Apple won't sacrifice profit margins to make iPhone SE affordable in India

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,263member
    There is a complete lack of clarity in this article and a lot of ignorant ranting in the comments.  If it retails in India for $586, a proper article would have calculated how much of that RRP is made up of tax and import duty before working out if there is a different selling point for the SE in India compared with other countries.  Otherwise this is very uninformative, and the headline might not even be true.  It could even be the opposite.

This same kind of thing happens in my country because people are always comparing the headline US price, which doesn't include the applicable sales tax (at leas this article accounts for those, for once), with the Australian retail price, which includes GST.  Annoying.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 22 of 25
    sog35 said:
    I never thought this phone was for India. I always thought this phone was for holdouts in western markets that didn't get a 6 or 6S because of the size. Off course the $399 price point was a bit of a surprise but if Apple is planning to sell it for almost $600 in India it will be a non-starter there. Unless they're also planning to continue selling the iPhone 5S there as well?
    $586 is alot for India. But is much cheaper than $1000 which new iPhone models were going for in the past.

I think we will see a big jump in iPhone share in India the next 2 years.
    I disagree. The iphone 6 is cheaper price in india than the SE. This is not so smart as the Indian consumers who can afford the iphone probably have access to Internet therefor knows that it should be less expensive not more. I'm unsure why apple did this as they don't have a presence in india and without a cheaper phone they probably won't get one anytime soon.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    @apple ][ - You can keep wringing your hands. But when every other smartphone company out there can price their handsets at or near the US cost, apple's failure to do so is really glaring. Also, Apple is able to manage that to some extent with ipads and the iphone 5s, but not the iphone 5se? that is again glaring problem for them. 

@palladium - BTW, what you think apple need or don't need, has nothing to do with what apple thinks. They have been increasing their focus on india of late, just haven't jumped in the full hog because of some ownership/FDI rules which were recently changed to suit companies like apple. Tim Cook keeps coming over to meet the indian prime minister regularly. Thankfully, we don't care two hoots about what YOU think.

And BTW, the pricing has nothing to do with import taxes. Their prices are far more reasonable on the other stuff they sell (like ipads and iphone 5s). 
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Latest Apple iPhone SE 20,000rupee & Samsung s7 Edge 30,000rupee Brand new Original Apple iphone 6s plus 64gb rose Gold with 1year warranty. Whatsapp CHAT or Call : +254703285513 Skype: faisa.hassan102