KGI says 'iPhone 7' won't have 'many attractive selling points,' predicts competitors to outperform

Comments

• Reply 101 of 153
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    Such as? You want Apple to make their iPhone out of monomolecular wire or something?
    Such as the S7 Edge vs the iPhone 6s Plus.  They have the same size screen, but that is where the form factor similarities end:

Nice job posting a misleading photo.

Funny how you choose a photo that has the 6s+ closer to the camera.

The truth is the iPhone6s is a mere 1/4 of an inch taller, less than 1/4 of an inch wider, and slightly thinner than the S7.

Stop making such a big deal about 1/4 of an inch.
    Sog, you know as well as most of us that 1/4" makes a big difference in the hand-fit. I think you yourself had commented in the past about the difference in "feel" between the iPhone 5 and 6 series. I doubt anyone will complain when the iPhone 8 shell shrinks but maintains the same screen size. You're minimizing the attractiveness of a physically smaller handheld device with a phablet screen. Apple will do well with an iPhone that mimics the edge-to-edge design of the Sam7, don't you think? I thought Apple was reported to be looking at disposing of the home button just for that reason, reduce shell size. 

EDIT: Use this site to get a real-life side-by-side size comparison between the iPhone 6+ and "other" phones. 
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Apple-iPhone-6-Plus_id8908/size
    edited April 2016 airnerd
  • Reply 102 of 153
    horvatichorvatic Posts: 144member
    A lot of non-sense from a bunch of nobody's that no nothing about Apple or its products. They just feed the stock frenzy to make it turn down even farther with no facts to back it up with.
  • Reply 103 of 153
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    Nice job posting a misleading photo.

The truth is the iPhone6s is a mere 1/4 of an inch taller, less than 1/4 of an inch wider, and slightly thinner than the S7.

Stop making such a big deal about 1/4 of an inch.
    Sog, you know as well as most of us that 1/4" makes a big difference in the hand-fit. I think you yourself had commented in the past about the difference in "feel" between the iPhone 5 and 6 series. I doubt anyone will complain when the iPhone 8 shell shrinks but maintains the same screen size. You're minimizing the attractiveness of a physically smaller handheld device with a phablet screen. Apple will do well with an iPhone that mimics the edge-to-edge design of the Sam7, don't you think? I thought Apple was reported to be looking at disposing of the home button just for that reason, reduce shell size. 
    Decreasing device size is fine. But not if you are sacrificing other things. 

The S7 Edge has a distorted screen on both edges that sucks IMO. That's where you save most of the screen width. To me I'd rather have a slightly wider device than a distorted screen that has THREE angles of possible glare.

The S7 Edge is shorter because its home button is thinner. But I'd rather have the slightly taller iPhone with a much better TouchID hardware.

If Apple can make the device smaller WITHOUT SACRIFICING usability I'm 100% happy with that! 
    But IMO the S7 Edge makes sacrifices I would not be happy with (distorted screen, more screen glare, sub-par Fingerprint scanner) to achive slightly smaller footprint. That is not a good trade off to me.
    All those things may or may not be true, but you were arguing that 1/4" difference in height and/or width makes little difference. I think it does and most smartphone users (probably you included) would at least begrudgingly agree. 
    edited April 2016 qwwera
  • Reply 104 of 153
    ac1234ac1234 Posts: 138member
    proline said:
    mj web said:
    You don't need an analyst. Based on my own observations, I've been questioning what Ive and Cook have been up to recently? Rose gold products, a bland looking watch that requires an iPhone to use, Beats, the contorted non 4K Apple TV? Hell, I may cop a Skylake MBP soon, but the only thing I've seen fit to purchase from Apple lately is a .99 cent a month iCloud upgrade and one Prince song. This isn't Steve Jobs' Apple, and by any impartial measure, Cook and Jony simply aren't cutting it. They are the parties responsible for AAPL stock tanking.
    You're damn right about that. Steve Jobs' Apple wasted six years between the iPod and iPhone which they filled with "Flower Power" and "Blue Dalmatian" iMacs.
    /s ya think?  Steve & team DELIVERED the iPod AND the iPhone AND ...

Tim Cook and his worn out team have delivered no game changers and a number of half baked launches with little traction to date - none of which are moving the stock needle.
    roger wade
  • Reply 105 of 153
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

The S7 Edge has a distorted screen on both edges that sucks IMO. That's where you save most of the screen width. To me I'd rather have a slightly wider device than a distorted screen that has THREE angles of possible glare.

The S7 Edge is shorter because its home button is thinner. But I'd rather have the slightly taller iPhone with a much better TouchID hardware.

If Apple can make the device smaller WITHOUT SACRIFICING usability I'm 100% happy with that! 
    But IMO the S7 Edge makes sacrifices I would not be happy with (distorted screen, more screen glare, sub-par Fingerprint scanner) to achive slightly smaller footprint. That is not a good trade off to me.
    All those things may or may not be true, but you were arguing that 1/4" difference in height and/or width makes little difference. I think it does and most smartphone users (probably you included) would at least begrudgingly agree. 
    Those things I mentioned ARE TRUE.

Sorry I'll take the 1/4 inch taller and wider phone than have those negatives.
    Ok, all that stuff and yada, yada. . .  

But I replied to what you had actually said to begin with before you took the sideroad:

"Nice job posting a misleading photo.
      Stop making such a big deal about 1/4 of an inch."

IMHO a 1/4" is a big deal when we're talking already large phones. I'll guess you actually agree if you're being honest. Based on recent rumors of upcoming Apple design changes they do too. 
    edited April 2016 crowley
  • Reply 106 of 153
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    robbyx said:
    Kuo is "noted" by whom, exactly? AI and MR keep saying that, but you never explain where this adoration supposedly comes from -- other than from yourselves, of course. 
    When it comes to analysts, he's by far the most accurate.  That's all. Don't shoot the messenger. 
    Prove it. That's what the hype says, but I have yet to see anything remotely like a statistically valid analysis of Kuo's output as compared to others. 

Far more consistent than Kuo's real or perceived accuracy is the lauding modifiers that must always be included in an article citing Kuo. It's propaganda, backed at most by cherry-picking and confirmation bias. 

If you'd like to prove Kuo's accuracy, I'd love to see it. Don't bother linking to anything that doesn't include every single one of Kuo's predictions (not just on AI, but everywhere) for a significant period of time, weighted for difficulty of predictions, and compared to an equally exhaustive analysis of a statistically significant number of his competitors. If it doesn't include every single prediction over a year or more, then it's just a cherry-picked list. If it doesn't offer a direct comparison to more than one or two others, then it's irrelevant, because claiming Kuo has a given rate of accuracy is meaningless if it's not also shown to be significantly better than the average of his competitors.

Without all that, it's just hype.
  • Reply 107 of 153
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

The S7 Edge is a compromising device which Jobs will never do.  
  • Reply 108 of 153
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    How many reviews of the S7 are not favourable?
    qwwera
  • Reply 109 of 153
    AppleZulu said:
    robbyx said:
    Kuo is "noted" by whom, exactly? AI and MR keep saying that, but you never explain where this adoration supposedly comes from -- other than from yourselves, of course. 
    When it comes to analysts, he's by far the most accurate.  That's all. Don't shoot the messenger. 
    Prove it. That's what the hype says, but I have yet to see anything remotely like a statistically valid analysis of Kuo's output as compared to others. 

Far more consistent than Kuo's real or perceived accuracy is the lauding modifiers that must always be included in an article citing Kuo. It's propaganda, backed at most by cherry-picking and confirmation bias. 

If you'd like to prove Kuo's accuracy, I'd love to see it. Don't bother linking to anything that doesn't include every single one of Kuo's predictions (not just on AI, but everywhere) for a significant period of time, weighted for difficulty of predictions, and compared to an equally exhaustive analysis of a statistically significant number of his competitors. If it doesn't include every single prediction over a year or more, then it's just a cherry-picked list. If it doesn't offer a direct comparison to more than one or two others, then it's irrelevant, because claiming Kuo has a given rate of accuracy is meaningless if it's not also shown to be significantly better than the average of his competitors.

This site has pretty much everything Kuos has reported on. 
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/tag/ming-chi-kuo/

As for the rest of your demands you can rest peacefully knowing that that the only proof you've decided is acceptable doesn't exist and it's doubtful you're interested in putting it together either. Your beliefs are safe. 
    singularitytechlover
  • Reply 110 of 153
    cnocbui said:
    tzeshan said:
    How many reviews of the S7 are not favourable?
    Do you know how much Samsung spend on reviewers? A few years ago I read that Samsung paid people posting online.  
    patchythepiratepalomine
  • Reply 111 of 153
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

Perhaps it is for some folks. For others it probably isn't a compromise at all. In any event that wasn't the point of contention in the first place. Sog35 said 1/4" smaller wouldn't be a big deal. I disagreed. What about you, would a 1/4" smaller iPhone with the same size display be a "big deal"? 
    qwwera
  • Reply 112 of 153
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    AppleZulu said:

As for the rest of your demands you can rest peacefully knowing that that the only proof you've decided is acceptable doesn't exist and it's doubtful you're interested in putting it together either. Your beliefs are safe. 
    Ming is only correct 44% of the time

http://ped30.com/2016/04/24/apple-ming-chi-kuo-truthiness/

worse than a coin flip. 
    Are you a subscriber? If so could you tell us what PED is using as the yardstick for determining "accuracy". If Kuo is mostly correct in a report but misses a point or two is he then simply wrong overall as far as PED is concerned? When he's "wrong" is it sales predictions as a rule but where features/hardware is concerned he's usually correct? Is he generally right, sometimes off with the exact timing but well within the ballpark? That would be helpful in determining if he's "better than a coin-flip". 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 113 of 153
    gatorguy said:
    AppleZulu said:

I have no beliefs that I wish to remain safe. All I believe is that Kuo's much-ballyhooed accuracy is unproven. I do find it suspicious when one analyst seems to always be hyped when he's quoted. It's the people who accept assertions without proof who have beliefs they might wish to keep safe.

Consider these three examples: Analyst A intentionally makes sure that 70% of his output consists of statements of the obvious. He could then be accurate only a third of the times when he actually goes out on a limb, and still claim an 80% accuracy rate. Analyst B skips the obvious statements and is accurate with 40% of his predictions. In reality, Analyst B is more reliable than Analyst A when it matters, but analyst A will claim to be twice as accurate as B. Then you have analyst C, who puts a lot of stuff out there and just makes sure that anyone who gets direct access to cite his reports must always hype him as 'reliable' or 'the most accurate,' etc. Who knows what C's accuracy rate is? It doesn't really matter, because people will slavishly believe C is the best, which then leads to the more important question: which analyst do you think makes the most money?

As I say, I have no beliefs I wish to remain safe. I would be perfectly happy if someone could show me the analysis that proves that Kuo is, in fact, the most accurate or most reliable or whatever. That'd be fine with me. It's actually assertions without proof that are "beliefs." Also, it's usually up to those making the assertion to prove it's true, rather than the person questioning it to prove the negative. 
  • Reply 114 of 153
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:

With the edge screen the sides of the screen ARE DISTORTED! PERIOD. Stop trying to twist facts.

Also with the edge screen you are exposed to TWO MORE ANGLES OF GLARE. Again that is a FACT.

There have been numerous tests on the fingerprint scanner on Samsung phones. And in most tests they have been inferior to TouchID.

1. Unlocking on the Samsung is slower
    http://www.iclarified.com/47564/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-vs-apple-iphone-6-fingerprint-scanner-comparison-video

2. Fingerprint reading issues
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/18/some-galaxy-s7-edges-have-palmfinger-rejection-issues-on-edge-of-display-fix-seemingly-underway-outside-us/

3. Fingerprint sensor not working
    http://recomhub.com/blog/galaxy-s7-fingerprint-sensor-not-working/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-fingerprint-sensor-hasn-t-improved-much-video-501142.shtml

4. Samsung Fingerprint sensor can be easily hacked with a regular ink-jet printer
    http://bgr.com/2016/03/08/samsung-galaxy-s7-galaxy-s6-fingerprint-scanner-hack/

The researchers were unable to perform the same hack on the iPhone.

Bottom line is the rounded touchID fingerprint sensor (which is taller) is more efficent and accurate than the samsung skinny sensor.  And its more secure.

So yes there are MASSIVE trade-offs for having a slightly smaller phone. 

1. Distorted screen
    2. More screen glare
    3. More unintentional touch screen presses 
    4. Less secure fingerprint scanner
    5. Slower less reliable fingerprint scanner

If you work out the volume, the S7 edge is 6.23 % smaller than the 6S Plus, it is also almost 20% lighter.

1:  Unlocking the S7 is about the same speed, but you have to turn off animations on the iPhone to get that, otherwise the S7 gets to the home screen faster - nice link to the S6, but it's not the S7.

2:  Operative words: 'Some', 'Fix', 'Underway'.

3:  It helps to turn the feature on.

4:  Circuit printer starter kit - $349.  Not quite a 'regular ink-jet' printer.

Apple’s shiny new iPhone 6 can be spoofed with the same fake fingerprints that tricked its older sibling, the iPhone 5S.

That's according to mobile security firm Lookout, which said it discovered that it is possible to create a fake fingerprint that's capable of fooling the TouchID fingerprint sensor of the latest iPhones (6 and 6 Plus are apparently equally vulnerable).

Just thought I would add that as you seem to have 'inadvertently' forgotten to.

edited April 2016 singularity
  • Reply 115 of 153
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

Ok, all that stuff and yada, yada. . .  

But I replied to what you had actually said to begin with before you took the sideroad:

"Nice job posting a misleading photo.
      Stop making such a big deal about 1/4 of an inch."

IMHO a 1/4" is a big deal when we're talking already large phones. I'll guess you actually agree if you're being honest. Based on recent rumors of upcoming Apple design changes they do too. 
    Rumors don't mean crap. Look at facts not rumors.

The 6s+ was THICKER than the 6+.

1/4 inch means nothing if the phone has a distorted screen, more glare, and a compromised fingerprint scanner. 

Do you own a phablet?  If not you have no idea what you are talking about. 
    Do you own a Galaxy Note that you keep referring to as a compromised device? If not what makes you think you know what you're talking about? 

But yes one of my phones is a phablet. About two years old, larger display than the iPhone 6+  yet smaller overall. No it's not a Samsung phone either as I don't care for their business ethics. 
    qwwera
  • Reply 116 of 153
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    Perhaps it is for some folks. For others it probably isn't a compromise at all. In any event that wasn't the point of contention in the first place. Sog35 said 1/4" smaller wouldn't be a big deal. I disagreed. What about you, would a 1/4" smaller iPhone with the same size display be a "big deal"? 
    If it is already big like S7 then 1/4" smaller is no big deal.  What is the advantages of of Edge with no edge?  
  • Reply 117 of 153
    AppleZulu said:
    gatorguy said:
    AppleZulu said:

I have no beliefs that I wish to remain safe. All I believe is that Kuo's much-ballyhooed accuracy is unproven. I do find it suspicious when one analyst seems to always be hyped when he's quoted. It's the people who accept assertions without proof who have beliefs they might wish to keep safe...

I would be perfectly happy if someone could show me the analysis that proves that Kuo is, in fact, the most accurate or most reliable or whatever. That'd be fine with me. It's actually assertions without proof that are "beliefs." Also, it's usually up to those making the assertion to prove it's true, rather than the person questioning it to prove the negative. 
    This might be as close as you can get to what you're looking for:
    http://www.cultofmac.com/273923/ming-chi-kuo/
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 118 of 153
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Do you own a Galaxy Note that you keep referring to as a compromised device? If not what makes you think you know what you're talking about? 

But yes one of my phones is a phablet. About two years old, larger display than the iPhone 6+  yet smaller overall. No it's not a Samsung phone either as I don't care for their business ethics. 
    I've used the Edge phones before.  The edge portions were irratating and the glare was bothersome.
    Used = picked up an S6 Edge in a shop?
    singularity
  • Reply 119 of 153
    gatorguy said:
    AppleZulu said:
    I have no beliefs that I wish to remain safe. All I believe is that Kuo's much-ballyhooed accuracy is unproven. I do find it suspicious when one analyst seems to always be hyped when he's quoted. It's the people who accept assertions without proof who have beliefs they might wish to keep safe...

I would be perfectly happy if someone could show me the analysis that proves that Kuo is, in fact, the most accurate or most reliable or whatever. That'd be fine with me. It's actually assertions without proof that are "beliefs." Also, it's usually up to those making the assertion to prove it's true, rather than the person questioning it to prove the negative. 
    This might be as close as you can get to what you're looking for:
    http://www.cultofmac.com/273923/ming-chi-kuo/
    I've seen that one. With an average of seven predictions per year in their listing, you know that's only a small sampling of Kuo's output, and there's no indication whether it's a randomized sample or some sort of cherry-picking, one way or the other. Also, it makes no comparative reference to the accuracy of other analysts, so there's no basis for determining if he's 'most accurate,' average, or whatever.

I'd also be happy if Kuo was just routinely cited plainly as an analyst, like all the others are. The frequent hype just makes me suspicious. Is it about making Kuo or KGI more money? Is there some sort of attempt at market manipulation involved? Who knows, but it sure does make me wonder.
  • Reply 120 of 153
    sog35 said:

cnocbui said:
    If you work out the volume, the S7 edge is 6.23 % smaller than the 6S Plus, it is also almost 20% lighter.

1:  Unlocking the S7 is about the same speed, but you have to turn off animations on the iPhone to get that, otherwise the S7 gets to the home screen faster - nice link to the S6, but it's not the S7.

2:  Operative words: 'Some', 'Fix', 'Underway'.

3:  It helps to turn the feature on.

4:  Circuit printer starter kit - $349.  Not quite a 'regular ink-jet' printer.

Just thought I would add that as you seem to have 'inadvertently' forgotten to.

I won't waste anymore time on a Samsung lap dog.
    The sound of a keyboard pilot buying the farm.
    edited April 2016 singularity