Rumor: suppliers begin to receive Apple Watch 2 component orders

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple has reportedly started signing component orders for the second-generation Apple Watch, a possible sign that version two of the wearable will begin mass production within the next few months.

The list of partners is a familiar one, according to occasionally-accurate Digitimes. Advanced Semiconductor Engineering and Samsung are both said to have made the cut, along with smaller players Amkor, STATS ChipPAC, and Kinsus Interconnect Technology.

ASE would be the primary supplier of SiP modules for the so-called "S2" chip that is likely to power the new device. Amkor and STATS ChipPAC would serve as secondary providers.

Apple would continue to source processor fabrication and NAND storage from Samsung.

The Apple Watch 2 is rumored to be a performance upgrade, rather than a full redesign. If released around the same time as the anticipated iPhone 7, the next-generation Watch would mirror the handset's tick-tock cadence.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Credit card ready here for several Mk II watches ...   
    macguiai46
  • Reply 2 of 23
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Ditto that. But I wonder why they have gone past the one year anniversary of Watch1? Having a tick-rock upgrade cycle that coincides with the iPhone eliminates an additional opportunity to generate publicity and interest for Apple in the spring. The two products are stepping on each other's lines. 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Ditto that. But I wonder why they have gone past the one year anniversary of Watch1? Having a tick-rock upgrade cycle that coincides with the iPhone eliminates an additional opportunity to generate publicity and interest for Apple in the spring. The two products are stepping on each other's lines. 
    There are as many rumors it will 2017 not 2016.  I hope sooner but not holding my breath.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    I got an email from Apple today saying new models and new bands are available. 
  • Reply 5 of 23
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    xsmi said:
    no you didnt
    jbdragonai46nolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 23
    I haven't clicked on the link yet, but I have screenshot and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get my email address out of the picture. I'll post the screenshot when I'm done.
  • Reply 7 of 23
  • Reply 8 of 23
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    xsmi said:
    Here it is.

It's for the stuff announced several weeks ago during the keynote...not referring to the next gen, which is sort of what this article is about,
  • Reply 9 of 23
    thrang said:
    xsmi said:
    Here it is.

It's for the stuff announced several weeks ago during the keynote...not referring to the next gen, which is sort of what this article is about,
    But the bands were the only things announced, right? There were no new watch models were there?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    The "new models" that email refers to are just existing Apple Watches bundled with the new bands. I received the email as well. Remember Apple dropped some watch models when they introduced some of these new combos?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    OK. I was just confused with the way it was worded.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    xsmi said:
    I got that too. It made absolutely no sense. What are Apple considering the "new" models? Just the same old case designs packaged with the new bands?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    My Apple Watch wish list:

I prefer the aluminum body over stainless steel; I just don't like shiny metal, not on my car, not on my kitchen and bath fixtures, and not on my wrist.  But I also want maximum durability.  So give me a Sport model with the Sapphire face.  Charge me $100 more for that.  I'll pay it.

A leather band option for the aluminum Sport Watch body.  Currently, the leather bands have stainless steel where they attach to the watch body.

Larger app icons so I'll stop hitting the wrong one when trying to open an app.  I've been using the method of dragging the app cloud around on the screen to get the app I want to open in the center, then spinning the Digital Crown to open that app.  That way I never accidentally open the wrong app, which is frustrating.
    bb-15
  • Reply 14 of 23
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    thrang said:
    xsmi said:
    Here it is.

You're right. But at first glance it's confusing. I received the same, and, even if I knew it was referred mostly at bands, it looks like they are showing a new product. Read the "Brand-new models" in the first phrase.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member

Larger app icons so I'll stop hitting the wrong one when trying to open an app.  I've been using the method of dragging the app cloud around on the screen to get the app I want to open in the center, then spinning the Digital Crown to open that app.  That way I never accidentally open the wrong app, which is frustrating.
    Turn on Reduce Motion in Apple Watch app / Settings / General / Accessibility. That makes app icons one large uniform size and disables that rolling app sphere.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    B) MOAR RUMOURS PLEASE!!!  Battery, battery, battery *crosses fingers*
    I will be interested when the 4th generation comes out - 2nd design with upgraded internals.

Hopefully by then they will have a decent SIRI and longer battery life.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    josu said:
    thrang said:
    You're right. But at first glance it's confusing. I received the same, and, even if I knew it was referred mostly at bands, it looks like they are showing a new product. Read the "Brand-new models" in the first phrase.
    If Apple Marketing uses such a wording that may also signify that there is no "new" model in the horizon  B)
  • Reply 18 of 23
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A performance bump and even better environmental sealing would be enough for me to take the plunge. The current model is a little slow to react but not as big, heavy or as thick as I was expecting...tried one on a month or so back...the Space Black SS version is really nice! That CLD coating makes it look and feel like ceramic not steel, together with the SB Milanese Loop it'll look great. That's the version on my radar when the updated model is released. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 19 of 23
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member

I prefer the aluminum body over stainless steel; I just don't like shiny metal, not on my car, not on my kitchen and bath fixtures, and not on my wrist.  But I also want maximum durability.  So give me a Sport model with the Sapphire face.  Charge me $100 more for that.  I'll pay it.

A leather band option for the aluminum Sport Watch body.  Currently, the leather bands have stainless steel where they attach to the watch body.

Agree 100% with adding the sapphire face to the Sport model. While they adding your requested aluminum lugs to the leather bands, how about they add some gold Sport lugs to some bands as well? There are like 2 bands with gold lugs. The rest look terrible with shiny silver or aluminum lugs on a gold watch. No complaints at all about battery. I use mine a ton each day and still have about 25% battery when i take it off around 11pm.I'd love to see some under the hood updates. Apps are so slow and could use a speed boost. Would love to see Siri capabilities expanded too, closer to what iPhone Siri can do.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    supadav03 said:

While they adding your requested aluminum lugs to the leather bands, how about they add some gold Sport lugs to some bands as well? There are like 2 bands with gold lugs. The rest look terrible with shiny silver or aluminum lugs on a gold watch. No complaints at all about battery.
    My guess is Apple won't do that because they want customers to upgrade to the stainless or Edition to get that kind of coordination, and it would probably cut into their margins to offer that many skus for a watch that will likely drop another $50 by the gen 2 release.
    edited April 2016