Sony revamps Crackle iOS app with AirPlay & Apple Watch support, Facebook Messenger gets group voic

Posted:
in iPhone
Sony on Wednesday updated its Crackle video streaming app for iOS with many new features, including AirPlay and Apple Watch support, while Facebook began rolling out group voice calls for Messenger.

The new version of Crackle, 5.0, lets Apple Watch owners control playback or receive notifications. Owners of an Apple TV, meanwhile, can now use AirPlay to push video to a bigger screen.

The app as a whole has finally been optimized for iOS 9, and overhauled with a new interface, intended to make it easier to watch and browse. An "Always On" auto-play feature can start playing video on launch for instance, and the "Watch Now" channel guide should make it easier to find new content.

Search now includes filters, and while browsing the app will keep playing video in a thumbnail view.

Crackle is a free download, and runs on any device with iOS 7.1 or later. The service itself is also free, but ad-supported.

Facebook Messenger

To start a group voice call in the iOS or Android Messenger apps, people must first start a group conversation, then tap on a new phone icon. A subsequent screen lets users manage participants.

The feature is gradually deploying now through April 21, Facebook's David Marcus said. The iOS Messenger app is free for any device with iOS 7 or better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The small phone ironically has more info displayed on it than the big phone, plus the small phone has larger buttons on the bottom.

As for Crackle, I've had that app for a long time, though I can't remember last using it. I never knew that it was Sony that was behind it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    apple ][ said:
    The small phone ironically has more info displayed on it than the big phone, plus the small phone has larger buttons on the bottom.

As for Crackle, I've had that app for a long time, though I can't remember last using it. I never knew that it was Sony that was behind it.
    If you look closer the bigger phone is an iPhony.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 3 of 4
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    Instead of AirPlaying Crackle, you could just download the tvOS app.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    creek0512 said:
    Instead of AirPlaying Crackle, you could just download the tvOS app.
    You could, but hard to do on the AppleTV3 which is still being sold as the cheap version.