Rumor: Ultrathin MacBook update coming in second half of 2016, will feature redesigned hinge

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    I thought Skylake Mobile was released already. Could it be that battery life is a problem or that it was just released too late? http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-skylake-processor/ I have been coveting a MacBook for some time now. Waiting for a refresh in June will be tough. I don't think I can make it to September.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    josu said:
    I don't see the need to make thinner what is really thin, is out there a thinning race or something?

On the other hand, it could be helpful for the MacBook Pro, if only because, even if I can't call them heavy, to have that power in a lighter and much thinner body could drive sales. I could think about buying one next year to replace my old early 2008 MacBook Pro. Something that keeping the current form factor I would not consider, if only because I want to differentiate my laptops looking at them and not having to turn them on and opening the About this mac menu...
    A sticker or Sharpie could be your friend.
    Thanks for the advice, but I don't like marks or stickers in my laptops. I'm an old fart.To be fair I don't know what is a Sharpie. I live in Spain, sometimes I get lost in translation.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 23 of 40
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    josu said:
    A sticker or Sharpie could be your friend.
    Thanks for the advice, but I don't like marks or stickers in my laptops. I'm an old fart.To be fair I don't know what is a Sharpie. I live in Spain, sometimes I get lost in translation.
    I 'think' a sharpie is a US brand name for a black indelible-ink felt-tipped pen.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    What is wrong with the current hinge? It's the best looking hinge Apple has ever made. I'm not too fond of the rMBP hinge and giant black plastic cover it has. Now that could use some redesign. But on the other hand rMB 12'' doesn't have fans so the hinge and its cover can be really tight.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Maybe Apple will figure out how to provide something as basic as Ethernet on a Macbook ... without requiring 2 add-on adaptors: namely:
    * an Apple USB Ethernet adapter
    * USB-C to USB adapter

It's so messy, it has stopped me from buying one - went for a Macbook Air instead. 

P.S. Can one still power the Macbook while using the 2 adapters? Will that even work?

• Reply 26 of 40
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Are we reaching a sort of threshold where we're going to once again stall out on speed and processing power? I'm still remembering the days with PowerPC hit that wall. What options do we have at this point? Simply add more cores to share in the workload making processes faster? Just wondering out load what we're going to see happen if these issues can't be overcome. What do you think would change in CPU design?
    RIP Moore's Law...??

(Tho' some new process will likely revive it or something like it or something new altogether in not all that long. We're very clever monkeys.)
  • Reply 27 of 40
    wozwoz said:
    Maybe Apple will figure out how to provide something as basic as Ethernet on a Macbook ... without requiring 2 add-on adaptors: namely:
    * USB-C to USB adapter

It's so messy, it has stopped me from buying one - went for a Macbook Air instead. 

P.S. Can one still power the Macbook while using the 2 adapters? Will that even work?

You can buy a USB-C to Ethernet adapter from Amazon for 20 bucks. Anker makes a good one that I've been using for months now without a single issue. I'd link to it but AI doesn't like linking products they aren't being paid to advertise, unless it is made by Apple. 
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Redesigned hinge? Really?
  • Reply 29 of 40
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    It's April and still no solid rumour for the pro series. I'm expecting Thunderbolt 3/ USB-C all over. Probably a redesign, but how slim can they go without sacrificing performance? A high performing pro still gonna need a graphics card and fans, right?
  • Reply 30 of 40
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    wozwoz said:
    * USB-C to USB adapter

Macbook Air also requires a USB ethernet adaptor for a wired connection.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I think they should just release a new range of 11,13,and 15 inch MacBooks w/ Retina, to go with 13 and 15 MacBook Pros with Retina, and that be the whole lineup.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    crowley said:
    wozwoz said:
    * USB-C to USB adapter

Macbook Air also requires a USB ethernet adaptor for a wired connection.
    But not daisy-chaining two adapters into each other.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    saldog said:
    I thought Skylake Mobile was released already. Could it be that battery life is a problem or that it was just released too late? http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-skylake-processor/ I have been coveting a MacBook for some time now. Waiting for a refresh in June will be tough. I don't think I can make it to September.
    Only a few SkyLake chips have been released, most of them not that impressive. There is not an entire set of chips available for laptops. Intel has significantly screwed up with their 14 mm process, they have had serious issues getting good yields on more advance SkyLake chips. There als seems to be design issues with some variants of SkyLake. This is really sad because Samsung, TSMC and even Global Foundries seem to be doing better. As a side note Intel is apparently laying off a lot of people right now. Things don't look too rosey in Intel land.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    wozwoz said:
    * USB-C to USB adapter

I have to agree that Apple has made a big mistake here with Ethernet support. Some places will not support RF communications no matter what. Why they didn't turn the charger into a hub is beyond me. A Ethernet port, a USB port and a video port would have made for very nice desktop docking. That wouldn't take care of portable Ethernet but would have been a compromise that would have made sense.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    I can't recall ever having used the Ethernet port on my MacBook Pro, which is now just over five years old.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    ireland said:
    Please be rMBA. Please be rMBA.

I still say MacBook 12", rMBA 14" and rMBP 16" (dedicated graphics). Reduce a few bezels and this works well. Each has additional ports, power, weight and display size. And customers can make a far easier decision as to what they.

Damn AI app is malfunctioning but my guess (because it is simple and Jobsian is

12" rMB, 13" MBP, 14" rMB, 15" MBP

and ditch the air models...  this way only one new style (14" rMB).
  • Reply 37 of 40
    I doubt it is time to ditch the Airs just yet. 

If if they can't get the MacBook under $1000, the Air stays for another generation.
    pmz
  • Reply 38 of 40
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    I think it's time for the PPC to make a return. :P Or perhaps Apples A-Series for laptop?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    spheric said:
    I can't recall ever having used the Ethernet port on my MacBook Pro, which is now just over five years old.
    I have wanted to use it on several occasions with mine, but didn't have the adapter so had to use a windows laptop that did have one.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    danwellsdanwells Posts: 39member
    Ethernet is useful in larger institutions... It's surprising how often an innocent-looking Ethernet port at a university (probably true of other large places as well) turns out to be Gigabit, with the bandwidth coming in to back it up. They're pretty good at upgrading wiring closets (and Gigabit switches have been around for quite a while), while they're much less likely to tear out a whole bunch of 802.11n access points scattered all over campus to replace them with the latest 802.11ac points, much less let you make a 2x2 or 3x3 connection to one. You often end up with a choice of Gigabit Ethernet with good infrastructure behind it OR an N150 (or even N72) WiFi connection on an overcrowded access point. Yes, fancy WiFi can match GigE speeds, but that kind of WiFi is rare, and there are plenty of campuses where GigE goes begging while everyone crowds on to elderly access points.