iPhone sales fall to 51.2M, Apple earns $50.6B in revenue in disappointing March quarter

Comments

• Reply 41 of 163
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    Not disappointing at all. 

67% from international sales... That is a big success given that national currencies lose their value against strengthening US dollar. Globally Apple products are more expensive than ever, because of the US dollar.

And yet these more expensive products sell globally... That shows Apple is on the right track with its products and services.

calichiapmz
  • Reply 42 of 163
    blitz2blitz2 Posts: 34member
    sog35 said:
    nhughes said:
    I'm pretty sure I have more than half a brain. Mac and iPad sales both also fell year over year, and by considerable amounts. It's a disappointing quarter.
    Mac is being canibalzied by iPad and iPhone. Come on dude. Mac is not the future of Apple. Everyone knows PC sales are going into the tank.

iPad is getting canibalized by bigger iPhones.

Just look at total revenue in Q2 2014 vs Q2 2016.

Don't compare Q2 2015. That was an anamoly year.  The iPhone6 had THREE YEARS of pent up demand.  Impossible for Apple to match that.

If you compare 2016 to 2014 Apple grew revenue 12%.  That is not disappointing at all.
    Yes it is.

And, er... what's canibalizing the bigger iPhones?
    edited April 2016 elitistsnob
  • Reply 43 of 163
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    sog35 said:
    Services up 20% YoY.

that is the key.

iPhone unit sales don't mean crap long term.

GROW the USER base.
    Then sell SERVICES.
    That is the future.

Only those with VISION know this.
    IPhone unit sales mean everything to Apple it's their cash cow, if that drops away Apple risk falling back to a niche company
    hjmnl
  • Reply 44 of 163
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    nhughes said:
    sog35 said:
    Disappointing?

Not to me.

Not to anyone who has half a brain.

Of course Apple could not match what they did last year. The iPhone 6 cycle was a once in a decade super cycle.  People were holding off buying iPhones for YEARS waiting for a bigger phone.

You need to compare this years results with the iPhone 5s results in 2014.

In Q2 2014 Apple had $45 billion in revenue.
    In Q2 2016 Apple had $51 billion in revenue.

That is 13% revenue growth

I'm pretty sure I have more than half a brain. Mac and iPad sales both also fell year over year, and by considerable amounts. It's a disappointing quarter.
    Yeah there was going to be a year that apple didn't sell as many iPhones as last year, there are only so many people in the market. and it not like every one else is killing it either
    michael scrip
  • Reply 45 of 163
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member

We are very happy with the continued strong growth in revenue from Services, thanks to the incredible strength of the Apple ecosystem and our growing base of over one billion active devices.”
    Um, Tim, Wall Street isn't buying your services narrative. Especially since you weren't spinning this narrative when hardware sales weren't missing estimates. Cook needs to find a better narrative fast.
    i don't think so, the company is making money and if apple isn't selling phones no one is, because they are still much better than your miss match android options
    baconstangcalipalominepmz
  • Reply 46 of 163
    blitz2blitz2 Posts: 34member
    People seem never to lose money when their stock nosedive...
    Shows how much they know about money 
    atlapple said:
    Then you have already lost money. You never learn.

No he hasn't - he only loses money when or if he realizes the loss by selling the shares! Shows how much you know about it
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 47 of 163
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    djsherly said:

I was happy to pull the trigger at 2700 but 3500 is something else. 

Rate of exchange. For US products you're paying 3500 AUD for what you used to be able to get for 2500 six months ago.

My remarks were mostly reflecting on current consumer confidence. If wages are stagnant and world economic prospects are not very encouraging, people tend to not spend money on new CE devices unless absolutely necessary. Apple makes such high quality gear that you really don't need to upgrade very often. If the economy is down it seems logical that people might hold on to the Apple gear they already have. Apple can't grow sales on strictly new customers. They need upgrade cycles to remain every couple years or less and that just isn't realistic in these times.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 48 of 163
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

67% from international sales... That is a big success given that national currencies lose their value against strengthening US dollar. Globally Apple products are more expensive than ever, because of the US dollar.

And yet these more expensive products sell globally... That shows Apple is on the right track with its products and services.

I have a feeling the Q&A portion of this call is going to be brutal. What good have the share buybacks done? Yet Apple keeps increasing it.
    jackansi
  • Reply 49 of 163
    It would be great if this news finally lets the hype around Apple stock die down. They're still making great products and making incredible amounts of money, just selling a little less than last year. If that makes the company boring in the eyes of day traders, fine with me. And I do hope they won't rush to bring the next big thing to market.
    baconstangcalipatchythepiratechianetmage
  • Reply 50 of 163
    schlack said:
    their mac and iPad products are a bit stale...no surprise they dropped...and of course they couldn't match the iPhone 6 debut. 7% drop in after market trading is unwarranted...but they will need to kill it with the new macbook pro release, killer iPhone 7 features, and some iPad price drops.
    Not that this will make any diff in share price . I own a iPhone6+ and am eligible for an upgrade in Sept, so I will probably buy a 7. I just noticed the camera is taking out of focus pictures, probably because of the many times I have dropped it and yes I do have case. I have always thought Apple would have difficulty growing the biz once the smartphone market became saturated. Thats why I sold the remaining shares I own at the top recently.

I don't really  think Apple is a growth stock any more, Its more of an income stock and as such I'm going to trade it based on that assumption (i.e.: not going long, swing it or trade options depending on cycle). From what I'm reading I don't think the IP7 is going to be a block bluster device like the 6 was. After all , what are they doing is only  adding a slightly better camera, waterproofing and making it thinner. BFD! At this point ho wmuch better can anyone make a smart phone? Not much imho, its becoming a commodity really. Without increasing iPhones sales Apple is very limited in its ability to generate increasing rev and profits.
  • Reply 51 of 163
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    plovell said:
    Cue the "Apple is DOOMED" analysts. Blah blah blah.

Yep, an asshole analyst on CNBC actually said, “Who uses iTunes anymore?” The he went to say Apple MUST buy Tesla. I cannot believe these people actually get paid for their bullshit.
    baconstangcalielitistsnobpalomine
  • Reply 52 of 163
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    nhughes said:
    sog35 said:
    Disappointing?

Not to me.

Not to anyone who has half a brain.

Of course Apple could not match what they did last year. The iPhone 6 cycle was a once in a decade super cycle.  People were holding off buying iPhones for YEARS waiting for a bigger phone.

You need to compare this years results with the iPhone 5s results in 2014.

In Q2 2014 Apple had $45 billion in revenue.
    In Q2 2016 Apple had $51 billion in revenue.

That is 13% revenue growth

They fell because, like all things happening at Intel, their time lines for CPUs have slipped to nearly 3 quarters behind original targets. I hope Apple does open up with Zen CPUs that are primed and ready to go. Toss in ZEN APUs first quarter 2017 and Intel is screwed. It's one of the reasons they are negotiating with AMD to get an iGPU license that expired with Nvidia.
    cali
  • Reply 53 of 163
    volcan said:

No he hasn't - he only loses money when or if he realizes the loss by selling the shares! Shows how much you know about it
    Well we don't know for sure what he does, but since AAPL is quite volatile, he could be selling puts and actually making money while still holding his shares or even execute the puts and buy it back for less.
    No we have no idea what he does, yes he could be selling puts , depends on his time frame, selling naked puts is very risky though. He might be covering them or have them covered or he could be selling calls on them more likely trying to make back his losses  though! esp if he bought at 120-130 range when he was promising the stock would be at 150 by last Christmas. 
    jackansi
  • Reply 54 of 163
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    sog35 said:
    Services up 20% YoY.

that is the key.

iPhone unit sales don't mean crap long term.

GROW the USER base.
    Then sell SERVICES.
    That is the future.

Only those with VISION know this.
    Right. Because Microsoft and IBM are growth stocks. They are dividend stocks. The n-tier Enterprise approach doesn't work in the smartphone world, outside of the Enterprise markets. Apple is growing their collective ecosystem, and will differentiate services for Consumer/Commercial where it rightly sees fit.
    jackansi
  • Reply 55 of 163

i have no idea how this works but all the costs associated with paying FOXCON are in what currency, not $ so I guess it evens out quite a lot 
  • Reply 56 of 163
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    paul turner said:

I have always thought Apple would have difficulty growing the biz once the smartphone market became saturated. 

Saturated in the West perhaps. There is still incredible upside worldwide. They might just have to tread water for a few years until the economies of South America, Central America, Africa, India and the rest of China/Asia finally start to see an emerging middle class.
    calichianetmage
  • Reply 57 of 163
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Interesting that they are supply contained on the iPhone SE but still not seeing good revenue next Q. 
  • Reply 58 of 163
    Maybe all those that thought apple was so great are finally realizing that Apple products are hyped and way overpriced. So Apple needs to lower prices otherwise face the consequences of lost revenues and eventually going out of business.
  • Reply 59 of 163

sflocal said:
    51 millions iPhones in one quarter.  Damn... that's still insane, and the fucking idiots of Wall Street thinks that's a disappointment?  Assholes.  Any other company making phones would sell their first-born for that kind of "disappointment".
    this inference that its somehow some entity called "f..... idiots on Wall Street" you do realize don't you that appl is one of the most publicly owned stock on Wall street so to blame these price drops on "Wall Street" is missing the mark. You may as well criticism Joe Blowhard next door to you
    jackansi
  • Reply 60 of 163
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    lkrupp said:
    plovell said:
    Cue the "Apple is DOOMED" analysts. Blah blah blah.

Yep, an asshole analyst on CNBC actually said, “Who uses iTunes anymore?” The he went to say Apple MUST buy Tesla. I cannot believe these people actually get paid for their bullshit.
    He's right about iTunes though. I've been trying for two days with no luck to get it to recognize my iPad Pro as I want to add some videos to the device. Also I added some music to my iPhone two days ago and I still can't access it. It shows up on my phone but is greyed out. iTunes is a POS. It needs to die and be replaced with something much better.
    singularitycnocbuijackansi