KGI says 'iPhone 7' won't have 'many attractive selling points,' predicts competitors to outperform

Comments

• Reply 81 of 153
    Get a clue Cash. WE DON'T WANT YOU HERE.
    Wait, does he keep getting banned and creating new accounts?

Seems that way. And for some weird reason, he wants us to know it's him.
  • Reply 82 of 153
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    This research note is so laughable. Outside of camera improvements what are others doing that are so mind blowing? 'Wireless' charging? I'm sorry but I don't think someone is not going to buy an iPhone because it doesn't have wireless charging.doesn't really provide any examples but all the humour sites take his notes as gospel. No doubt the stock will open down tomorrow because of this. 
    Corrected.
  • Reply 83 of 153
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    tommikele said:
    Kuo is "noted" by whom, exactly? AI and MR keep saying that, but you never explain where this adoration supposedly comes from -- other than from yourselves, of course. 

he claims iPhone needs better specs to keep selling? what a load of nonsense. I can't believe even AI doesn't understand why that notion is so wrong-headed. 

even if iphone does experience decline in sales, that insanely high number will still blow away all others, and suck up all industry profit. as usual.
    I can't comment on his record as a predictor of financial results and sales figures, but he has a record as being the most accurate predictor on forthcoming Apple products. Compared to the analyst community in general, the guy is a genius in terms of knowing what is coming, product features and components. He seems to have the best sources of anyone in the Asian factories and is able to pry pretty good information out of them. This "adoration" (your term, not anyone else's) is wide spread and has been earned in the areas I mentioned. You sound pissed because you don't like what he is saying. What if he just happens to be right about iPhone 7 and then iPhone 7s/8? He is among many analysts who seem to think Apple will show a year over year decline for their flagship model and there is solid explanation behind that conclusion. I hope it's wrong, but a lot of signs point to it. The idea that a very significant revamp is needed to maintain market position and sales growth has a lot credibility to it. He isn't predicting doom, disaster or any other of the moronic things some of those tools seem to say. He is just calling it as he sees it and he has had better vision than most over the last few years. Try being a little less emotional about it and understand it is business, strictly business and he and others are calling it as they see it.
    I doubt he pried the information out of the source and he probably paid for it.

The source can be someone in Foxconn or one of the many suppliers and I believe it is the one making the casing.

Btw he isn't predicting when he has the information but then he throws in a couple of miscalls so everyone will think he is just guessing wrong in some cases.
  • Reply 84 of 153
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    qwwera said:
    The 6 series is a very old fashioned and not very attractive design. It's merely a blown-up iPhone, whereas everyone else move to oled and more compact modern designs years ago. If it wasn't for iOS, I would have bought a Note 5.
    im good with my 5s and SE, I'm waiting out the 6&7 and looking forward to a modern iPhone in next years model
    So you're saying a Note 5 is more compact than an iPhone? Weird logic.
    Yeah. Because it's true. The note 5 has a bigger screen and is still smaller than the iPhone 6 Plus.
  • Reply 85 of 153
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    domino67 said:
    "How could it possibly be more compact?".......perhaps you should look at other phones out there.
    Such as? You want Apple to make their iPhone out of monomolecular wire or something?
    Such as the S7 Edge vs the iPhone 6s Plus.  They have the same size screen, but that is where the form factor similarities end:

edited April 2016 6Sgoldfishgatorguy
  • Reply 86 of 153
    bluefire1 said:
    If you guys saw the Galaxy 7 Edge, you'll know why the iPhone 7 had better not be a minimal upgrade. 
    I saw the Galaxy 6 Edge. What's the difference with the 7?
    The 7 is taller, wider, thicker and heavier.  5.5" screen vs 5.1"
    qwwera
  • Reply 87 of 153
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Kuo is "noted" by whom, exactly? AI and MR keep saying that, but you never explain where this adoration supposedly comes from -- other than from yourselves, of course. 

he claims iPhone needs better specs to keep selling? what a load of nonsense. I can't believe even AI doesn't understand why that notion is so wrong-headed. 

even if iphone does experience decline in sales, that insanely high number will still blow away all others, and suck up all industry profit. as usual.
    This research note is so laughable. Outside of camera improvements what are others doing that are so mind blowing? 'Wireless' charging? I'm sorry but I don't think someone is not going to buy an iPhone because it doesn't have wireless charging.doesn't really provide any examples but all the rumor sites take his notes as gospel. No doubt the stock will open down tomorrow because of this. 
    Let's see... what's left to improve?
    - Screen? Larger? No. OLED? Yuck. Maybe at some future point they can squeeze a 4K/8K screen into it for no real improvement.
    - Speakers? When was the last time the sound out of a small device sounded good? 1980's are calling.
    - Charging? There is room to improve the speed of charging. I think anyone would want their device to charge in less than 60 seconds, wireless charging is a step backwards.
    - Removal of headphone jack? Step backwards. Apple would be better off putting two lightning jacks on the iPhone/iPod/iPad
    - Wireless headset/earbuds? Don't make me laugh. The batterylife and charging of all bluetooth devices are already rubbish
    - Camera, short of Apple making a DSLR body for an iPhone/iPod, Apple could stuff a 1Gpixel camera in the phone and the pictures will be no better than an 8Mpixel camera owing to the sensor noise and compression wasting that extra resolution. What would be cool is Apple coming out with a lightfield camera body for the iPhone so that you could take infinitely refocusable photo or video (even 3D), but this isn't a direction I see Apple innovating in as they don't make their own camera CMOS/CCD sensors.
    - Battery life, not likely unless weight/thickness is brought back. Even a "wireless charging" option would add weight because of the induction charger would have to be built into the battery. The only room for improvement here is for the battery to become removable so that it can be hot-swapped.
    - Storage Memory life/capacity: NAND memory only lasts 3 years under heavy use. Some future storage material will allow for higher durability and larger capacity, but we've actually hit the ceiling since die-shrinks of NAND reduces durability, and TLC over MLC/SLC has reduced durability that degrades faster at smaller die sizes. A new technology might also use less power
    - Memory - LPDDR4 sometime soon
    - CPU/GPU - There's still at least one die-shrink left before no additional improvement can be made through shrinks, and as seen with Intel moving away from tick-tock cycles, this means we will soon hit a plateau where all software will be forced to take advantage of multi-cores to get further improvements. So past 2018 you might see a quad-core CPU in the iPhone, but only after some "killer app" actually demonstrates how to properly use it. Nearly all software written since 1983, and is still written today still has no idea how to use multiple cores, and often use wasteful frameworks and libraries because they can, all in the main thread. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 88 of 153
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    tzeshan said:
    The author of this article is trying to fool us.  Why no sales number prediction for number one Samsung?  There are numbers for all other four companies.  

Actually he has numbers for Samsung of 320 million.

Which also shows what a complete idiot (or liar) he is. Surely he must be aware that the ASP for Samsung is in the low $200 range, meaning the majority of their sales are sub $200 (or even $100)  devices. Yet he has no trouble putting up that 320 million number beside Apple as if they are somehow comparable.

Next he'll be telling us Toyota is selling more cars than Mercedes.
    Indeed, Toyota is selling more cars than Mercedes
  • Reply 89 of 153
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Kuo is close, but the real reasons the iPhone 7 will not do well are: no 34" curved OLED display, no paddle shifters, no fuel cells, no time-dilation field generator...
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 90 of 153
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    cnocbui said:
    Such as? You want Apple to make their iPhone out of monomolecular wire or something?
    Such as the S7 Edge vs the iPhone 6s Plus.  They have the same size screen, but that is where the form factor similarities end:

I've never really understood the edge to edge fad. It makes the phone awkward to hold with your fingers obscuring the content on the screen or accidently triggering events of the User Interface.

The edge is not an aesthetic thing, it does have a well defined function.

>:x
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 91 of 153
    Wasn't Kuo just saying last month "in a note to investors" that the SE was not selling well?  Oops.
    Oops indeed, but idiots will continue listening to him. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 92 of 153
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    A killer feature for me would be the removal of the sim card tray. Now is the time for Apple to disrupt the business model of the mobile operators.

>:x
  • Reply 93 of 153
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    bluefire1 said:
    If you guys saw the Galaxy 7 Edge, you'll know why the iPhone 7 had better not be a minimal upgrade. 
    What were the huge, earth-shattering upgrades the S7 introduced that that S6 lacked? Was was introduced in the S7 that was totally new and unheard of in any other phone previous to its release?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 94 of 153
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    I am an iPhone guy from the first iPhone forward. I think I had about 4 or 5 different models so far, currently with iPhone 6s. If Apple is just going to update CPU and Camera again and add some new OS X features/apps that nobody uses then I am going to seriously thing about going for Samsung. I have looked at Samsung Galaxy phones at my friends for years and they were far behind iPhone. But now have seen the latest Galaxy I must admit it's not crap and it's even better then iPhone. Here's where I think it tops iPhone 6s:

- It's waterproof!! This is about the best thing you can have with the phone. I had to throw away two iPhones because sweat and snow destroyed them!
    - Display. Not looking at any specs, just seems much nicer when looking at it.
    - Camera is better
    - Charging is much faster, nice feature to have...

Apple should step up with this.

edited April 2016 cnocbuiqwwera
  • Reply 95 of 153
    supadav03 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    What were the huge, earth-shattering upgrades the S7 introduced that that S6 lacked? Was was introduced in the S7 that was totally new and unheard of in any other phone previous to its release?
    It was thicker to allow for longer battery life via a much bigger battery.  That would be earth-shattering and unheard of in the context of iPhones.
  • Reply 96 of 153
    What's attractive? Another fashion gizmo feature? Time to come back to senses. Thi is communication device - not "doing all things mojo".
  • Reply 97 of 153
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    supadav03 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Nothing. At least nothing that wouldn't be called incremental if it was done by Apple.

Obviously everyone would love a iPhone that had the same size screen yet was smaller overall. But replacing the home button is not a trivial matter. All the people that complain about the screen to bezel ratio seem to forget this fact or think it's something Apple can easily do and should have done already (with nothing to support this argument).
    nolamacguysupadav03patchythepirate
  • Reply 98 of 153
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    So you're basically saying there's nothing that would be exciting anymore yet Cook needs to walk on water at WWDC or Aple is doomed....ok.
    I'm saying that there had better be something special lined up for WWDC if anyone expects the recent slide in sales, as well as the less than stellar performance of AAPL in the last year, to change. Good isn't good enough anymore, time to shake things up. Steve became legend doing just that, now the ball is in Tim's court. Sorry for expecting better but as a decades long Apple consumer, as well as AAPL stockholder, I've got plenty of hay in the game. 
    And enough with the "Apple is doomed" jibe. It's tired and annoying. Get some new material Rog. 
    you know what's also tired? the bogus meme that Jobs came up with everything. he was the first to say (on stage) that that isn't how it works. 

so so when you get over the troll material well stop saying DOOOOOMED. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 99 of 153
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

Jesus if you need more ports get a frigging MacBook Pro. Not difficult.
    What if he needs something lighter than a Pro, Rog?
    what if he wants wings?

get real. you can pick powerful and versatile, or light and ultraportable, or the Air which is in between. or buy something from someone else if you think there's better. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 100 of 153
    lewklewk Posts: 25member
    This article reads like a press release from KGI Securities. I wish AI would stop publishing BS like this just because it is about Apple.