Box executive Karen Appleton joins Apple to bolster enterprise team

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's latest attempt at boosting its enterprise credentials is reportedly a new hire, Karen Appleton, formerly a long-time executive with cloud storage and collaboration service Box.

Appleton announced her departure from Box last week via Medium, but only confirmed her new employer in a Monday Facebook post, according to Re/code. Sources told the site about the enterprise connection, but couldn't offer any further details on Appleton's role.

She did, however, join Box in 2007 as just its eighth hire, becoming the company's senior VP for industries. She also spearheaded Box.org, which made the company's services available to non-profits for free or at low cost.

Traditionally Apple has treated enterprise as a secondary concern, preferring to target the general public. The company has increasingly cozied up to enterprise customers since 2014, when it first began partnering with IBM on iOS apps. In January 2015 it picked up a senior VP from HP, John Solomon, who was reportedly made a lynchpin in improving enterprise sales.

Apple's position in the enterprise world has been helped by "bring your own device" policies at many employers, letting workers choose Apple devices such as iPhones where a platform-exclusive app or service isn't essential. Some organizations will, of course, mandate Apple devices for various reasons.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Beautiful woman. Yes, noticing beauty is not sexist btw. Like how noticing someone is black is not racist. Brings to mind that annoying video on YouTube "I am not black", yes you are and clearly you've a problem with that fact.

Enterprise is important for Apple, but I'd like them to really focus hard on iCloud reliability and Siri power and accuracy. Dictation on iPhone has often over past 5 weeks been unavailable for me without mention of this on Apple's status page. Somewhere in the black box is an answer.
    edited April 2016 buckalecksectallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 18
    She beat out the guy from junk.com
  • Reply 3 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple seems to have a good relationship with Box. I wonder if buying them will bring any benefit?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cali said:
    Apple seems to have a good relationship with Box. I wonder if buying them will bring any benefit?
    Not really a good target at their current valuation. Apple buys companies (usually) when they are small and have unique IP or experience.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    If you are going to tout Apple's moves into the enterprise, probably should mention the partnership with Cisco.
    cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 18
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    "Mommy?  What is enterprise??"
    "Something long, long, long ago forgotten about, sweetie."
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 18
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Maybe this is a sign that they are going to treat iCloud seriously. Or maybe she's being brought in to help sort out the turf wars between the iCloud and Siri teams.
    calicornchip
  • Reply 8 of 18
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    ireland said:
    Beautiful woman. Yes, noticing beauty is not sexist btw. Like how noticing someone is black is not racist. Brings to mind that annoying video on YouTube "I am not black", yes you are and clearly you've a problem with that fact.

Enterprise is important for Apple, but I'd like them to really focus hard on iCloud reliability and Siri power and accuracy. Dictation on iPhone has often over past 5 weeks been unavailable for me without mention of this on Apple's status page. Somewhere in the black box is an answer.
    Lol. Yep. People do and say strange stuff these days. 

Ans she is a very lovely lady for sure. 

Her last name definitely goes with the new company. Lol. 
    ireland
  • Reply 9 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    kpom said:
    Maybe this is a sign that they are going to treat iCloud seriously. Or maybe she's being brought in to help sort out the turf wars between the iCloud and Siri teams.
    This is what came to mind. Box has their s*** together. iCloud not as much.

Didn't know there was a war between iCloud and Siri teams.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    ireland said:
    Beautiful woman. Yes, noticing beauty is not sexist btw.
    No it isn't. But opening a comment with such an observation upon the announcement of her new job to which her looks has zero relevance is. Or at least it perfectly illustrates a pervasive underlying sexism even in educated socially aware circles. And oh yeah, it's a totally dick comment followed by an equally dick justification.
    williamlondoncornchippalominecnocbui
  • Reply 11 of 18
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Trying to bring enterprise using iCloud? I for sure wont let my company use iCloud if i was in Charge, why not something much more widely used, cross platform, like Dropbox?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    paxman said:
    ...a pervasive underlying sexism...

EDIT: Why allow us to upload gifs if they don’t animate?
    edited April 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 18

EDIT: Why allow us to upload gifs if they don’t animate?
    Please dear god don't turn this into one of those sites!
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 18
    paxman said:
    ireland said:
    Beautiful woman. Yes, noticing beauty is not sexist btw.
    No it isn't. But opening a comment with such an observation upon the announcement of her new job to which her looks has zero relevance is.
    The relevance is she is beautiful. Try not too overthink it. I'm the kind if I see a beautiful woman I say I too her face even. Haven't received a "you're sexist" comments yet. Women seem to like compliments in my experience. It's not my fault if her beauty jumps out at me. I'd say she's good at her job and glad Apple hired her if I knew she was. The second part of my comment is about Apple's server side business. People are too over-sensitive. If you do an acting class, a good one, the first thing they try to do is stop people being too nice too one another and say what you feel. It can be liberating and she is beautiful.
    edited April 2016 cornchipmatrix077
  • Reply 15 of 18
    9secondkox2 said: 

Her last name definitely goes with the new company. Lol. 
    I was going to mention this too but I'm sure it has to be somethingelse-ist.
    cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ireland said:
    paxman said:
    No it isn't. But opening a comment with such an observation upon the announcement of her new job to which her looks has zero relevance is.
    The relevance is she is beautiful. Try not too overthink it. I'm the kind if I see a beautiful woman I say I too her face even. Haven't received a "you're sexist" comments yet. Women seem to like compliments in my experience. It's not my fault if her beauty jumps out at me. I'd say she's good at her job and glad Apple hired her if I knew she was. The second part of my comment is about Apple's server side business. People are too over-sensitive. If you do an acting class, a good one, the first thing they try to do is stop people being too nice too one another and say what you feel. It can be liberating and she is beautiful.
    All fine and good for the individual, but if you said anything like this in a professional capacity you could expect a lawsuit or a harassment claim at the minimum (in the US, anyway).
  • Reply 17 of 18
    ireland said:
    All fine and good for the individual, but if you said anything like this in a professional capacity you could expect a lawsuit or a harassment claim at the minimum (in the US, anyway).

If I said she was beautiful? That must be a US-centric litigious culture thing. If a see a beautiful woman I'm saying it. Like if I see a really tall man, I'm saying "wow, you're tall. I'm sure you get that a lot".
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 18 of 18
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    bobschlob said:
    "Mommy?  What is enterprise??"
    "Something long, long, long ago forgotten about, sweetie."
    Maybe in post-cataclysmic, Mad Max-esque world... Fallout communities living generations in nuclear shelters... nah. Even they'd re-develop enterprise.