AppleInsider podcast talks new Macs, 'iPhone 7' rumors, and the latest 'Apple Car' hires

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2016
This week on the Appleinsider podcast, Shane and Victor discuss new MacBooks, the computers that didn't get updated, Tesla's former VP of vehicle engineering working for Apple, Apple's car skunkworks, iPhone 7 rumors, and a few of our thoughts remembering Bill Campbell.

AppleInsider editors Shane Cole and Victor Marks chat about:

• New 12" MacBook and RAM bump for 13" MacBook Air
  • Macs that weren't updated
  • Apple picks up Tesla's former VP of Vehicle Engineering for 'special projects'
  • Qualcomm's CEO implies that Apple might change modem suppliers for 'iPhone 7'
  • Apple appears to have a group working on car projects in Berlin
  • Remembering Bill Campbell

The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

The show is also available on Stitcher Radio.

Show note links:

Follow our hosts on Twitter: @shanecole_ and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I do wish AI and other blogs would cease placing images of the Car.  Given no one knows if it even exists let alone looks like, why use stock images that will be taken as fact by half the population?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I do wish AI and other blogs would cease placing images of the Car.  Given no one knows if it even exists let alone looks like, why use stock images that will be taken as fact by half the population?

That is a picture of a BMW i3....
    billreyvmarkslolliver
  • Reply 3 of 12
    billreybillrey Posts: 14member
    Oh no, another podcast with Shane Cole, with his stupid remarks on Tesla and the Apple car. You have a smart host, Mikey, and all Shane does is bully him, troll him without any factual or sensible arguments.
    edited April 2016 lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 12
    billreybillrey Posts: 14member
    Shane's arguments against the Apple car are the exact same things people used to say about the prospect of an Apple phone pre-2007. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 12
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    You're absolutely right.

This episode, we mentioned BMW, Apple's past rumored history of trying to work with BMW on their electric car platform, and Apple's offices in Berlin working on the car. That's why it felt appropriate to use the BMW i3 image.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 12

billrey said:
    Oh no, another podcast with idiot Shane Cole, with his stupid remarks on Tesla and the Apple car. You have a smart host, Mikey, and all Shane does is bully him, troll him without any factual or sensible arguments. Really hard to listen to such a stupid man as Shane Stupid Cole.
    OK, you don't like Shane. Got it. 

But Shane didn't bully Mikey this episode. I can't decide if you think I'm smart and you're calling me Mikey, or you're suggesting that Mikey's smart, he should be on and Shane still shouldn't bully him.

(TBH, I didn't _feel_ bullied...)
  • Reply 7 of 12
    billrey said:
    Shane's arguments against the Apple car are the exact same things people used to say about the prospect of an Apple phone pre-2007. 
    You note that I disagree with him, and how he's going to have to eat his hat when Apple does actually release a vehicle.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Why do cars have door computers? 
    one reason.
    Weight reduction. 

• Reply 9 of 12
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    One of those guys is an idiot.  Yes, he is right about the problems Tesla is having with quality and how inexcusable that is on a $90,000 car.  But being against software updates for a car?  Tesla really is a winner here, adding amazing new features to cars remotely including improving the performance of existing cars.  If I had a car that started at 0-60 in 5 seconds and it improved to 4 seconds with a software update I would be quite happy.  And adding a feature to 'summon' the car from a garage automatically?  AMAZING!
    lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 12

That is a picture of a BMW i3....
    and how does that distract from my point that every article relating to an Car had an image of something and half the population have an IQ <100?
  • Reply 11 of 12

vmarks said:
    You're absolutely right.

This episode, we mentioned BMW, Apple's past rumored history of trying to work with BMW on their electric car platform, and Apple's offices in Berlin working on the car. That's why it felt appropriate to use the BMW i3 image.
    See above comment.  :) 
  • Reply 12 of 12

vmarks said:
    You're absolutely right.

See above comment.  :) 
    Your comment was almost unrelated to your original complaint. None of our readers is mistaking an i3 for an Apple car. (Our readers are very astute.)

But let's entertain the idea that you're right - what should we use instead of the BMW that we named in the episode? What's the correct image that's going to work for people who would otherwise make incorrect assumptions?
    lolliver