First look: Apple's new rose gold 12" MacBook with Intel Skylake CPU

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    pentae said:
    Terrible - They could have squeezed a usb-c on each side to make the machine far more usable. Why hasn’t the 13” MBA upgrade in this same form factor with a retina display come out already? Quit fucking us around Apple - millions of us are waiting to make the upgrade.

The MacBook Air won't be substantially redesigned or reengineered. 

It will be dropped from the lineup as soon as the MacBook can be sold at under $1,000. 
  • Reply 42 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    rols said:
    phirenze said:
    When the eff are they going to update the MBPs?  Seriously it's been years and this thing get updated after a year. I don't get it.
    Be careful what you wish for. I like my macbook pro with its two USB-A ports which get lots of use. I really don't want to see those become one or even two USB-C ports so the thing can just be made thinner. Don't mind them updating the pro, as long as it stays pro and comes with lots of different sized holes to stick things into. 
    Apple may have changed since Jobs came back to Apple almost 20 years ago now, but probably not.

When they released the FireWire PowerBook G3, all the legacy ports were dropped. ADB, Serial, and SCSI. And that was likely the best laptop I've ever had, despite the fact I had to buy adapters for my legacy equipment. While I expect the Pro will still offer lots of connection options, I don't see them keeping all of the legacy ports. The fact they took away Ethernet from even the 15" MacBook and still had the balls to call it "Pro" says it all.

jdw said:
    mac_128 said:

I had a Powerbook duo which was one of the most popular mobile laptops of the time, and it had one single standard data port without a dock. It wasn't for everybody.
    And the success of that excellent Duo product was its small size (which is true of the MacBook) AND the Dock.  That's why Apple needs to add TB3 to all its portables so that they can be attached to a powerful dock which has multiple-GPUs and perhaps even secondary CPUs.  Imagine carrying around a notebook almost as light as an iPad but then return home and dock that machine, transforming it into a Mac Pro.  Apple doesn't like that concept because they want to sell you multiple devices.  But we the consumer would love to have a single device that can be expanded into a super powerhouse.  Perhaps we'll get TB3 eventually, but for now its still the waiting game.
    While I agree with you, I didn't realize the rMB CPU actually didn't support TB3, which is something that's likely to change in another year, with next gen low power processors. While the success of the Duo in a lot of ways was the full-sized dock which offered NuBus expandability, and co-processors, I'd argue the Duo enjoyed a substantial life as a limited expandable choice on par with what the rMB currently offers. Many business travelers didn't even need the expandability of a dock, just the ability to plug into an Apple Talk network. A micro, or mini dock was all that was needed to gain larger external monitor options, and SCSI hard drive options. NuBus expansion and co-processor access weren't likely priorities for even the majority of Duo users.

For customers who wanted a more capable MacBook, they had to settle for larger models, some of which were less expensive than the Duo, just like the MBA. I do see a lot of similarities actually between Apple's early 90s offerings and the current MacBooks. And like that time, the MacBook is riding a wave of popularity in general over other laptops offerings. Then Apple went off the rails. Hopefully that's not ahead of us now. 

I do do understand the frustration with Apple's current strategy. Releasing a Mac with only one port has been my biggest complaint. If Apple removes the headphone jack from the iPhone, then I expect to finally get a second port on the rMB, even if it's Lightning, and probably a price drop along with it. And by next year, likely a CPU capable of supporting TB3. They might even discontinue the Air at that time and continue offering the current rMB at the old Air price, with the distinction that the current model isn't as capable, or as expandable -- a choice just like customers had with the original Duo.

jdw
  • Reply 43 of 49
    asterionasterion Posts: 112member
    phirenze said:
    When the eff are they going to update the MBPs?  Seriously it's been years and this thing get updated after a year. I don't get it.
    Me too. I'm after a new MBP, but holding off for the next update. Soon, I hope...
  • Reply 44 of 49
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    staticx57 said:
    sflocal said:
    My understanding is that Intel has not released TB3 chips.  It's not Apple holding it up.  Is that the case?  
    There are notebooks out there already with Thunderbolt 3. Have been for months.
    Do they have logic boards as small as the MacBook?  Someone mentioned in another thread that they would have to add another controller to the board and that there may not be room.  I don't know if it would effect the thermal requirements or not.  This is an incremental update, not a redesign after one year.   The fact that Apple has not made any major publicity around this supports this as well. 
  • Reply 45 of 49
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    toddzrx said:
    mr o said:

I realise I might be the only one, but I really like the dongle idea. It would make the 2016 Macbook Pro future-proof and super-customised: 

1. Future-proof: You'd always have the latest ports without having to buy a new laptop. Just get a new dongle.
    2. Super-customised: Transform your laptop into a photography or video hub by using a dedicated video or photography dongle.

Having said that, the Macbook Pro should come with two USB-C ports.
    Your post is confusing: are you talking about an upcoming Pro, or this MacBook?

At any rate, "future-proofing" is a myth.  There will always be new capabilities that get added to computers as time goes on and technology improves.  It's why we have technology companies like Apple in the first place.
    Haha, true, my mind is already at the 12 inch Macbook Pro :smiley: 

With future-proof I mean the ports. Of course the processor and graphic card gets better over time. What's great with the dongle concept is that you'll always have the latest ports that are a perfect fit to your needs.

>:x
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 46 of 49
    Marvin said:
    appex said:
    Single USB port is a deal breaker. Bring Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Type C Generation 2 and SDXC with maximum speed (300 MB/s) read/write speed.
    The single port is a limitation but there are options like the following:

http://www.amazon.com/HT-UC001-Shuttle-Delivery-MacBook-ChromeBook/dp/B019R9ILTG

Marvin, I just wanted to say that your posts are always insightful and informative. Thanks for all the info!

patchythepirate
  • Reply 47 of 49
    I bought the previous model and I love everything about it except one.  The new keyboard. I'm a pretty fast touch typist and I just can't type fast on this thing without making a bunch of mistakes. It's almost like typing on nothing. 

The size, weight, speed, battery life, even the one port are no problems for me, but after almost a year, I still can't get used to the new keyboard. Maybe if you are a "hunt and peck" type typist it won't be a problem. If they update the Macbook Pros and retain the old keyboard, I will seriously think about going back to the Pros.

Do you have any idea how the keyboard compares to the Smart Keyboard available for the iPad Pro, or the new Wireless Keyboard for the iMacs? I don't find much of an issue with either of them, but I just wanted to know if the MacBook Keyboard is more-or-less the same.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I bought the previous model and I love everything about it except one.  The new keyboard. I'm a pretty fast touch typist and I just can't type fast on this thing without making a bunch of mistakes. It's almost like typing on nothing. 

The size, weight, speed, battery life, even the one port are no problems for me, but after almost a year, I still can't get used to the new keyboard. Maybe if you are a "hunt and peck" type typist it won't be a problem. If they update the Macbook Pros and retain the old keyboard, I will seriously think about going back to the Pros.
    See I'm the opposite with the new keyboard. I think that's the best part about it. I can type way faster and without skipping letters all the time because I didn't mash my fingers in hard enough. 
    iosenthusiast
  • Reply 49 of 49
    eumaeuseumaeus Posts: 11member
    cpsro said:
    Somebody has a lot of money to waste.
    Sorry, it just comes across as an unnecessary purchase.
    I looked at the MacBook and thought "Perfect, an ultra-portable with a great screen that will be ideal for my needs." And I've been delighted with it.

But now I read that I wasted my money on something unnecessary. I am sad, and would like to be saved from my own faulty judgement.

Could you post a comprehensive list of allowable, necessary purchases so I don't fall into error again?

(I would post a lengthy description of my professional work, the circumstances under which I work, and the other computers that I use, but evidently you don't need to know any of that stuff.)