Apple might be banned from Macworld SF

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    [quote] If this is really about costs and how Apple can't afford to go, the move to Boston would have significantly helped them. <hr></blockquote>

I'm still not convinced that IDG would actually pass the majority of those savings on to people.

But I guess that's going to end up being a moot point.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    rooroo Posts: 162member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

'97 was pretty good, though the clone makers really didn't try to shake anything up at the expo.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

i know this is a bit after eugene's post, but i remember powercomputing's booth being extrememly cool at mwsf (it was best the first year they were there, '96?). the whole "militant" style. the dogtags. the "steve says" posters. the white hummer crushing pc's around the city. they really rallied the masses.

though, i was a teenage girl at the time, and the media says we're easily swayed by shiny things and bright colors.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    mmmmmmm......shiny things and bright colors...ahhhhhhhh
  • Reply 24 of 27
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    wow, this is getting better every time i log in...

now reported from the boston globe, via macfixit.com:

(********************************)

IDG Plays Hardball with Apple

After Apple announced last week that it would not be participating in 2004's Summer Macworld Expo because of the show's move to Boston, IDG said it may not let Apple exhibit at Macworld San Francisco. A Boston Globe report reads "If Apple won't participate in the Boston Macworld show, maybe Greco won't let the company display its wares at Macworld in Tokyo or Paris, or at the San Francisco show in Apple's backyard."

(********************************)

oh, man. okay, maybe steve et al. don't have the products, or the cash, or want to keep people from slowing sales right before trade shows... these are all excuses that we could accept, i think.

BUT, what pisses greco et al. so much is how BADLY apple has handled it, making fools of IDG right after their huge celebration in boston for the return of the show. apple could've either been a bit more direct about their misgivings (greco sounds ticked off enough fro me to believe him right now), or at least WAITED a little bit before saying "good for you. have anice time. we won't be there, though."

i WISH i could be a fly on the wall on either end of that conference call happening later today.

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: rok ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 27
    jpfjpf Posts: 167member
    Moogs: Valid points.

I wonder if Apple could pull off a successful intro intro into Comdex.

The only thing I truly see is: Steve Jobs demands the floor. He craves it. Remember the staged event when Apple introduced the Macintosh and when Steve came up with the Macintosh Dating Game (Young Bill Gates was on the stage)

I think Jobs needs to have keynotes. Right now, there are 4 places (NY, SF, Paris and Tokyo) What to do, what to do, what to do...
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Here's a bright fvcking idea...when Apple has news and wants to announce something...do it the traditional way ADVERTISE. Then have presentations of these new products, etc. AT THEIR APPLE STORES AND EVEN COMPUSA. Cheaper, quicker and you get a whole lot of press. Screw these Expos...they are a waste of money. The only people who go to them are geeks and sales people. APPLE NEEDS CONSUMERS. The average joe who doesn't want to pay out their ass to get and go to a trade show. Adobe and Macromedia have realized it and now so has Apple...but I hope they get off there asses and promote their stores...it seems to be their only hope...

plink, plink...2 cents...
  • Reply 27 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

<strong>Screw these Expos...they are a waste of money. The only people who go to them are geeks and sales people.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, actually, these aren't the only people that go. Most exhibitors are there for the press coverage. That's why the exhibitors nearly had a heart attack at MWNY when IDG sent them a revised list of registered press (after Apple cut it down). Sure, some geeks show up to the show, but the geeks aren't the reason Macworld happens.

Think about it, you have to attract exhibitors. How do you do that? Make it worthwhile. Promise them lots of media coverage and a lot of industry professionals. Why do the industry professionals show up? Well, not JUST for exhibits, which you can do in a day or two. They come for the conferences, both Users and Pro conferences. I've hosted conferences at Macworld, and I go to them every year. Those are a big draw.

True consumers are actually the minority at a Macworld, and Macworld isn't the kind of show where lots of big time sales are brokered. NAB, on the other hand...

[quote] APPLE NEEDS CONSUMERS. The average joe who doesn't want to pay out their ass to get and go to a trade show.<hr></blockquote>

Again, Macworld was not really meant for consumers. It's meant for the media (CNN shows up with camera crews at macworlds), it's meant for industry professionals. That's about it. The money is not made off of the exhibits only folk, it's made off of the people who go to the User/Pro conferences and the exhibitors.

[quote] Adobe and Macromedia have realized it and now so has Apple...but I hope they get off there asses and promote their stores...it seems to be their only hope... <hr></blockquote>

Apple is interesting because they seem to like to have their cake and eat it too. I mean, they like to make the hardware AND the operating system. They want to make consumer AND pro systems. But they don't want to make just any consumer or pro systems... they want to make the best.

I don't think promoting their stores is their only hope. I think it would be nice to run some ads on TV about the stores, or at least mention them more in the ads.

I think Apple is doing fine, and honestly, I wouldn't care too much if they pulled out of Macworld. I don't go for Apple. I go to see the other exhibitors, I go to the user and pro conferences. The amount of time I actually end up spending in the Apple booth isn't all that much. It would be nice to have them there, but oh well.

Besides, all of this is going to blow over. Apple and IDG will figure it out. Let them play their little games, don't get hung up over it.