch of money too. Besides the $5 month surcharge to get ESPN I was paying a couple hundred a year just to stream my local NBA team's games when nearly every one of them was available for free had I been able to get Fox Sports Regional. Same with our local MLB team. By the time college football starts back in the fall I'm hoping there's a standalone ESPN subscription but if not I'll just swap back to the old subscription till the season's over again. 
  • Reply 20 of 21
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    If SlingTV comes to TiVo I may give it a shot. I haven't used AppleTV much since I cut the cord and purchased my Roamio last year. HBOGo, PLEX, Netflix, et. al., are already there.