Apple Pay goes live in Singapore with American Express integration, Visa coming soon

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2016
Apple on Monday added Singapore to a growing list of locales that offer support for Apple Pay, with customers in the region now able to conduct touchless transactions and in-app purchases thanks to American Express integration.

Apple announced the latest Apple Pay expansion through its regional Singapore website, which notes limited launch support from American Express and a handful of brick-and-mortar stores. AmEx is listed as both the sole credit card issuer and participating bank, though more are listed as "coming soon."

Visa intends to offer credit card support for Apple Pay in the coming months, as do local banks DBS, UOB and Standard Chartered. The companies did not announce an estimated activation date, though past Apple Pay rollouts have seen fairly quick turnaround times.

Retail outlets accepting Apple's NFC-based payments protocol include FairPrice, Shaw Theaters, Starbucks, Starhub, Topshop and Uniqlo, many of which accept Apple Pay at other international locations. Other stores like 7 Eleven, The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, Food Republic and Toast Box plan to offer support in the coming months.

Unveiled in 2014, Apple Pay initially rolled out in the U.S. as a convenient and safe alternative to physical credit and bank cards. Initially limited to iPhone 6 owners, Apple's touchless payments solution comes built in on all current iPhone models, as well as Apple Watch. In addition, Touch ID-equipped iPads can handle in-app transactions.

After a domestic rollout, Apple Pay arrived in the UK last July, followed by Canada and Australia in November.

Most recently, Apple initiated services in the important Chinese market in February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    For the poor sods in continental Europe: "any sign of the duck, Fawlty?"
    edited April 2016 ration allostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Dear MasterCard/Visa Australia,

Please get with the program.

Sincerely,

Me
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Yes, the Aussie banks won't come to the party in favour of their own solutions. So go around them with a deal direct with visa/MasterCard.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 16
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    This maybe a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. I haven't been out of the country since having Apple Pay to a country that supported any type of it. Say if I went to Singapore would I be able to use Apple Pay from my American, American Express, or does it have to be issued from that country? 
  • Reply 5 of 16
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    maclvr03 said:
    This maybe a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. I haven't been out of the country since having Apple Pay to a country that supported any type of it. Say if I went to Singapore would I be able to use Apple Pay from my American, American Express, or does it have to be issued from that country? 

You can use any US issued cards in Canada on NFC terminals even if Canadian cards don't work (except American Express Cards).
    If Singapoore is the same, any US cards would work if there are NFC terminals.
    But, I can't garantee it; just saying it looks like a situation similar to the Canadian situation.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    maclvr03 said:
    Apple Pay cards work abroad, provided that the local network supports it. E.g. Australian retailers have accepted USA Apple Pay payments well before American Express released there.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    entropys said:
    Yes, the Aussie banks won't come to the party in favour of their own solutions. So go around them with a deal direct with visa/MasterCard.
    How might one do that? VIsa and MasterCard are processors, not credit facilities. 

Apple pay came to Australia a day late and a buck short. Nfc has been nearly ubiquitous for years. 
  • Reply 8 of 16
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    djsherly said:
    entropys said:
    How might one do that? VIsa and MasterCard are processors, not credit facilities. 

Apple pay came to Australia a day late and a buck short. Nfc has been nearly ubiquitous for years. 
    Apple pay is not just about wireless payment so not sure what your talking about.
    It's about anonyzed transations and the fact you don't have to actually have the card with you, you can use your watch to pay (or your phone).
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 16
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    foggyhill said:
    djsherly said:

Apple pay is not just about wireless payment so not sure what your talking about.
    It's about anonyzed transations and the fact you don't have to actually have the card with you, you can use your watch to pay (or your phone).
    Again, how does one deal direct with MasterCard or Visa?

i get your point about the scope of Apple Pay but in the context of the article you're just being asinine. Contactless payments is the overwhelming thrust of the article. 
  • Reply 10 of 16
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    If
    dunks said:

Sincerely,

Me
    The problem in Australia (and likely in other countries where only Amex is available) is that the local banks are protecting their banks transfer fee revenue (in Australia that was 2.7Bn in 2015.)

They're not going to relinquish this control until it makes fiscal sense. (I.E When they lose enough transactions to Amex to justify supporting the fee that Apple are requesting for Apple Pay.)

So, how can you help get the ball rolling?
    Do what I did, I signed up to amex (since they have plenty of $0 fee cards) and cancelled my credit card while (and this part is important) clearly letting them know that I switched to Amex for Apple Pay, and won't consider any of their cards until they support Apple Pay as it's my preferred payment method.

Now here's the second half of what you need to do:
    If you're going shopping somewhere that you'd like to use Apple Pay, ask them if they support Amex/Apple Pay. If they say no, leave and go somewhere that does. I've already seen 2 stores in my area start accepting Amex just to get Apple Pay customers. (I know this because they told me.)

The fees a store pays for Amex transactions are not insurmountably larger than what EFTPOS are already charging. Stores that aren't supporting it are just being greedy. (Just like the banks that would rather lose out on super convenient and secure payments rather than harm their end of quarter profits.)
    edited April 2016 ration allostkiwijony0
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Overall, this is just a confusing rollout worldwide, with different processes, card issuers, and procedures in different countries. Not Apple's fault, for sure, but this is not helping global adoption one bit. 

I wish Apple would just focus on, build, highlight, and advertise NFC-compatibility as much it does ApplePay compatibility. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 12 of 16
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Overall, this is just a confusing rollout worldwide, with different processes, card issuers, and procedures in different countries. Not Apple's fault, for sure, but this is not helping global adoption one bit. 

I wish Apple would just focus on, build, highlight, and advertise NFC-compatibility as much it does ApplePay compatibility. 
    I agree that the rollout is confusing to those not knowledgeable of the details (so confusing to most people).  However, as you note, this is not primarily due to Apple but the local banks not wanting to participate in favour of either a home-grown solution, or believing the transaction amount Apple wants is to high.  The only thing Apple can do is take a smaller cut - but even then, it isn't clear that would bring many more local banks onboard at this time.

I don't understand your last statement - what do you want Apple to promote about NFC?  Is it that by referencing only ApplePay, some users might not know that any terminal which supports contactless payments "should" work?  I would think the term "NFC" has less awareness than "ApplePay" now.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    brucemc said:

I don't understand your last statement - what do you want Apple to promote about NFC?  Is it that by referencing only ApplePay, some users might not know that any terminal which supports contactless payments "should" work?  I would think the term "NFC" has less awareness than "ApplePay" now.
    There are many terminals where I regularly use my Watch or my iPhone to pay, and not one of them says 'ApplePay' or has an Apple logo. Most people I know don't even know that's an option! All those terminals display is an NFC logo. In other words, ApplePay is a subset of NFC, not the other way around. The possibilities to use Apple devices to pay for retail transactions is far more ubiquitous than is evident from Apple's advertising and promotion of it.

Of course the term 'NFC' has less awareness than 'ApplePay' now: but Apple could easily change that. In other words, I am suggesting that Apple should promote and advertise the method of paying, rather than only the 'ApplePay' brand.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    brucemc said:

There are many terminals where I regularly use my Watch or my iPhone to pay, and not one of them says 'ApplePay' or has an Apple logo. Most people I know don't even know that's an option! All those terminals display is an NFC logo. In other words, ApplePay is a subset of NFC, not the other way around. The possibilities to use Apple devices to pay for retail transactions is far more ubiquitous than is evident from Apple's advertising and promotion of it.

Of course the term 'NFC' has less awareness than 'ApplePay' now: but Apple could easily change that. In other words, I am suggesting that Apple should promote and advertise the method of paying, rather than only the 'ApplePay' brand.
    Gotcha!  Up here in Canada, NFC is widely available in merchant locations now (my experience is about 75% of stores I go to), however, the term "NFC" is not on the device nor what the merchants use.  The symbol I see most often now on terminals is the WiFi symbol (indicating wireless payment - even though technically inaccurate), and the terminology in spoken use is most often "tap to pay".  So I completely agree that Apple could help out educating users on this front.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    brucemc said:

Gotcha!  Up here in Canada, NFC is widely available in merchant locations now (my experience is about 75% of stores I go to), however, the term "NFC" is not on the device nor what the merchants use.  The symbol I see most often now on terminals is the WiFi symbol (indicating wireless payment - even though technically inaccurate), and the terminology in spoken use is most often "tap to pay".  So I completely agree that Apple could help out educating users on this front.
    It's probably not the WiFi symbol you saw, it really is the Contactless Payment Symbol, which is similar to WiFi but it's sideways with an extra fourth line but no dot and may have the hand with a disproportionate card or chip'd device, or simply just the arcs / lines / bars :

or simply 

edited April 2016
  • Reply 16 of 16
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    dunks said:

Sincerely,

Me
    Ditto !

Dear MasterCard/Visa Canada,