Apple's Jony Ive donates one-of-a-kind iPad Pro & accessories to charity auction

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2016
An auction in London is featuring a custom 12.9-inch iPad Pro and accompanying Smart Cover, Apple Pencil and holder as one of its lots, as donated by Apple SDO Jony Ive and his design team.

The special iPad will be one of 39 lots in the upcoming "Time for Design" auction being held by the Design Museum, in collaboration with Phillips, to help fund relocation efforts, Wallpaper reports.

Laser engraved "Edition 1 of 1," the iPad Pro features a custom yellow gold anodized chassis and comes with a matching blue Smart Cover crafted from French leather. An Apple Pencil with similar yellow gold gilding is also included and comes with an orange made from Italian calf leather.

Ive's relationship with the Design Museum goes back decades. The famous designer showed off a prototype mobile phone at the museum in 1990, just two years before he made the switch from Apple contractor to employee. In 2003, Ive won the museum's first "Designer of the Year" award for his work on iMac.

Owning the collection comes at quite the premium, however, as the lot is estimated to sell for between 10,000 pounds and 15,000 pounds, or $14,200 and $21,300. The Time for Design auction will be held on April 28.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I'm diggin this. I like the blue/yellow color combo. Very Golden State Warriors. Don't really get all the "this is uuugly" comments floating around the net. I'd buy one. 
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 2 of 17
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Steve Jobs, as a pescatarian, would have never approved "an orange made from Italian calf leather". Apple meet doom. /scnr Looks amazing. Wish they would make just any nice color cover for the 12.9 Pro in leather at all.
    radiospace
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    dreyfus2 said:
    Steve Jobs, as a pescatarian, would have never approved "an orange made from Italian calf leather". Apple meet doom. /scnr Looks amazing. Wish they would make just any nice color cover for the 12.9 Pro in leather at all.
    Apple offered leather cases while Jobs was still alive.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 4 of 17
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
     and comes with an orange made from Italian calf leather.
    That's gotta be tough to chew.
    freshmakerradiospace
  • Reply 5 of 17
    dreyfus2 said:
    Veal meat and calf leather are crucial parts of the dairy and meat businesses. Standards of life for the animals in most of the developed world have improved greatly in recent years. If you choose to eat beef or drink cows milk you should be eating veal too. It is the only way you can truly respect and animal that is losing its life for your dinner plate. 
    edited April 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Go ahead and down-vote me if you disagree. 

'Interesting Apple news' has lately become an oxymoron. It is evident in spades when you look at the pathetic number of comments, on average, on a typical story here (except for FBI/government v. Apple or its variations). 

What does it say about what's going on? Is it AI, or is it Apple?
    singularityradarthekat
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mike1 said:
    dreyfus2 said:
    Apple offered leather cases while Jobs was still alive.
    But they never offered leather fruit. #progress
  • Reply 8 of 17

dreyfus2 said:
    Veal meat and calf leather are crucial parts of the dairy and meat businesses. Standards of life for the animals in most of the developed world have improved greatly in recent years. If you choose to eat beef or drink cows milk you should be eating veal too. It is the only way you can truly respect and animal that is losing its life for your dinner plate. 
    whoosh
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 9 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    supadav03 said:
    I'm diggin this. I like the blue/yellow color combo. Very Golden State Warriors. Don't really get all the "this is uuugly" comments floating around the net. I'd buy one. 
    Me too for GSW's great season.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

'Interesting Apple news' has lately become an oxymoron. It is evident in spades when you look at the pathetic number of comments, on average, on a typical story here (except for FBI/government v. Apple or its variations). 

I would say Apple. The most interesting thing to come out of their last event was a recycling robot. I'm guessing WWDC dates will be announced next week so chatter will be on what hidden meaning is in the logo. I still think wonder boy Mark Gurman has stuff he's holding until close to WWDC so that might start leaking within the next month or so. 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 11 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    If you refer to the energy and scope of discussion about Apple products, that’s all on Apple. They’ve seriously fallen off in the last few years, both in quantity and quality. Taboo to say that it’s because Jobs is dead, but that’s one possibility, at least in part. Intel prevents Apple from releasing products any more quickly than they are, but given some of Apple’s outlook thus far, do we really know that they don’t want to release even slower?
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 12 of 17
    If you refer to the energy and scope of discussion about Apple products, that’s all on Apple. They’ve seriously fallen off in the last few years, both in quantity and quality. Taboo to say that it’s because Jobs is dead, but that’s one possibility, at least in part. Intel prevents Apple from releasing products any more quickly than they are, but given some of Apple’s outlook thus far, do we really know that they don’t want to release even slower?
    They only have so many main products to release so news is going to fall off especially if they look the same with only spec bumps as improvements. iPhone will gear up in the summer and macs are seemingly hamstrung by Intel. The ATV, iPads are done except for a spec bump on the iPad Pro to bring the camera and screen in line with the iPad 9.7 inch pro so that only leaves the iPhone for the fall. 50 stories on Apple vs. FBI only go so far to keep interest. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 13 of 17
    isteelers said:
    They only have so many main products to release so news is going to fall off especially if they look the same with only spec bumps as improvements. iPhone will gear up in the summer and macs are seemingly hamstrung by Intel. The ATV, iPads are done except for a spec bump on the iPad Pro to bring the camera and screen in line with the iPad 9.7 inch pro so that only leaves the iPhone for the fall. 50 stories on Apple vs. FBI only go so far to keep interest. 
    Yes, the next iPhone will create a bit of buzz, for sure. But what's/where's the Next Big Thing? Usually, there's at least some speculation....

The car is still in realm of at best a vague/long-run possibility; the Watch is great (I love mine), but will not move the needle as long it remains a subset of the iPhone for its full set of capabilities; the 'living room' does not seem to be going anywhere, certainly not with the current version of AppleTV; there is little, if any news on ApplePay or CarPlay; and nothing at all on HealthKit or HomeKit. Moreover, iLife, OS X, iOS, iWork, Quicktime, etc. are mature offerings where the norm is largely unexciting, incremental improvements -- in fact, far more important news would be simplification. iCloud is OK, not remotely a home run the way that the cloud has been for Microsoft or Amazon. AppleMusic is still a 'Meh' service for me, and there has not been much on the Beats hardware front.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 14 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    anantksundaram said:
    the ‘living room’ does not seem to be going anywhere... ...and nothing at all on HealthKit or HomeKit.
    Intelligent Homes have potential to change things a bit, but not until the cost of the associated hardware drops by an order of magnitude.

Apple made record sales and profits through every quarter of the “Great Recession” (which never ended, but going by the “accepted” end date), but they won’t do the same this time around. There’ll have to be a huge drop in prices for most tech companies to survive, and is that even a possibility? I don’t think so, what with rare metal production not exploding.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    isteelers said:
    Yes, the next iPhone will create a bit of buzz, for sure. But what's/where's the Next Big Thing? Usually, there's at least some speculation....

The car is still in realm of at best a vague/long-run possibility; the Watch is great (I love mine), but will not move the needle as long it remains a subset of the iPhone for its full set of capabilities; the 'living room' does not seem to be going anywhere, certainly not with the current version of AppleTV; there is little, if any news on ApplePay or CarPlay; and nothing at all on HealthKit or HomeKit. Moreover, iLife, OS X, iOS, iWork, Quicktime, etc. are mature offerings where the norm is largely unexciting, incremental improvements -- in fact, far more important news would be simplification. iCloud is OK, not remotely a home run the way that the clod has been for Microsoft or Amazon. AppleMusic is still a 'Meh' service for me, and there has not been much on the Beats hardware front.
    Next big thing for Apple? I would say they should get into smart home businesses and TV program services: home security, home automatic control, surveillance services and TV subscription. My home surveillance monitor costs $25/mo for just alarm monitoring. What if Apple has TV program subscriptions together with all these subscriptions: Music, iCloud and even home security monitoring services. Those will generate $100/mo per household. Let's say 10% of US household (~30 millions) to subscribe these; it's $3B/mo there.

edited April 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 16 of 17
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

I would say Apple.
    I would say the fact that there are dozens of social media outlets for people to choose from these days.  Forums are for us old-timers. ;)
  • Reply 17 of 17
    clscls Posts: 1member
    Owning the collection comes at quite the premium, however, as the lot is estimated to sell for between 10,000 pounds and 15,000 pounds, or $14,200 and $21,300. The Time for Design auction will be held on April 28.
    It comes at even more of a premium. Phillips' Buyer's Premium (at this valuation), is 25%. VAT is charged at a rate of 20% of that 25%. There are of course fees for shipping, handling, payment, as well.