Google mimics Apple Watch with conveniently swappable 'Mode' Android Wear bands

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Taking a page from the simple customization of the Apple Watch, Google on Tuesday announced it is launching a new lineup of Android Wear bands that can be easily replaced to give a wearable device a fresh look.

The new "Mode" snap-and-swap watch bands for Android Wear were designed in partnership with b&nd by Hadley Roma. Like with the Apple Watch, the bands can be removed by pressing a button, then sliding the band out to be replaced.

Mode bands come in fourth different widths that can fit most Android Wear watches, and they'll also work on mechanical watches too. The first lineup includes a variety of colors available in either leather or silicone.

Swappable bands have been a defining feature of the Apple Watch since it launched a year ago. Apple has steadily expanded its lineup of first-party bands and now offers a huge collection of options that allow users to make the Apple Watch their own.

Mode gif

The Mode mechanism design is available for other accessory makers to design their own bands for Android Wear devices. And the first-party bands are now available to purchase through the Google Store, Amazon and Best Buy.

Though Android Wear was first out of the gate, Apple Watch is believed to be the market leader in the wrist-worn smart device space. Exact sales figures for the Apple Watch have not been disclosed by Apple, but analyst estimates peg year-one sales at about 14 million units -- twice that of what the first-generation iPhone sold after its launch in 2007.

Apple has debuted new Apple Watch bands periodically for the last year, representing different seasons of styles. Most recently, in March, it debuted a series of woven nylon styles, as well as new color options. It also slashed the entry price of its Watch to $299.

Apple is expected to launch a new second-generation Apple Watch later this year, though the timetable for review remains uncertain. Reports have suggested the external design will remain largely unchanged, though internally the company is rumored to add an LTE radio for data on the go, as well as a faster second-generation "S2" chip.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Ummm.... 
    Aren't watchbands typically swappable? I know I've changed mine several times on several watches over the years. Hardly "taking a page from Apple" IMHO.  Not sure that "Mode" button will hold up tho. Looks a little questionable to me. 
    jony0SnRa
  • Reply 2 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy said:
    Ummm.... 
    Aren't watchbands typically swappable? I know I've changed mine several times on several watches over the years. Hardly "taking a page from Apple" IMHO.  Not sure that "Mode" button will hold up tho. Looks a little questionable to me. 
    Of course Google are not copying Apple's concepts, that's why they have had these swappable wrist straps for the first Android Wear products released, not later once they saw Apple's success with them.  Oh wait a minute .... 

edit typo
    edited April 2016 wonkothesaneradarthekatericthehalfbeecalinolamacguyjony0magman1979jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 29
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    gatorguy said:
    Ummm.... 
    At least the developed their our method to quickly attach/detach them.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This does not look like a secure method to attach/detach bands.
    ppartekimtmayjbdragonpscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Good move on their part. Apple didn't create swappable wrist bands but did create writs bands that were easy to swap and this is Google's answer to ease of the swap. While not as smooth as Apple's version not a bad stab at it.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Steve Jobs said it himself, quoting Picasso. “Good artists copy, great artists steal.” There’s nothing wrong with mimicking. Actually there’s no evidence that Picasso said that but it can be traced to something T.S. Elliot said about poets.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    SilicoSilico Posts: 7member
    These bands all look like they were made for tweenage girls.
    jbdragonmagman1979
  • Reply 8 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    gatorguy said:
    Ummm.... 
    Would you not find even the colour similarities questionable?
    jbdragonmagman1979
  • Reply 9 of 29
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    icoco3 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Ummm.... 
    At least the developed their our method to quickly attach/detach them.
    Apple's ver seems pretty quick to me - owner of 4 bands. They're also incredibly secure and a more pleasing design. 
    caliSpamSandwichtmayicoco3nolamacguymagman1979jbdragon
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Silico said:
    These bands all look like they were made for tweenage girls.
    I'm not sure Android Wear is used by people that old. ;)
    jbdragonmagman1979
  • Reply 11 of 29

lkrupp said:
    Steve Jobs said it himself, quoting Picasso. “Good artists copy, great artists steal.” There’s nothing wrong with mimicking. Actually there’s no evidence that Picasso said that but it can be traced to something T.S. Elliot said about poets.
    The immature poet imitates; the mature poet plagiarizes.
    —T. S. Eliot

The problem with any such thing is they can get mangled over time.  Look how many people mistakingly say "I could care less" meaning the exact opposite.

BTW:  I just heard how many came from Shakespeare on NPR yesterday it is quite amazing how many did.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 12 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ireland said:
    gatorguy said:
    Ummm.... 
    Colors are usually determined by fashion folks who decide year after year what we're supposed to like. That colors are similar across industries and products can be traced back to that.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 29
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    These watches are still a "thing"?
  • Reply 14 of 29
    gatorguy said:
    Ummm.... 
    Of course Google are not copying Apple's concepts, that's why they have had these swappable wrist straps for the first Android Wear products released, not later once they saw Apple's success with them.  Oh wait a minute .... 

edit typo
    Many Android Wear watches (such as the Moto 360) and Pebble devices had swappable wristbands before the Apple Watch was released.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    gatorguy said:
    Ummm.... 
    Aren't watchbands typically swappable? I know I've changed mine several times on several watches over the years. Hardly "taking a page from Apple" IMHO.
    Most watch bands can be swapped, and most link bands can be extended or shortened. Apple did not invent either (and did not claim that). What they did is making both those activities tool-free. Traditional watches required tools (e.g. my Officine Panerai came with a rubber diving band and a leather band, and a whole set of tools in the box to actually swap those), or even a trip to a watchmaker. And that makes a huge difference – I actually do swap bands on the Apple Watch, I almost never did that with other watches.
    calitmaynolamacguyjbdragonpscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 29
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    ireland said:
    gatorguy said:
    Ummm.... 
    No. Almost all fashion are the same color scheme year you year regardless of brand or type of fashion. Color is not exclusive to Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Hope they don't force their watch OEM to use their system, or that will be another way Google makes them their little bitch.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    gatorguy said:
    ireland said:
    Colors are usually determined by fashion folks who decide year after year what we're supposed to like. That colors are similar across industries and products can be traced back to that.
    Make sure you have a copy of "The Kings New Clothes" in your library...it is so relevant all too often.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 19 of 29
    sog35 said:
    ziggybyte said:
    Many Android Wear watches (such as the Moto 360) and Pebble devices had swappable wristbands before the Apple Watch was released.
    hope you are joking. 

Moto360/Pebble required TOOLS to switch bands and it was a pain in the azz (like traditional watches)

AppleWatch is totally different because no tools are required and its super easy and fast
    I never said they didn't require tools, nor did I say Apple wasn't the first to have an easy to change mechanism. All I said was that you could change bands on other types of watches.
    singularity
  • Reply 20 of 29
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    so now add Google to the list of copying the diagonal (product laying side by side) layout in photo shoots....FitBit and Samsung