iCloud team reportedly plagued by infighting as Apple struggles to build new cloud infrastructure

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Natural selection in action.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    sog35 said:
    Cook just needs to get rid of Cue already. Poach someone really good from Google, Amazon or Micfosoft. Or just buy Dropbox. Notice we never get stories like this from the hardware or software engineering teams at Apple. But there have been similar stories about Apple Maps, Apple Music was a mess when it first launched and just earlier this week that Apple's pitch for moving into original programming is completely disorganized. All of these things are under Cue. He needs to go.
    Dude, your venom and hate for Cue is tiresome.
    Considering your relentless diatribes against Tim Cook's leadership of Apple this a bit of the pot calling the kettle black wouldn't you say?
    cnocbuiRayz2016volcanbestkeptsecretSpamSandwichcornchip
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Until Apple fixes its messaging and properly identifies devices by phone number forst and then by anything else iCloud is off all the time on all my devices. Moving iMessage and diverting SMS traffic to iCloud was bad decision and outcome is that many people left to Android devices and struggle to correct misdirecting SMS traffic that seems to go dead on behalf of Apple incorrect solution. I have had this issue myself. You can;'t be that arrogant and absorb peoples communication and direct them into wrong devices while not delivering to others.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    rob53 said:
    I'm glad they're fighting. If they weren't, I'd be afraid Apple was getting lazy and stagnant. All employees fight not matter what company they work for. Everyone wants their project to go the way they want it to go. This isn't news, it's SOP. As for The Information group, they formed in 2013 and look like they want to emulate the Washington Post of old. I wouldn't be surprised if employees of this company had arguments and disagreements as well.
    Do you work for Microsoft? Any culture taken from their internal wars that result in poor quality software not fully integrated with monkey thrown random tabs and buttons UI designs with poor logic (just fashion) called tiles and "single window" application on desktop computers with multiple displays? I would prefer avoiding these kind of wars at Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    dysamoria said:
    paxman said:
    Fighting in the sense of competition is good but infighting for control and power is not. It gets in the way and bad decisions are made. There will always be politics and disagreements but a workplace where infighting and a sense of insecurity overshadows the actual work is a bad place to be. Your statement reads like an old school sports coach's chest pumping. The key managerial skill lies in the ability to get the team working effectively together at their given task.
    Fully agreed. When internal politics get going like this, it tends to be the people with the worst ideas and the nastiest fighting tactics who chase out the better ideas with the people who had them (and even if their ideas are stolen by the arrogant jerk of the room, he tends not to know how to execute on the idea as well as the person he stole it from). The jerks left in control will eventually ruin the rest of the team with their jerk behavior.
    Couldn't agree more. I have seen this myself so many times. It's the reason a once decent company, can turn to shit. The most talented people are weeded out by those who are only talented at convincing others that they have talent.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    tdknoxtdknox Posts: 82member
    Um, no.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Cook just needs to get rid of Cue already. Poach someone really good from Google, Amazon or Micfosoft. Or just buy Dropbox. Notice we never get stories like this from the hardware or software engineering teams at Apple. But there have been similar stories about Apple Maps, Apple Music was a mess when it first launched and just earlier this week that Apple's pitch for moving into original programming is completely disorganized. All of these things are under Cue. He needs to go.
    This^^^

Billingsley is a longtime ex-Google employee who has built large-scale cloud infrastructures before. They hired him about 2 1/2 years ago (from eBay) to build iCloud into a platform that could compete with Google. I am obviously not privy to Apple's internal politics, but something tells me that he's run into resistance from longtime, entrenched Apple employees. Typical corporate power struggle. Eventually someone will be forced out and the division will eventually move forward with one strategy. Tim Cook has dealt with these types of situations before... 
  • Reply 28 of 34
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    We, APPLE'S CUSTOMERS do not give a single s**** about some political dustup at a remote factory in rural North Carolina. Give them ONE WEEK TO FIX IT, then fire them all if it's not completed.

• Reply 29 of 34
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    sog35 said:
    Cook just needs to get rid of Cue already. Poach someone really good...
    Dude, your venom and hate for Cue is tiresome.
    Tiresome only to those who worship Cue. I see no evidence that he has a powerful brain single-handedly that makes Apple great. If they can oust Forstall, then they can oust Cue. Think about it. What does Cue really bring to the table? What specifically?
    RobJenk
  • Reply 30 of 34
    If I were SVP over that mess, I'd merge the two teams into one, and once everyone is one the same team, create a process to hear the options on the table. Anyone who thinks they have the best ideas can present them. Vigorous debate is encouraged.

That would put Gates and Billingsley on one team - Bill Gates...

• Reply 31 of 34
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Wait until later this year WWDC, we will know how the one of the largest Mesos is up to. iCloud DC planning is too slow as I have mentioned multiple times. It is not even hard by any means, It is just now in their DNA.

Things should be better when the rumored iTunes, Game Center etc will all run on this new platform by the end of the year. That is the backend only, front end will likely see some things in 2017.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    karmadave said:
    This^^^

Billingsley is a longtime ex-Google employee who has built large-scale cloud infrastructures before. They hired him about 2 1/2 years ago (from eBay) to build iCloud into a platform that could compete with Google. I am obviously not privy to Apple's internal politics, but something tells me that he's run into resistance from longtime, entrenched Apple employees. Typical corporate power struggle. Eventually someone will be forced out and the division will eventually move forward with one strategy. Tim Cook has dealt with these types of situations before... 
    Ok knowing this guy came from Google with cloud services background this makes me even more concerned. Tim needs to do something about this.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    A key piece of information, and a rather ironic and telling one, that this article is missing is that Patrick Gates was the original iCloud architect. Perhaps Paddy old boy can't let go of his project and is still trying to micro manage.
    edited April 2016