Walmart Pay begins trickling out to iPhone users via app update

Posted:
in iPhone
The latest update to retail colossus Walmart's first-party iOS app included a significant new feature -- support for Walmart Pay, the company's in-house mobile payments effort.

Walmart Pay is a QR-code based payment system, similar to the stillborn CurrentC option in which Walmart was a partner. The most significant difference comes in payment methods -- Walmart Pay does not support direct debit, a tentpole CurrentC feature.

Users are required to create an account on Walmart.com and link a credit or debit card or add a Walmart Gift Card. Subsequently logging in on their mobile device will make that payment method available in the store.

Payment within the app is protected by a four-digit security code, and owners of supported iPhones can choose to boost that protection to include Touch ID. After authenticating, users will be asked to scan the QR code at the register -- they will receive an electronic receipt when payment is successful.

In practice, this approach is similar to the long-running Starbucks in-app payment system. Though the coffee chain uses pre-filled wallets and a different variety of barcode, the checkout flow is the same.

Walmart Pay is available in select Walmart stores throughout the U.S., and continues to expand. There is no word yet on exactly which stores are compatible, but the company expects to have full coverage in the U.S. by the end of 2016.

The Walmart app is a free, 48.9-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    fail
    magman1979damonfpatchythepiratewaverboymacky the mackyjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Is this a really late April fool's joke?
    magman1979damonfpatchythepiratewaverboy
  • Reply 3 of 11
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    The space on my 16GB iPhone 4s is at a premium. Why should I install a 48.9MB app that works for only one store that I rarely shop at, may not work at that one, and requires me to spend a bunch of time setting up an account? In a typical month I shop at about 12 different stores. I'm not about to install an app for each individual merchant.

My wife uses the Starbucks app because she gets a lot of SB cards gifted to her. It's usually a difficult experience just to get the barcode to scan. Apple Pay is sooooo much easier.
    supadav03waverboymacky the mackyjbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 11
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Why doesn't Walmart stick to what it's good at, which is selling cheap shit, instead of trying to take on something much better left to those that are actually capable of offering a good user experience? I don't need a fucking payment app for every retailer I shop at.
    damonfsupadav03waverboymacky the mackyjbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 5 of 11
    slurpy said:
    Why doesn't Walmart stick to what it's good at, which is selling cheap shit, instead of trying to take on something much better left to those that are actually capable of offering a good user experience? I don't need a fucking payment app for every retailer I shop at.
    It's the app economy! Everyone has an app! /s
    cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Seems like Android users would have been their target audience. I have made it a point not shop at retailers that deliberately refuse to support Apple Pay. Slow adoption is one thing but outright blocking it is an entirely different beast. 8 months a go I ran into Target to buy an extension cord. I had left my wallet in the car but feeling that Target was upscale and being totally oblivious to their participation in CurrentC I got in line anyway figuring Apple Pay would work. Embarrassingly it didn't work and from that day forward I decided to give all my business to Amazon. 
    edited April 2016 supadav03
  • Reply 7 of 11
    tzterritzterri Posts: 110member
    Wish they would accept ApplePay but whatever, another app on my phone. :-/
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 8 of 11
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Just another reason NOT to shop at Walmart, and with price matching, there really isn't ANY reason to
    jbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 9 of 11
    sau124sau124 Posts: 18member
    Guess, which company is loosing money like crazy? Some people and companies will never learn.
    jbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    supadav03 said:
    Just another reason NOT to shop at Walmart, and with price matching, there really isn't ANY reason to
    So, please explain why Apple allowed Wal-Mart to sell the Watch? And sell them at huge discounts on sale?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    This is significantly more work for a country that still hasn't got its head around wireless "tap" payments. I heard an interesting tidbit out of Coachella this year: so many people thought the tap-to-pay terminals were only for smart phones. They didn't realise their card had this feature.