Apple by itself earns +40% of the profits of Silicon Valley's top 150 companies

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited April 2016
While the world waits to see just how many iPhones, iPads and Macs Apple sold in the March quarter, a report on the top 150 firms in California's Silicon Valley shows that Apple earned more than 40 percent of the region's total profits in 2015, and its revenues grew 2.5x as fast as its peers year over year.

2015 SV150
Source: San Jose Mercury News

The "SV150" is compiled by the region's San Jose Mercury News, from Bloomberg data and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filings of the companies.

Published as a searchable database, the numbers show that Apple brought in revenues of $234.98 billion, three times as much as second place Google and the rest of its Alphabet of related ventures.

Apple's $53.731 billion in profits were also more than three times as large as Alphabet's. Apple also paid $18.941 billion in taxes, or more than 5.6 times as much as Alphabet.

Writing for the Merc, Patrick May noted that Apple's 2015 sales were "more than the combined sales of the 41 other companies in the SV150's enterprise sector, which includes companies that sell information technology to businesses and other large enterprises," and "nearly equal to the aggregate revenue of the 14 companies in the Web sector, which includes standouts like Google and Facebook, along with the 30 companies in the chip sector, with heavy-hitters like Intel and Applied Materials."

Apple brought in revenues $3 billion higher than the next four big firms combined (Alphabet, Intel, HP Enterprise and HP), although it paid more than twice as much in taxes as those other four firms combined.

Even so, Apple's stock is currently valued at just $581 billion, only about $100 billion more than Alphabet. Alphabet and Intel together have a valuation higher than Apple, despite both companies combined bringing in revenues of $100 billion less and earning less than half of the profits Apple delivered.

On Tuesday after the market close, Apple will announce its earnings for the most recent March quarter, the company's fiscal Q2 2016.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Why isn't Microsoft in the top ten? There's some companies I haven't even heard of there.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    billreybillrey Posts: 14member
    Why isn't Microsoft in the top ten? There's some companies I haven't even heard of there.
    I hope you are joking? As I'm sure you know, Microsoft isn't in Silicon Valley. 
    1983icoco3afrodri
  • Reply 3 of 17
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    AI: you should probably note that the chart's figures are in millions. IOW, Apple made $53B in profit, not $53,171.00 as the chart would have a casual viewer believe. Also -- and not to get picky, typos happen, it's cool, but ... the article says Apple made $54.171 billion, when in fact it was $53.171 billion.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    chasm said:
     ... the article says Apple made $54.171 billion, when in fact it was $53.171 billion.
    Huh?  The table says $53,731.

(... or am I mis-reading something?)
    icoco3
  • Reply 5 of 17
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    chasm said:
     ... the article says Apple made $54.171 billion, when in fact it was $53.171 billion.

Probably updated after his comment.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Of course the San Jose Mercury News is an Apple shill. These numbers are made up to make it look like Apple is successful. Everybody knows Apple is a failed company on its way out. Just read any article anywhere and you’ll get the truth. Meh. I just sold my AAPL, all 28 shares. Oh wait, my financial advisor said we were BUYING more AAPL, not selling. Never mind. <s>
    edited April 2016 quadra 610ericthehalfbeeicoco3cali
  • Reply 7 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Looks like Alphabet spent more on R&D but has nothing to show for it apparently. I guess figuring out how to spread more spam costs a lot of money.
    quadra 610Herbivore2cali
  • Reply 8 of 17
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    saarek said:

I guess chart base on million. 
    I just wonder spending more than $8 billion, and it came up with scissor keyboard, mouse with charging port at bottom, 12 inch iPad pro, sell 4th gen CPU on mini, etc..
    Oh one more thing.. soldered RAM for make more profit.. Great job R&D..
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 9 of 17
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    But but but Google or Alphabet or Sesame Street or whatever they're called today.
    cali
  • Reply 10 of 17
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    YP101 said:
    saarek said:
    I just wonder spending more than $8 billion, and it came up with scissor keyboard, mouse with charging port at bottom, 12 inch iPad pro, sell 4th gen CPU on mini, etc..
    Welcome, we have a spot for you under the bridge....
    patchythepiraterevenantafrodricali
  • Reply 11 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    Alphabet...........$12 billion in R&D.

Unreal how much money that company wastes.
    http://www.strategyand.pwc.com/global/home/what-we-think/innovation1000/top-20-rd-spenders-2014
    Google is a ways down the list. Not sure what measuring stick you're using for deciding R&D is wasteful tho. Without R&D from dozens, perhaps 100's of companies the iPhone and Apple's billions would never have been. Fortunately there's companies willing to take gambles and some are more well-heeled and thus more equipped for the the costs involved. But even small companies often spend what you might consider exorbitant and thus "wasteful" dollars on R&D. 
    edited April 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 12 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Yes but Apple has failed with the Watch and is desperate with the SE. They're lost. Only a matter of time before they run out of money. /s
  • Reply 13 of 17
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    the taxes though- and everyone is after them about it. even congressmen who do their damnedest to avoid paying theirs.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    chasm said:

In financial world, the unit is M (Million)
  • Reply 15 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

YP101 said:
    saarek said:
    Don't like it, buy something else. In order for Apple to have the best customer services, they don't want users top just disassemble their Mac and mess around with the device. Sure, some people can just upgrade something fine, but an average Joe may just reads diy on internet and  just screws up the device. To be honest, Mac owners who actually upgrade RAM themselves may be just less than 0.1%. So, I don't think Apple would risk to have upgradable components. I myself was CompTia+ certified and wouldn't want to add a second HD in my 2011 Mac Mini even though it's upgradable. I rather not open the case. Instead, use an external HD.
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple should work on Siri and cut off Gaggle's revenue for good. They could make a search engine website but that seems so 90's.

or they can charge Goog billions more for being default in iOS.

either way I want those scumbags to go down HARD.

gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    Alphabet...........$12 billion in R&D.

Unreal how much money that company wastes.
    http://www.strategyand.pwc.com/global/home/what-we-think/innovation1000/top-20-rd-spenders-2014
    Google is a ways down the list. Not sure what measuring stick you're using for deciding R&D is wasteful tho. Without R&D from dozens, perhaps 100's of companies the iPhone and Apple's billions would never have been. Fortunately there's companies willing to take gambles and some are more well-heeled and thus more equipped for the the costs involved. But even small companies often spend what you might consider exorbitant and thus "wasteful" dollars on R&D. 

More like without Apple's R&D these knockoffs and piggybackers wouldn't have made billions.