Apple launches new 12" MacBooks with Intel Skylake CPUs, rose gold color & longer battery life

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    To those bitching about the price, just wait a few months. I got my 12 inch MacBook (base model) in December from the eBay Deal of the Day for $999 brand new, plus a special 10% eBay Bucks promotion which gave me another $100 back. 

And Best Buy has regularly had it for $999 during the past five months. 

Give it it time and this one will be that cheap as well. 
  • Reply 82 of 102
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    sdw2001 said:
    jdw said:
    480p camera = Light years ahead.
    Just stop with the hyperventilating.  Sure, a 480p camera sucks.  But really?  That's your big complaint?  Go ahead, tell us why you NEED a better FaceTime camera.  Go ahead and look at what's available camera wise and then wave your magic wand to "make" it fit in the Book's incredibly thin chassis.  While you're at it, make sure you use your infinite technical wisdom to make sure that jamming such a camera in there doesn't come with performance trade offs.   A MB isn't powerful enough for me, so I'm not buying one.  But listening to you people complain about a consumer level machine not having bleeding edge specs is tiresome.  It's a hyper thin notebook made for portability and typical consumer applications.  You're not going to be using it for a 30 person video conference call while downloading a 50GB file and editing in Final Cut.   There is no pleasing you spec whores. 
    Now that's funny.  You just admit a 480p camera "sucks" and then you complain about my complaint that it sucks.  And then you ask me to tell you why I need something that doesn't suck.  And then you assume you know about every camera that's even a single pixel higher than 480p and preach to use that "they will never fit in a thin chassis."  

I am highly critical of Apple because I love Apple.  They have earned my love.  I praise them as much as criticize them. And I am glad you "the status quo sucks but its also great too" folks are not at Apple, otherwise nothing superb would ever get done.  Steve Jobs took a lot of flack for kicking engineers into gear, but he got the job done.  Although it MIGHT be possible that current tech still can't fit a 720p camera in a thin enclosure, I am not the most knowledgeable source on the subject, and neither are you folks.  But Apple is.  And to ASSUME the tech doesn't exist would be silly.  If the tech did not exist, Apple would probably have said that to defend themselves against the 480p outcry.  But Apple never said anything about that, meaning the tech probably does exist but they chose not to implement it.  So I complained in this forum, and I sent them Feedback too.  I would encourage others here who are like-minded to do the same.

It doesn't matter why I want a 720p or 1080p or even 4K camera, because none of you are me.  But for the price, I want 2016 tech in that machine.  I refuse to buy it unless certain criterion are met.  The current model meets almost those criterion EXCEPT for the camera, which is why I will wait another year to see if Gen-3 finally gets it right.

Don't defend the Status Quo.  Defend good tech.
    RobJenkcnocbui
  • Reply 83 of 102
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Gorgeous but...
    Where's the second USB-C port?
    Why a measly 480p FaceTime camera?
    For that price, these two additions should have been a no brainer.

singularityReasonable907cnocbui
  • Reply 84 of 102
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    My next will likely be a Pro, so I hope they've got something to wow me form factor/design/overall-wise (Ill likely be buying the second iteration in 2017), but IMO they've lost their way on their offerings below Pro performance.

The Air sticks around with a year old, eclipsed processor line-up, an aging sub-1080p amount of pixel real estate, and they throw in RAM that likely costs them bupkus - and everything else is either commodity priced or otherwise fully amortized and keep the price the same?  And that's the '16 Air line? Friends who take my buying advice, but who aren't on Pro budget, have been waiting 6 months on my say so for a totable machine that's serious enough for video editing with a screen they can see it at Retina res while they work. 

And another year's passed and there isn't one below $2K (I'm assuming the new Pros WILL be far more totable than the current models). So I'm embarrassed to report back to them. 

And then there's this precious thing (think pink!) that has the great screen (if 12" is enough for you), but with a lower class processor that's not up to what you can get done on the Air, AND pricey for the portabiiity, so if you want to do real graphics work, you're gonna need to come up with pro shekels - which the people I've been advising to wait don't have.

So in this class (sub MBP), worst Apple refresh cycle ever.  Sez me.  And feeling like new watch band styles mean more to them than users in the MB/MBA class.

edited April 2016
  • Reply 85 of 102
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    bigpics said:
    My next will likely be a Pro, so I hope they've got something to wow me form factor/design/overall-wise (Ill likely be buying the second iteration in 2017), but IMO they've lost their way on their offerings below Pro performance.

The Air sticks around with a year old, eclipsed processor line-up, an aging sub-1080p amount of pixel real estate, and they throw in RAM that likely costs them bupkus - and everything else is either commodity priced or otherwise fully amortized and keep the price the same?  And that's the '16 Air line? Friends who take my buying advice, but who aren't on Pro budget, have been waiting 6 months on my say so for a totable machine that's serious enough for video editing with a screen they can see it at Retina res while they work. 

And another year's passed and there isn't one below $2K (I'm assuming the new Pros WILL be far more totable than the current models). So I'm embarrassed to report back to them. 

And then there's this precious thing (think pink!) that has the great screen (if 12" is enough for you), but with a lower class processor that's not up to what you can get done on the Air, AND pricey for the portabiiity, so if you want to do real graphics work, you're gonna need to come up with pro shekels - which the people I've been advising to wait don't have.

So in this class (sub MBP), worst Apple refresh cycle ever.  Sez me.  And feeling like new watch band styles mean more to them than users in the MB/MBA class.

The Macbook Air is the walking dead.... it was updated just to string out it's life until the components used in the Macbook 12 come down in price and they can build one with a reasonable margin for under $1,000.  It will NEVER see a refresh of anything more.  There will be 2 lines eventually again, the Macbook and the Macbook Pro.  The Macbook Pro will probably slim slightly and encompass a wider range... and we are yet to see if the major revision for the MBP is this year or next... my bet is this year since they are taking forever to update (which I consider a good sign).  

I am actually quite pleased with my Macbook... It is not my only machine but it can do everything I need to when I need to do it.  The reason why it would not be my primary machine is because I want a machine that can drive at least 3 external monitors (I have 4 now - down a few as they age and die).  My Mac Pro 2008 (8 core; 2 x ATI 5770 cards) can do.  Eventually I might get another desktop, but it would likely wait until they come out with a Mac Mini that can drive at least 3 external monitors and has as much power (CPU) as my Mac Pro 2008.. a quad-core Mac Mini with Skylake would probably be just right.  The Macbook can handle the power needs of 90% of users.   It will of course not handle some tasks well (professional level video editing being one), but it handles a lot very well.... I can get my software development work done now when I am traveling around.  

Most people have computer CPUs idling 80 - 90% of the time while it is being used.  The CPU has to be sufficient for the task, but it is not always the bottleneck.... for me the SSD improvements are much more important to me.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 86 of 102
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    bluefire1 said:
    Gorgeous but...

If Apple wanted this machine to have two USB ports they would have designed it that way to begin with.
    kpommacguibkkcanuck
  • Reply 87 of 102
    The lack of ports make this business unfriendly. Just like the first gen Macbook Air (which was later corrected). 

There needs to be a 2nd USB type C on the other side before I consider buying one or getting one for our company. 
    Also Apple could easily make a Power supply that has HDMI, mini-Displayport Thunderbolt out, classic USB Type A out as an upgrade option to the Macbook charger 
    but they haven't. It's this kind of decisions that drive me nuts regarding trying to keep the company Apple based from an IT standpoint. Consumers may not care as much, but from a personal consumer stand point this upgrade for the Macbook fails. 

We will be sticking to our Macbook Pros and the occasional Macbook Airs, honestly we need Apple to support nVidia cards. Too many of our artists are using visualization tools and graphics programs that need CUDA acceleration. Only  Adobe Premiere and After Effects and DaVinci Resolve uses OpenCL. Many of the programs we need to use on the Mac also need CUDA . That's a separate point from the Macbook which don't have a discreet graphics card. 
    cnocbui
  • Reply 88 of 102
    dig48109 said:
    The lack of ports make this business unfriendly. Just like the first gen Macbook Air (which was later corrected). 

There needs to be a 2nd USB type C on the other side before I consider buying one or getting one for our company. 
    Also Apple could easily make a Power supply that has HDMI, mini-Displayport Thunderbolt out, classic USB Type A out as an upgrade option to the Macbook charger 
    but they haven't. It's this kind of decisions that drive me nuts regarding trying to keep the company Apple based from an IT standpoint. Consumers may not care as much, but from a personal consumer stand point this upgrade for the Macbook fails. 

We will be sticking to our Macbook Pros and the occasional Macbook Airs, honestly we need Apple to support nVidia cards. Too many of our artists are using visualization tools and graphics programs that need CUDA acceleration. Only  Adobe Premiere and After Effects and DaVinci Resolve uses OpenCL. Many of the programs we need to use on the Mac also need CUDA . That's a separate point from the Macbook which don't have a discreet graphics card. 
    I disagree that they make them business unfriendly, they just are not made for your business usage...  your business sounds like you are primarily at one location or two at desks most of the time and thus your business needs are really are not an ultra-portable but a computer you can transport from maybe one or two locations and then just leave it there until returning to the other location.  Simply put, that is not the market that the Macbook is aimed at so looking for it to do something that it is not designed for would be foolish anyways.    The Macbook is aimed at a market where portability and being able to sling it on your shoulder and carry with it wherever you go - and it is light enough and small enough that you almost forget it is on your shoulder.  Basically it is small and non-obtrusive enough I could carry with it me all day without feeling weighed down and looking for the first chance to dump it at the location you travel to.  

It also has enough horsepower that it can serve the needs of many people who also don't fit in the target market but still want an ultra-portable which does not have much of a footprint.  It is a really good computer for people going to school, who have to carry it around all day.  

Not all computers have to aim for the same market to be considered a business friendly computer...  

Sorry your favourite computer is dead, but I expect the Macbook Pro lineup to take over the market that may suit your needs.
  • Reply 89 of 102
    bluefire1 said:
    Gorgeous but...

If Apple wanted this machine to have two USB ports they would have designed it that way to begin with.
    I don't really care what "Apple wanted," I'm paying Apple, not the other way around. What matters is what I, the consumer, wants. The one thing I've always been critical of Apple about, aside from the ridiculous Apple Tax, is the way they build things to what people SHOULD want, not what they ACTUALLY want. From low res cameras in the original iPhone to the way Steve refused to include MMS functionality until the 3GS because "people can email photos if they want to send them to others," delivering a product that offers consumers something they never knew they always wanted is a far cry from ignoring what they say they want and giving them the middle finger instead. Me? I want to be able to run a Time Machine backup to my external drive or upload photos from my DSLR AND charge my Macbook at the same time without having to spend 80 bucks on a dongle. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 90 of 102
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    jdw said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Just stop with the hyperventilating.  Sure, a 480p camera sucks.  But really?  That's your big complaint?  Go ahead, tell us why you NEED a better FaceTime camera.  Go ahead and look at what's available camera wise and then wave your magic wand to "make" it fit in the Book's incredibly thin chassis.  While you're at it, make sure you use your infinite technical wisdom to make sure that jamming such a camera in there doesn't come with performance trade offs.   A MB isn't powerful enough for me, so I'm not buying one.  But listening to you people complain about a consumer level machine not having bleeding edge specs is tiresome.  It's a hyper thin notebook made for portability and typical consumer applications.  You're not going to be using it for a 30 person video conference call while downloading a 50GB file and editing in Final Cut.   There is no pleasing you spec whores. 
    Now that's funny.  You just admit a 480p camera "sucks" and then you complain about my complaint that it sucks.  And then you ask me to tell you why I need something that doesn't suck.  And then you assume you know about every camera that's even a single pixel higher than 480p and preach to use that "they will never fit in a thin chassis."  

I am highly critical of Apple because I love Apple.  They have earned my love.  I praise them as much as criticize them. And I am glad you "the status quo sucks but its also great too" folks are not at Apple, otherwise nothing superb would ever get done.  Steve Jobs took a lot of flack for kicking engineers into gear, but he got the job done.  Although it MIGHT be possible that current tech still can't fit a 720p camera in a thin enclosure, I am not the most knowledgeable source on the subject, and neither are you folks.  But Apple is.  And to ASSUME the tech doesn't exist would be silly.  If the tech did not exist, Apple would probably have said that to defend themselves against the 480p outcry.  But Apple never said anything about that, meaning the tech probably does exist but they chose not to implement it.  So I complained in this forum, and I sent them Feedback too.  I would encourage others here who are like-minded to do the same.

It doesn't matter why I want a 720p or 1080p or even 4K camera, because none of you are me.  But for the price, I want 2016 tech in that machine.  I refuse to buy it unless certain criterion are met.  The current model meets almost those criterion EXCEPT for the camera, which is why I will wait another year to see if Gen-3 finally gets it right.

Don't defend the Status Quo.  Defend good tech.

Only at the end do you understand.  

Yes, a 480p camera sucks.  We're in agreement.  What I'm saying is that it's not a major issue.  If you want to continue your super secret double probation and not tell us why you "need" a higher resolution FaceTime camera, that's up to you.  But I get to think that the nebulous "I want 2016 tech" argument is hyperbolic nonsense.  

As for Apple and Jobs, I don't know what planet you live on.  Obviously you weren't on Earth when Apple was losing the MHZ wars, or when they under spec'd and overpriced the Cube, or when they missed the boat on CD-R/W back in the day.  You obviously didn't notice that in Job's prime, they NEVER were about having the latest specs on virtually ANY product.  More recently, the revolutionary original iPhone only had 2.5G cell service.  Now, THAT was a difference that actually mattered.  And you know what?  It still sold by the millions.  Apple knows that their products are more than the sum of their parts.  If a 480p FaceTime/front camera is a deal breaker for you, fine.  But you're going to get mocked in here for not telling anyone why.  Otherwise, you're just cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    edited April 2016 macgui
  • Reply 91 of 102
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    dig48109 said:

Apple clearly set out to design a Mac that addressed a specific customer, and set the parameters accordingly. As they have always done. Trying to make their design into something else is pointless. 

People seem to forget about the Macintosh Duo. I had two of them I liked them so much -- a 280c and 2300c. They required a dock for almost anything. They had One serial port which you could assign to be the printer or modem port. There was an OPTIONAL 14.4 modem RJ-11 Jack, and a dedicated power port. And that was it. No 3.5mm headphone jack, no wireless.

People bought it for its size and portability. For those who simply needed to work, and didn't need to input or export data constantly, it was the perfect Mac, with virtually full desktop capabilities when docked into one of several docking stations Apple offered. At a minimum, a road warrior could plug it into any Apple Talk network at any field office and transfer files, or directly into any Apple supporter printer and output a document. The optional modem made for slow, but easy to transmit faxes, or transfer files from anywhere with a phone line.

And that's exactly what the the rMB is. It's stripped down to the bare essentials, but offers the expandability if someone needs it. I think Apple will offer a second port, eventually, and I know where it's going to go, and so does Apple. And they will likely keep pushing the limits of this particular model to serve the customer who seeks out the ultimate portability regardless of the compromise, just like they've been doing since the introduction of the PowerBook Duo in the early 1990s.

And by the way, I would hate a wall charger that has ports built into it. That's such a PC line of thinking. If I need extra ports, then just like the Duo, I either buy a notebook that provides what I need, or I get the appropriate dock for my needs and live with the compromise. Either way, I'm not crawling around on the floor to plug in my peripherals.
    macgui
  • Reply 92 of 102
    mac_128 said:
    I think Apple will offer a second port, eventually, and I know where it's going to go, and so does Apple.

I doubt it....  More likely they expect (and going forward Apple will probably) at a desk you will likely use it with an Apple Monitor which will IMHO contain power to the wall and a place to plug your laptop into (one cable).  That cable running from the monitor to the laptop will power the laptop as well as have the display signals and the USB / Thunderbolt data....  The monitor will eventually act as your hub at home or work.  People on the road don't tend to have lots of peripherals to plug in and in the future you will buy them to match the computer (i.e. wireless).  

We are half-way there unfortunately which means in the mean time.... dongles if you have a monitor (i.e. the AV adapter).
  • Reply 93 of 102
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    sdw2001 said:

Young fool.  As for Apple and Jobs, I don't know what planet you live on.  Obviously you weren't on Earth when Apple was losing the MHZ wars, or when they under spec'd and overpriced the Cube, or when they missed the boat on CD-R/W back in the day.  You obviously didn't notice that in Job's prime, they NEVER were about having the latest specs on virtually ANY product.  More recently, the revolutionary original iPhone only had 2.5G cell service.  Now, THAT was a difference that actually mattered.  And you know what?  It still sold by the millions.  Apple knows that their products are more than the sum of their parts.  If a 480p FaceTime/front camera is a deal breaker for you, fine.  But you're going to get mocked in here for not telling anyone why.  Otherwise, you're just cutting off your nose to spite your face, and complaining on the internet like a 13 year old.  
    Tis true... I am a mere 45 years young and was only 13 when I first laid my hands upon the Macintosh 128k in early 1984.  I didn't have an external 400k drive either, making for some serious floppy-swapping fun.  If I am still a bit foolish and a bit hungry, I can only plead guilty for taking that advice from Steve Jobs himself.

My POINT was and still is that Steve Jobs, when he wanted to get something done, got it done.  The fact that he often skimped on RAM and modern tech in Apple products is not relevant to my point.  Jobs did not like to hear excuses from engineers about what could not be done.  When he was a stickler about something like creating a beautiful logic board that no one would ever see, he got his way.  People working under him would later call him names and say how vicious he could be, but what did those folks accomplish in their lives compared with Jobs?  If they did accomplish greatness it was because Jobs pushed them to the breaking point, to bring out their very best.  Some respected that while others were embittered, yet through it all the soul of Jobs remains at Apple.  Apple has created a significant amount of in-house tech because either no one else could make it or Apple could make it better (at least, they thought they could).  Don't have a thin enough part to put in this MacBook?  Let's make it rather than choose an off-the-shelf part.  They made a very unique battery for the MacBook, so I doubt a camera would be "impossible." 

Some people become discombobulated after reading my feelings on ancient 480p tech.  That's only because those people don't personally feel it to be a serious issue.  I merely disagree with that notion.  What is wrong with disagreement?  The camera bothers me quite a lot.  That fact it doesn't bother some of you will never convince me to be less bothered by it.  Thank God for human diversity of thought!  But from what I read, it bothers a noticeable number of other people, not just me.  Read reviews or watch YouTube videos about the MacBook and pretty much all of them mention the camera negatively.  So, in fact, people who don't think it much of an issue are probably in the minority.  I don't say this to slight anyone who disagrees with me.  It's just a noteworthy observation.

To conclude, my issue is with the TECH, not with people. Therefore, please have mercy on the good people in this forum, allowing myself and them to foam, vent and rave all they like, so long as the focus is on the tech.  I have no desire to attack others in the forum simply because of minor disagreements on our personal likes.  And having seen no evidence to prove otherwise, I still feel that if there was a WILL to put a better camera in the thin enclosure of the MacBook, there would have been a WAY.  The only way to know is to try.  And only Apple can do that.

Stay Hungry.  Stay Foolish.
    edited April 2016 RobJenk
  • Reply 94 of 102
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    bkkcanuck said:
    mac_128 said:
    I think Apple will offer a second port, eventually, and I know where it's going to go, and so does Apple.

I doubt it....  More likely they expect (and going forward Apple will probably) at a desk you will likely use it with an Apple Monitor which will IMHO contain power to the wall and a place to plug your laptop into (one cable).  That cable running from the monitor to the laptop will power the laptop as well as have the display signals and the USB / Thunderbolt data....  The monitor will eventually act as your hub at home or work.  People on the road don't tend to have lots of peripherals to plug in and in the future you will buy them to match the computer (i.e. wireless).  

We are half-way there unfortunately which means in the mean time.... dongles if you have a monitor (i.e. the AV adapter).
    There's already a second port -- a 3.5mm headphone jack. The second port won't likely be USB-C. It will be Lightning 2, to support Apple's Lightning earbuds they package with the next iPhone, assuming it drops the 3.5mm Jack as rumored. And Lightning 2 provides at least USB 3 speeds, if not greater. So by natively accommodating the Lightning headphones, Apple gives the Mac a new data port that can be also be used for charging, and many desktop peripherals via a dongle if needed, while leaving the USB-C completely free for other things.
  • Reply 95 of 102
    "mac_128" - Now your being silly, changing the understanding of what is being said to make an argument.  First you state "I think Apple will offer a second port, eventually, and I know where it's going to go, and so does Apple." then say there is already one in your next point.  The understanding is we are talking about USB-C ports, and changing the definition of what we are talking is facetious.  I doubt they will actually drop the 3.5mm earphone plug in the next set of phones -- unless they figure out how to dual purpose the lightning port as analog.  Not saying it won't happen in the future, but not likely in the next series.
  • Reply 96 of 102
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Where's my ethernet port?  This is a computer for noobs.
  • Reply 97 of 102
    wozwoz said:
    Where's my ethernet port?  This is a computer for noobs.
    There is only ONE laptop with an ethernet port - the obsolete (non-retina) Macbook Pro....  so I guess that is the computer that best suits you if that is the most important thing for you :smile: 

• Reply 98 of 102
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Some Apple employees have said Jobs got them to do the best work they ever did. So far none have said Jobs got them to do what wasn't possible at the time. i.e. that which was actually impossible, merely that which they didn't realize they were capable of. Those are not the same things.

There is significant anecdotal evidence that Jobs had to be talked out of design parameters because they were not possible or the compromises were where wholly undesirable.

So far, no one has shown the comparison of the MacBook's 480p camera to any 720p camera, though a couple of posters who likely aren't Apple engineers say suitable camera currently exists. They don't offer any substantiation to their claim.

Maybe they are correct, maybe they aren't. Clearly Jonny Ive could have got a 720p camera in the MacBook, if he or Tim Cook felt it important enough. At what compromise in design, and why?

Until someone can demonstrate otherwise, I believe Apple knew a higher resolution camera would not fit in the space allowed for a Face Time camera. I also believe that Tim Cook and Jonny Ive did not want a bump on the top of the MacBook's lid, they're thinking being that it's not necessary to mar the exquisite design with a bump so prominently located.

They chose to make a bump on the iPhone 6 lineup because-- why? I believe they felt it's the only way without making the entire phone thicker, most phones will be in a case, and most users will adjust. I believe they felt it was, in balance, worth the bump, as elegant as they could make it, to get a superior camera into a/the phone. At some point when technology allows someone to build a smaller camera meeting their standards, the bump will go away. It just wasn't worth delaying the phone until that time. Almost every new phone seems to have a bump or is markedly thicker than the iPhone 6. So the bump could be with us for awhile, or gone the instant Apple finds or builds the right camera.

There is as yet no such mandate for the 12" MacBook. If there was, there would be a 720p camera in it, and a bump, unless Apple wanted to make the lid thicker. They didn't. Lacking any evidence to the contrary, I conclude they did explore the possibility of including such a camera and found it is not possible in the current MacBook without compromising some design parameter(s) set by Ive and supported by Cook.

Only Apple knows if I'm right or not. Only Apple knows why they didn't do what some people find so absolutely necessary. 
  • Reply 99 of 102
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    This is a nice looking computer, but it's painful slow ! The front facing camera is a joke if you use it for professional videoconferencing - yes, we use that in business ! I hope Apple does a better job when they release the new Macbook Pro's ! 
  • Reply 100 of 102
    ben20 said:
    This is a nice looking computer, but it's painful slow ! The front facing camera is a joke if you use it for professional videoconferencing - yes, we use that in business ! I hope Apple does a better job when they release the new Macbook Pro's ! 
    I don't use the front facing camera for selfies, nor for professional videoconferencing.... just Skyping with family, friends and work....  and although it is not the best (nor are the international lines out of SE Asia) -- it is good enough for me.  

Curious, you say it is "painfully slow".... what have you personally used it for that was "painfully slow"?  It is definitely not beefy, but for most tasks it is fine (i.e. Oracle under VMWare/Linux, Mail, coding, browsing, watching videos).  The original Macbook Air was painfully slow.... (6+ times slower at least), my Mac Mini 2009 which I bought for "server" functions is slow (probably almost as slow as the Mac Air... definitely slower than my Mac Pro 2008 (8 core) (less than half the speed) but then database functions because of limitations in raw data bandwidth from the SSD/Hard drives.

So what did you personally use the Macbook for that was "painfully slow"?