Apple Music to sponsor Drake's 'Summer Sixteen' tour

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Rapper Drake on Monday announced his upcoming "Summer Sixteen" tour, notably highlighting Apple Music as a sponsor -- the first time Apple Music is believed to have backed any concert tour.

The rapper revealed the news on Instagram. The tour will open July 20 in Austin, Tex., also featuring acts like Future, Roy Woods, and DVSN.

Drake has developed a close business relationship with Apple. The company funded the extremely popular music video for "Hotline Bling," and had him appear on stage during last year's Worldwide Developers Conference to pitch Apple Music. Drake's latest album, Views From the 6, will initially be an Apple Music exclusive when it launches on April 29 -- the same day as Summer Sixteen tickets go on sale.

Last year Apple rebranded its iTunes Festival in London as the Apple Music Festival, but supporting tours is a new approach.

Apple Music's main competitors in streaming, Spotify and Tidal, also sponsor concerts. Spotify, for instance, regularly hosts a "Spotify House" during Austin's annual SXSW festival.

In October 2015, reports claimed that the agency representing British pop singer Adele was pitching Apple on a $30 million tour sponsorship. No deal ever materialized however, possibly because one proposed term allegedly involved Apple stocking Adele CDs in its stores -- something highly unlikely given the existence of Apple Music and the iTunes Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Apple decide not to sponsor Adele tour, choose Drake instead.

Eddie Cue reported to have asked:  'Why you looking at me like that, guys?'
    wonkothesane
  • Reply 2 of 16
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    cnocbui said:

just as a point of reference, not that this is the end all be all, however, it does matter…Drake has 21.6 Instagram followers and Adele only has 10.6.....so for Marketing/Promotion...more bang for their buck
    (21.6 Million vs 10.6 Million)
    edited April 2016 cali
  • Reply 3 of 16
    NY1822 said:
    cnocbui said:

just as a point of reference, not that this is the end all be all, however, it does matter…Drake has 21.6 Instagram followers and Adele only has 10.6.....so for Marketing/Promotion...more bang for their buck
    Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaacccching ....and.... no, he misses.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    cnocbui said:
    NY1822 said:
    reaching what? I don't let my personal music preferences get in the way of business sense...I want apple to grow their music subscription and I don't see any problem with them sponsoring an artist with that many followers/fans who is active on social media...And I highly doubt it was a choice between Adele vs Drake..clearly there was more into the decision to not sponsor Adele's tour
    calibestkeptsecret
  • Reply 5 of 16
    ahx1ahx1 Posts: 6member
    cnocbui said:

let's not forget Drake was also ON STAGE to launch Apple Music. Has his own show on Beats 1, releases all his singles exclusively on Apple Music first etc.... so this makes 100% sense to have happened.
    edited April 2016 cali
  • Reply 6 of 16
    NY1822 said:
    cnocbui said:
    reaching what? I don't let my personal music preferences get in the way of business sense...I want apple to grow their music subscription and I don't see any problem with them sponsoring an artist with that many followers/fans who is active on social media...And I highly doubt it was a choice between Adele vs Drake..clearly there was more into the decision to not sponsor Adele's tour
    Suggesting that Instagram followers is some ultimate measure of marketability or promotional potential.  My musical preferences are not an issue, the fact that Adele keeps breaking long standing music sales records is.
    singularity
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cnocbui said:
    NY1822 said:
    Suggesting that Instagram followers is some ultimate measure of marketability or promotional potential.  My musical preferences are not an issue, the fact that Adele keeps breaking long standing music sales records is.
    My original comment was "not that this is the end all be all, however, it does matter"...and IT DOES MATTER, so pretending it does not would be foolish...
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 16
    cnocbui said:
    NY1822 said:
    check out Drake's last 2 posts on Instagram...they are promoting his tour, and oh, what's that...Apple Music is clearly plastered on the promotion...not a bad to way to reach a potential 21.6 million people in the snap of a finger
    calibestkeptsecret
  • Reply 9 of 16
    NY1822 said:
    cnocbui said:
    My original comment was "not that this is the end all be all, however, it does matter"...and IT DOES MATTER, so pretending it does not would be foolish...
    Pretending Drake has even half the cachet of Adele is being foolish.  Forbes claim her current Live tour will generate revenue of $150 Million and may top $200, but Apple's going to sponsor Drakes tour instead of Adele's - FAIL.
    edited April 2016 singularity
  • Reply 10 of 16
    cnocbui said:
    NY1822 said:
    Pretending Drake has even half the cachet of Adele is being foolish.  Forbes claim her current Live tour will generate revenue of $150 Million and may top $200, but Apple's going to sponsor Drakes tour instead of Adele's - FAIL.
    Actually, you are the one pretending, using metrics such as "cache'"....while I was providing facts of one artist have double the amount of followers than the other...the purpose of sponsoring is to market, and they chose an artist that has 10 MILLION more followers than the other...your revenue numbers are pointless unless they are compared to Drake's....and your article quoting makes no mention of "up to 200 Million dollars"....
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markbeech/2016/02/29/adele-fights-off-nerves-to-start-150-million-world-tour/#40e3701244e7
    edited April 2016 johnnyblaise24bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 11 of 16
    cnocbui said:
    NY1822 said:
    1. Didn't Adele specifically NOT release her last album on Apple Music?
    2. I imagine if you look at the demographics, Drake's fans are much more likely to use the service; not data I have, but as a marketing tool, this is much more important information than "Total Tour Revenue"
  • Reply 12 of 16
    NY1822 said:
    cnocbui said:
    Actually, you are the one pretending, using metrics such as "cache'"....while I was providing facts of one artist have double the amount of followers than the other...the purpose of sponsoring is to market, and they chose an artist that has 10 MILLION more followers than the other...your revenue numbers are pointless unless they are compared to Drake's....and your article quoting makes no mention of "up to 200 Million dollars"....
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markbeech/2016/02/29/adele-fights-off-nerves-to-start-150-million-world-tour/#40e3701244e7
    Oh, ffs!

Over the course of his career, Drake has won 1 of the 9 awards he has been nominated for (11%), including 1 Grammy, which recognizes outstanding achievement in the music industry.
    Over the course of her career, Adele has won 13 of the 15 awards she has been nominated for (87%), including 10 Grammys, which recognize outstanding achievement in the music industry and 1 Academy Award (Oscar), which recognizes cinematic achievement in the film industry.
    http://celebrities.prettyfamous.com/l/592995/Adele ; http://celebrities.prettyfamous.com/l/397618/Drake

Facebook likes - Drake 34.8 M - Adele 65.1 M

Music sales:  Adele - 86.2 M - that's 20 M more than Prince - sorry, Drake doesn't seem to appear in the list of best selling music artists  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

singularity
  • Reply 13 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cnocbui said:

But when Adele's deal was rejected, Apple fans said the only people who listen to her are elderly ladies.

I say Apple sponsor both. The Adele Album in Apple Stores was a little weird though. Maybe a poster instead?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    cali said:
    cnocbui said:

But when Adele's deal was rejected, Apple fans said the only people who listen to her are elderly ladies.

I say Apple sponsor both. The Adele Album in Apple Stores was a little weird though. Maybe a poster instead?
    Those elderly ladies must be the dark energy of the music world then, as she was the world's number one artist in sales in 2015.

Adele’s Most Fervent Fans? Soccer Moms mums
    The British singer, whose album ‘25’ comes out Friday, has a distinct base of devoted fans—mothers between ages 25 and 44
    Damn, those soccer mums have deep purses - some of the seat prices for her 2016 concerts are eye watering - over $3 K for one venue in the Netherlands

• Reply 15 of 16
    cnocbui said:
    2. I imagine if you look at the demographics, Drake's fans are much more likely to use the service; not data I have, but as a marketing tool, this is much more important information than "Total Tour Revenue"
    1 isn't really surprising, now is it?
    2 Are they?  What better marketing tool could you have than worlds most popular music artist?
    singularity
  • Reply 16 of 16
    cnocbui said:
    1 isn't really surprising, now is it?
    2 Are they?  What better marketing tool could you have than worlds most popular music artist?
    1. So Adele didn't do Apple Music because she knew they weren't going to sponsor her tour? Damn, I didn't know Adele was so petty.
    2. Well "world's most popular artist" in album sales doesn't really help them sell a service, does it? If most of her fans buy actual copies of the album instead of using Apple Music or Spotify or another service, I don't think it's the audience Apple is after. Adele is old school, which is cool. But that doesn't really mesh with where Apple is trying to push music.