New 12" MacBook boasts 80-90% faster SSD write speeds, 20% CPU improvement

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Initial tests with the new 12-inch MacBook are beginning to surface, showing that while the Intel Skylake processor is a modest improvement over its predecessor, the revamped solid state drive offers more significant speed boosts.

After receiving a review unit from Apple on Tuesday, The Verge did some initial benchmark tests with the refreshed hardware. They found that the Intel Core m5 model, clocked at 1.2 gigahertz, came in about 20 percent faster than last year's model in a Geekbench 3 test.

Disk write speeds measured with Blackmagic showed that the new SSD in the early 2016 MacBook is 80 to 90 percent faster than its predecessor. Reading speeds were defined as "smaller, incremental improvements."

Of course, more extensive benchmark comparisons will tell the full picture over the coming days and weeks. But the early sampling suggests performance will be in line with what Apple's marketing claims.

While Apple made no statements about the raw processing power of the new MacBook, the company did say its integrated Intel HD Graphics 515 offers up to 25 percent faster performance. A new, faster PCIe-based flash storage module was also highlighted by Apple, but without any claims about performance.

The 12-inch MacBook has also been upgraded with faster 1866-megahertz memory, and battery life has been improved by an hour, now estimated at up to 10 hours of runtime.

For those looking to squeeze a little more speed out of the MacBook, Apple offers a 1.3-gigahertz Intel dual-core m7 upgrade. It's $150 extra for the 512-gigabyte model, and a $250 increase over the entry-level 256-gigabyte version with 1.1-gigahertz m3 processor. All models come with 8 gigabytes of RAM and Intel HD Graphics 515.

The new MacBooks are now available to purchase direct from Apple, and will be sold through Apple Authorized Resellers and Apple's own retail stores beginning Wednesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    The increase in SSD performance should be noticeable but the rest - CPU and graphics 20-25% I don't think will be. How come HP can release an ultralight laptop that's a few mm's thinner than the Macbook with a lot more power and Apple can't or won't...afraid to impact rMBP sales maybe?
    jdwentropysroger wadeintheory
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    1983 said:
    The increase in SSD performance should be noticeable but the rest - CPU and graphics 20-25% I don't think will be. How come HP can release an ultralight laptop that's a few mm's thinner than the Macbook with a lot more power and Apple can't or won't...afraid to impact rMBP sales maybe?
     I'd probably wait a while and see how reliable the HP turns out to be.
    [Deleted User]redgeminipabancho
  • Reply 3 of 56
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    The small increase in CPU and graphic performance increases rests soley with Intel.  I bet the internal Apple semi producing the A series is beside themselves and glamoring to take over 
  • Reply 4 of 56
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    1983 said:
    Doesn't the HP have a fan while the MB is fanless? Also, I'm not sure about real life performance - including throttling. That was at least what I thought when I first read about the HP. 
  • Reply 5 of 56
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    1983 said:
    Is'nt it much much wider and bigger than 12 inch? That makes a hell of a difference in what kind of power you can put inside.

edited April 2016
  • Reply 6 of 56
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So Leo Laporte says he's buying an HP because the MacBook only has one port. I'm sure Phil Schiller is crushed.  :D
  • Reply 7 of 56
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    foggyhill said:
    1983 said:
    Is'nt it much much wider and bigger than 12 inch? That makes a hell of a difference in what kind of power you can put inside.

The HP laptop utilizes a 13.3." 1920x1080 screen & fans to cool the CPU
  • Reply 8 of 56
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    1983 said:
    Retina Macbook is the first fanless laptop.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They should really add a second USBc port and they both should be T3. Apple could and should do this to allow this product to take off. And the price should be $999 considering the 12" display size.
    edited April 2016 jdwentropysroger wade
  • Reply 10 of 56
    foggyhill said:

The HP laptop utilizes a 13.3." 1920x1080 screen & fans to cool the CPU
    So this laptop has to drive, 2304-by-1440 (which needs to dedicate a hell of lot of space to battery and be very efficient.

Not only that, it's  in a much much smaller body (harder to disperse heat)
    and that guy says the HP one is "higher performance". So, basically it was total troll comment he made.

magman1979baconstangai46iosenthusiast
  • Reply 11 of 56
    ireland said:
    They should really add a second USBc port and they both should be T3. Apple could and should do this to allow this product to take off. And the price should be $999 considering the 12" display size.
    It's the resolution that matters, not the display size. The 15 inch display of this resolution would be the same price (or even cheaper).

For this size and screen, this thing is as powerful as it can be.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Type-C Generation 2 is the future now and a must. Deal breaker!
    roger wade
  • Reply 13 of 56
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    ireland said:
    Apple doesn't release sales figures for this product so we have no idea if it's taking off or not. But considering the MBA had three spec bumps before it was redesigned my guess is IF this gets redesigned at all its not coming until 2017 or 2018. I think new MBPs will give us an indication of where MB is going.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    1983 said:

Pretty sure that isn't true.  My kids 13' HP Stream has no fans and I'm pretty sure we've had it longer than the MacBook has been out...
    roger wade
  • Reply 15 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    Not going to happen. There's literally no room for it, and the design is only going to get slimmer and lighter. Apple is not likely to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack until they have something to replace it with, and when that day comes, possibly with the iPhone 7, it's likely to be the Lightning port to accommodate the new wired headphone. But at least the option will be there with a second port. As for TB3, is that technically possible with this processor?
  • Reply 16 of 56
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Appleinsider, when citing someone a link to the source is the decent thing to do.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    gumbi said:

Pretty sure that isn't true.  My kids 13' HP Stream has no fans and I'm pretty sure we've had it longer than the MacBook has been out...

RETINA, the steam has half the resolution of this thing (4 times less pixels). Good grief. The HP Steam screen is also dimmer.
    It's also way less powered in every dimension possible (CELERON), with 4 times less memory.
    That's one hell of a difference in power usage. The screen and the GPU that powers it is by far the thing that uses the most power on these things.
    edited April 2016 jkichline
  • Reply 18 of 56
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    foggyhill said:
    gumbi said:

RETINA, the steam has half the resolution of this thing (4 times less pixels). Good grief. The HP Steam screen is also dimmer.
    It's also way less powered in every dimension possible (CELERON), with 4 times less memory.
    That's one hell of a difference in power usage. The screen and the GPU that powers it is by far the thing that uses the most power on these things.

Sure, the MacBook has a better screen and more power - it should, it's using a newer low-power CPU - but, that's not what was stated.  The comment was that the Retina MacBook was the "first fanless laptop".  HP Stream is a laptop, it is fanless, and it's been out longer than the MacBook.  Period.  End of story.

The HP Streams are actually pretty nice machines for the price - if you know what your getting.  This thing is used for homework - web, office, etc.  And for that purpose you can't beat the price.
    singularityroger wade
  • Reply 19 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    foggyhill said:

It's the resolution that matters, not the display size.
    Try develop Mac apps on 5K 3" display; both matter.

12" is too small for me. 14" is probably the perfect size for me for a portable notebook computer.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 20 of 56
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Will this thing run Bootcamp or another Windows partitioning tool?  Does it have the oomph to run Windows?  I'm curious.
    edited April 2016