LG marketing depicts new MacBook-like Gram laptop running Apple's Final Cut & Logic [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2016
Marketing images for LG's new 15.6-inch Gram laptop depict the computer as running Apple's Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X on OS X -- even though the machine is based on Windows 10. [Updated]

The culprit images can be found on LG's features page for the product, specifically under the "USB-C" and "Hi-Fi Audio" sections, AppleInsider reader Lex noted on Friday. Other screenshots are generic mockups or do show Windows apps, such as Adobe Photoshop.

Whether or not the images were a mistake by LG's marketing team, the Gram itself appears to borrow many design cues from Apple's 12-inch Retina MacBook, including a gold color, "teardrop" slope, USB-C support, and an extremely lightweight design at 2.2 pounds. The MacBook is lighter still -- 2.03 pounds -- but of course uses a smaller screen, and makes other sacrifices, for instance using a tablet-oriented Intel Core M processor instead of the Gram's Core i7, and a single USB-C port for all wired connections.

The MacBook does have a much sharper 2,304-by-1,440 display resolution -- the Gram tops out at 1080p.

Many Windows laptops have taken to imitating Apple designs, at least in the ultrabook space the MacBook and MacBook Air belong to. Laptop makers in general have been working to make their devices more attractive and futuristic in an era when smartphones and tablets can potentially serve a person's needs.

Update: In a statement received by AppleInsider, LG said that it is "working to make the necessary corrections as quickly as possible," and has already removed both images from its website in the interim.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Obviously a marketing department mistake. Unless LG has made the most compatible and easy to set up hackintosh ever. In which case, I want one. 
  • Reply 2 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Somebody green screened the wrong image :-).
  • Reply 3 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Obviously a marketing department mistake. Unless LG has made the most compatible and easy to set up hackintosh ever. In which case, I want one. 
    LOL

• Reply 4 of 22
    Is this USB-C or thunderbolt 3 usb-c? I would love LG to make an updated thunderbolt 3 usb-c monitor to the thunderbolt 2 models they made. Far better monitor than the apple thunderbolt 1 display.

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/product/34um95

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/product/lge-34uc97

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/product/lge-27mb85z

LG Electronics 21:9 UltraWide 34UM88-P 34" Screen LED-Lit Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1Q0L4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_yGqexb8YRG5X1
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 5 of 22
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    It's more comparable to Macbook Air, given it's actually got some useful ports.
    entropys
  • Reply 6 of 22
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    cnocbui said:
    Or a rMBP once Apple slims them down. According to this site, the Air is on its last legs.

http://jackgmarch.com/2016/04/11/the-end-of-apple-macbook-ipad-air-brand/

Of course I think most people expect that so no surprise but I wish people would quit spinning these PC ultrabooks as some sort of feat of engineering that Apple can't accomplish. The rMB is what it is because Apple chose to make it that way not because they're incapable of engineering something different. They chose (or Intel's release schedule chose for them) to launch the rMB first.

What's more interesting to me is many of these new MBA like machines aren't 2-in-1's and either don't have touch screens or aren't touting them as a major feature. All the marketing seems to be It's thin! It comes in gold! It has more ports! When Apple does thin it's shame on Apple for being so obsessed with thinness. When everyone else does it you never hear the same complaining.
    aaronjmoreckidrey
  • Reply 7 of 22
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    rogifan_new said:

When Apple does thin it's shame on Apple for being so obsessed with thinness. When everyone else does it you never hear the same complaining.
    This LG is thin, but still has has 8 I/O ports including DC power in and SD card slot. 
    entropys
  • Reply 8 of 22
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:
    When Apple does thin it's shame on Apple for being so obsessed with thinness. When everyone else does it you never hear the same complaining.
    That's because when others do thin, they also do ports.  :)

Just wait till the headphone sockets get deleted from the iPhone and other things.  I strongly suspect it really will negatively impact sales.
    entropys
  • Reply 9 of 22
    cnocbui said:

Just wait till the headphone sockets get deleted from the iPhone and other things.  I strongly suspect it really will negatively impact sales.
    I wonder what they plan to do about the headphone jack on their computers. If we buy Lightning based headphones, will we need a dongle for the computers? Which is worse, a dongle for your iPhone or a dongle for your MacBook? Might they put a Lightning port on the computers? I don't particularly care for dongles. I'm already using two on my iMac 5K.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 10 of 22
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    cnocbui said:
    Or a rMBP once Apple slims them down. According to this site, the Air is on its last legs.

http://jackgmarch.com/2016/04/11/the-end-of-apple-macbook-ipad-air-brand/

Of course I think most people expect that so no surprise but I wish people would quit spinning these PC ultrabooks as some sort of feat of engineering that Apple can't accomplish. The rMB is what it is because Apple chose to make it that way not because they're incapable of engineering something different. They chose (or Intel's release schedule chose for them) to launch the rMB first.
    Yes it is amazing still that few realize that nothing happens at Apple without a lot of thinking first. Their goal is not simply to move product at all costs (as it is in every other computer company), but rather to determine what cutomers actually need. They then find a way to fill that need in an elegant, well designed and functioning form while still making some money. Apple determined most customers don't need tons of ports so they don't put them in. Plus Jony and the design team like simplicity and when you buy Apple you are buying what the design team wants to a large degree. Most of us here understand that, but few on the PC side can comprehend. It's very easy to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks - Apple doesn't do that.
    calimwhiteai46magman1979macky the mackyaaronjbadmonk
  • Reply 11 of 22
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    cnocbui said:
    That's because when others do thin, they also do ports.  :)

Yeah and Apple hasn't released new rMBPs yet either. But like I said the rMB has only one port by design, not because Apple engineers aren't smart or innovative enough to add more. And if the rMB had two ports some PC OEM would make sure their laptop had 3 becau se they think a bigger number on a spec sheet looks better. I'm curious though what's the performance of these machines. Are they as capable as the rMBP? Are they noisy, do they get hot? What's the battery life like? That new super thin HP laptop actually weighs more than the rMB and has fans. There haven't been any reviews yet (other than tech sites parroting HP's marketing materials). I'll be very surprised if it gets 9-10 hours battery life and I won't be surprised if it's noisy and runs hot.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    welshdog said:

Apple determined most customers don't need tons of ports so they don't put them in. 
    Depends, my MBP, iMac and Mac Pro have tons of ports.
    morecksingularity
  • Reply 13 of 22
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    Pretty
  • Reply 14 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I hate how everything looks like a MacBook now.
    moreck
  • Reply 15 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I believe that's what we call "false advertising ".
    moreck
  • Reply 16 of 22
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    You forgot 1 thing that none of Hackintosh can copy: Apple Track Pad with Force Touch and haptic feedbacks! I wouldn't buy a Hackintosh unless it can have similar track pad.
    moreck
  • Reply 17 of 22
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    That would be a good way to increase sales. All LG has to do is use the same components as Apple and it would be easy to install OS X.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    I think this is solid proof that the competition is so desperate to get a piece of Apples customer's that they will do anything to copy, steal, reverse engineer Apples products, packaging, advertising, store layout, computer genius ....
    moreck
  • Reply 19 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    The designers of these copycat and lookalike products must have no pride whatsoever. Life is too short to waste your talent copying other people's stuff. Yeah I know a buck is a buck, but selling out to corporate yes men who have no pride or morals is no way to live your life. Customers who buy this copycrap and believe they're getting a product designed with their best interests in mind are getting ripped off.
    moreckbadmonk
  • Reply 20 of 22
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Is it just me, or is "better than CD-quality audio" seem like a strange way to sell the audio?  I don't know.  It just seems pretty anachronistic.  

Eh.  Maybe it's just me.
    edited April 2016