Apple launches new 12" MacBooks with Intel Skylake CPUs, rose gold color & longer battery life

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Just one port. Cannot believe it. Please, all Macs with Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 (Type C) Generation 2.
    roger wadeSnRalord amhranlorin schultz
  • Reply 22 of 102
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    pmz said:
    This is Apple's idea of improving their MacBook line and being more competitive: Offer a pink one.

This product is beautiful, but ridiculously overpriced for what it is. Such a shame.
    Competitive with what? Mac sales are growing while PC sales are slumping.
    ration alchiapscooter63uraharawilliamlondonmacgui
  • Reply 23 of 102
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    a little disappointing that they didn't add more ports and drop the price...at $999 with at least two ports it would be a pretty appealing laptop.
    roger wadebaconstang
  • Reply 24 of 102
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    schlack said:
    a little disappointing that they didn't add more ports and drop the price...at $999 with at least two ports it would be a pretty appealing laptop.
    Adding more ports isn't like a spec bump, it would require a redesign. Did anyone seriously think Apple would redesign this machine only one year after releasing it? The MBA received 3 spec bumps before it got a redesign (almost 3 years after it was announced). Outside of expecting a price drop I think people's expectations were out of whack.
    macpluspluschiapscooter63baconstangfastasleepwilliamlondonmacgui
  • Reply 25 of 102
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    lkrupp said:
    pmz said:
    This is Apple's idea of improving their MacBook line and being more competitive: Offer a pink one.

This product is beautiful, but ridiculously overpriced for what it is. Such a shame.
    Mac sales are declining less than the PC industry. There's a difference. 
    roger wadelord amhranbigpicssingularity
  • Reply 26 of 102
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    One other thing....the WWDC keynote is being held at Bill Graham auditorium not Moscone. That seems like a pretty big hint that new hardware will be announced at WWDC. No need to move the keynote to a bigger space if the only announcements are OS updates. The press mostly cares about new hardware.
    The venue is not about reporters, it's about a large developer audience.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Still only one USB-C port and low-res FaceTime camera. All the rest is a worthwhile update though.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

pmz said:
    jdw said:

And don't give us the "there isn't a 720p camera that's thin enough" cop out.  Making excuses for Apple only says "I'm as smart as Apple."  Which isn't very smart at all since neither you nor Apple can fit good tech in a thin chassis.  I say DO A STEVE JOBS.  When stupid engineers tell me it can't be done, I say, DO IT ANYWAY.  Where there's a will, there's a way.  There's always a way.  No excuses for stupid 480p tech.  None.  Zero.  Nada.
    But there is an excuse, and its not a technical one. Its called saving money on the components, engineering, and R&D, and driving the margin up.
    Amazing that you have over 3,000 posts yet seem to know little about how and why Apple designs products.
    brucemcwonkothesanewilliamlondonmacgui
  • Reply 29 of 102
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    appex said:
    Just one port. Cannot believe it. Please, all Macs with Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 (Type C) Generation 2.
    schlack said:

I'm expecting an update in September when the iPhone 7 is released, if they drop the 3.5mm Jack.

In which case, they will also replace the 3.5mm Jack with a Lightning 2 port. It won't be a second USB-C port, but close to it with an adapter, or likely use it to charge the rMB, instead. It'll be like the iPad 3 to iPad 4 Mid-cycle upgrade that replaced the 30-pin dock connector with Lightning. Might add Thunderbolt 3 then if the next processor is out too, or perhaps a price drop?
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 30 of 102
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    Nice but nowhere enough to get me to even consider an upgrade from my current rMB.
    Expected a lot more than an incremental upgrade.  
    roger wade
  • Reply 31 of 102
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    pmz said:
    lkrupp said:
    Mac sales are declining less than the PC industry. There's a difference. 
    I think his point was that Macs are still outpacing the industry. Apple will never compete with manufacturers whose bread and butter volumes are lower grade Pentiums, Celerons and AMD APUs. I would be curious if there were sales breakouts between the lower end CPUs and Intel's Core series (above the i3) to see how Macs compete against the higher-end PCs. 
  • Reply 32 of 102
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    Yawn. Apple will be coming out with the A10/A10X CPU in less than 6 months. Those CPUs will offer better overall performance including much better GPU performance and far better battery life. 

The iPad Pro also has better sound, and better software offerings.  

Not interested in the MacBook and frankly, I have virtually no interest in any of Apple's computers with Intel CPUs. In another generation, Apple's CPUs are going to seriously outperform anything Intel has for a portable form factor. And Apple's mobile machines will come with better cameras, OLED panels, etc. 
    I agree totally with you, but I wouldn't put it that way. Do not underestimate any MacBook, or people will get enraged with your iPad Pro for not attaching a mouse, a 4K display, a 198 key gaming keyboard, a portable weather station, a fire extinguisher and a hurdy gurdy !!!....

The iPad Pro is the Ferrari, while MacBooks are trucks. Cars will never replace trucks. This is the misinterpretation of the Post-PC notion. No one at Apple said anything like that. Steve Jobs said "PCs will become trucks". This is that misinterpretation that caused Steve Balmer to be fired following the spectacular failure of Microsoft with all that "convertible" saga, Windows 8, Metro and Surface things...
  • Reply 33 of 102
    jdw said:

When stupid engineers tell me it can't be done, I say, DO IT ANYWAY.  Where there's a will, there's a way.  There's always a way.  

At which point, your confused two year old again attempts to put his square block into a round hole, tears in his eyes.
    brucemcchiabaconstangmacgui
  • Reply 34 of 102
    jdw said:
    480p camera = Light years ahead.

Oh wait...  It's actually:

Light. Years Ahead.

Clever, Apple.  Very clever.

I waited a year for gen-2 and they still insult my intelligence with a horrific camera of epic proportions.  I just sent Apple my displeasure.  Perhaps you should as well:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

And don't give us the "there isn't a 720p camera that's thin enough" cop out.  Making excuses for Apple only says "I'm as smart as Apple."  Which isn't very smart at all since neither you nor Apple can fit good tech in a thin chassis.  I say DO A STEVE JOBS.  When stupid engineers tell me it can't be done, I say, DO IT ANYWAY.  Where there's a will, there's a way.  There's always a way.  No excuses for stupid 480p tech.  None.  Zero.  Nada.
    It's not an excuse, it's a reality. The cameras are sourced from third-party manufacturers and there isn't one thin enough to fit into the thin display assembly of the 12 inch MacBook. If someone were to manufacture a 720P camera thin enough, then I'm sure Apple would happily upgrade the camera. Don't know what the fuss is all about, the front facing camera is hardly worth shouting about.
    pscooter63williamlondonmacgui
  • Reply 35 of 102
    Not sure why some of you are bitching about the price and components of this refresh. This laptop is such a great piece of technology. Use one before you judge. I am not crazy about the camera either but if this is that important to your daily life I would think you would use a USB version anyway. There is not a laptop on the market that is as nice as this when you look at every aspect.
    williamlondonmacgui
  • Reply 36 of 102
    rhonin said:
    Nice but nowhere enough to get me to even consider an upgrade from my current rMB.
    Help me out here. Why should people be buying new computers every year?
    macgui
  • Reply 37 of 102

jdw said:

When stupid engineers tell me it can't be done, I say, DO IT ANYWAY.  Where there's a will, there's a way.  There's always a way.  
    No there's not always a way, hence why aluminum phones have antenna bands. 
  • Reply 38 of 102
    linkman said:
    wood1208 said:
    Why we fight to have better front camera on laptop ? Better back camera on iphone or ipad is desirable because it is meant to take good pictures of many things. For, front video chat camera, I rather have less pixel camera that not let me see other people's expressions/issues(pores,cut,bruises,not clean etc) on face and nor to show mine. Front camera is just a face representation on both side for mainly audio conversation. .
    Exactly! A front-facing camera on a laptop is useful for what? Selfies and chat? Capturing images of anything else than yourself ends up being an awkward contortion. 99% of you already have a really good camera that can do the same thing AND is ergonomically better for photos and video -- your cell phone.
    Such arrogant BS. Please know that your use case ≠ world's use case. I have an iPad, iPhone, and a MacBook Pro. Guess what I use mostly for my FaceTime and Skype (both of which I use a lot)?
    cali
  • Reply 39 of 102
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    freerange said:
    pmz said:
    But there is an excuse, and its not a technical one. Its called saving money on the components, engineering, and R&D, and driving the margin up.
    Amazing that you have over 3,000 posts yet seem to know little about how and why Apple designs products.
    Exactly.  People can buy what they want, and of course are free to criticize if it makes them feel better.  But Apple's approach to the Mac lineup continues to follow from Jobs' return in 1997. If people haven't figured it out by now, I guess they never will.  

And no, just because something is smaller, doesn't necessarily make it cost less to develop & build than something bigger.  It often costs more to get everything in.  So just because a 12" MB is smaller than the 13" MBA, doesn't mean it is going to cost less.  
    rhonin said:
    Very few upgrade their computers every year - I know of no one that does.  That doesn't mean that companies shouldn't upgrade their product lines every year, to bring in new buyers, upgraders from many years ago, etc.  You must be new to Apple if you expected every computer line to be a "redesigned" every year, rather than improvements to many components - as everyone in the entire industry does.  As long as you have something to complain about though...
    williamlondonmacgui
  • Reply 40 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Silico said:
    After 1 year I still love my 2015 12" retina Macbook. I've always felt as if Jony Ive and I sat down and he designed this laptop just for me.  Although the processor is slower, I have never noticed a difference from my previous Macbook Pro for the type of work I do - web-based business programs and Office.  Only issue has been battery life - I typically get a max of only 6 hrs - so the battery upgrade is welcome. I'd recommend this to computer to anyone who wants a lightweight, fun to use laptop and doesn't need more processing power.
    I couldn't go back to the that battery life. My 13" Air gets about double that.