Rumored 'iPhone 7 Plus' schematic shows dual-lens camera & Smart Connector, lacks headphone jack

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2016
The rumored design of Apple's next-generation iPhone appears to be taking shape thanks to continued leaks out of the Far East, which are now consistently showing a new design with a larger, still protruding camera lens, a Smart Connector port, and the absence of a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack.

The schematic allegedly for Apple's 5.5-inch "iPhone 7 Plus" was published in the June issue of Japan's Mac Fan magazine. A scan of the article and accompanying images was shared on Wednesday by Macotakara.

The illustrations show a wider, oval-shaped space where the camera lens would go. This supports rumors that the next iPhone will feature a dual-lens design for even greater picture quality.

On the back, toward the bottom of the device, the handset is also shown to feature a Smart Connector port. AppleInsider detailed earlier this week how newly revealed charging capabilities with the iPad Pro Smart Connector could come to the next iPhone, and allow users to charge the device and use Lightning-connected headphones simultaneously.

Once again, the schematic shows an "iPhone 7" design without a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack at the bottom of the device. Multiple leaks have reaffirmed that Apple apparently plans to ditch the legacy headphone jack with this year's iPhone, apparently leaving users to connect headphones through the Lightning port or via Bluetooth.

Finally, the details on the schematics describe a device with the exact same screen size as the 5.5-inch iPhone 6s Plus, suggesting the display will remain identical to the current flagship model.

The device bears a striking resemblance to Futurama's Bender.

The schematics shown in the image are also identical to a purported "iPhone 7" casing that leaked online last month. It shows a dual-camera design that some have said bears similarities to the character Bender from the cartoon Futurama.

Like the schematics, the leaked casing also showed a Smart Connector port on the back, above where the Lightning port would be. The alleged iPhone shell also lacked antenna lines on the back, which were instead shown just around the perimeter of the top and bottom of the handset.

The number of leaks with the same design would lend strong support to the possibility that they show the device Apple is expected to unveil later this year. Apple is rumored to take the wraps off of the "iPhone 7" in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Looks a lot more like:

Well, analysts say there won't be any new features so this article is wrong!
    moreck
  • Reply 2 of 32
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Upgraded camera with dual lenses? Sold. 
    moreck
  • Reply 3 of 32
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Will wait for the SE refresh...I'm done with fat phones after retiring my 5 and getting the 6s.
  • Reply 4 of 32

Says iPhone Pro on the schematic on the right.

• Reply 5 of 32
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    continued leaks out of the Far East
    that sounds so dated. is that the term that's used for Asia?
    The device bears a striking resemblance to Futurama's Bender.
    no, actually it doesnt. its a flat metal phone, while Bender is an animation of a large humanoid-shaped robot. it doesnt bear much of a resemblance at all, other than being gray.
    supadav03wonkothesanemoreck
  • Reply 6 of 32
    The copy keeps referencing the smart connector port. Just not seeing the smart connector (3 dots like on an iPad) anywhere in the schematic, are they talking about the lightening connector port? In the photo of the alleged hardware, those three dots look more like Chinese writing that could be mistaken as 3 dots.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 7 of 32
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    The three smart connector contacts on the back is very similar to my Nokia:

The three contacts are for an accessory back shell that has an inductive charging antenna built in so you can add that capability.

I suspect Apple will use the contacts for a magsafe-like wired headphone connector.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 8 of 32
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 533member
    Okay, I get why it might be a good idea for a plus-sized iPhone to have a Smart Connector.

But what I don't get is why, on all of these "leaked" photos and documents, the Smart Connector is located on the back of the phone and not on an edge like it is with an iPad?

The change in position prevents you from using the same charging stands, custom keyboards, and other accessories manufacturers might have developed that could have supported (sic) both products.

Something like this...

edited April 2016
  • Reply 9 of 32
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    cali said:
    Looks a lot more like:

Well, analysts say there won't be any new features so this article is wrong!
    Analysts just make stuff out of their arses -- where rumors are sometimes based on actual leaks.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    hmlongco said:
    Okay, I get why it might be a good idea for a plus-sized iPhone to have a Smart Connector.

But what I don't get is why, on all of these "leaked" photos and documents, the Smart Connector is located on the back of the phone and not on an edge like it is with an iPad?

The change in position prevents you from using the same charging stands, custom keyboards, and other accessories manufacturers might have developed that could have supported (sic) both products.

Something like this...

Because people don't use keyboards with smartphones? That's a niche product at best.
    moreck
  • Reply 11 of 32
    The copy keeps referencing the smart connector port. Just not seeing the smart connector (3 dots like on an iPad) anywhere in the schematic, are they talking about the lightening connector port? In the photo of the alleged hardware, those three dots look more like Chinese writing that could be mistaken as 3 dots.
    Look at the schematic -- same place, bottom back of the device in portrait orientation. That's no chinese writing -- it's 3 dots.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    foljs said:
    Look at the schematic -- same place, bottom back of the device in portrait orientation. That's no chinese writing -- it's 3 dots.
    It would surprise me if Apple does that. Why not get rid of the lightening port, put the smart connector in it's place and offer truly wireless EarPods like Bragi (too early, too much change, too soon)? Doesn't that seem cleaner, allow more room internally and accomplish everything needed that the phone does now (charging, data transfer, and audio)?
  • Reply 13 of 32
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Interesting that this schematic lacks speaker holes where the 3.5mm jack would have been. This is definitely good news if a real leak since it means Apple won't be putting in pointless stereo speakers.
  • Reply 14 of 32

And if the final design is the same of the iPhone 6, but with glass on the back? Because in leaked image on the back there are bezels like on the front... 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 15 of 32
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    If this is iphone 7.. Brace for impact all share holders... We are screwed. What universe are you living in Apple.. Or rather under what Rock.?
  • Reply 16 of 32
    The iPhone 7 looks to be enough of an advance to compel much of the market to upgrade. The deal breaker for me is the lack of an OLED panel. A CPU built on 10 nm technology would also be quite nice and should offer a far more compelling performance upgrade than the 16 nm SOC going into the iPhone 7. 

Hopefully the new camera is built by LG or Samsung as the Sony units do not produce the same quality photos. 
  • Reply 17 of 32
    I'm also very interested in how iOS 10 affects this phone and what it can do. This may or may not be the exterior, but it's true potential is in how the software takes advantage of everything. I'm sure Apple has a few new surprises in store for iOS 10. WWDC will probably reveal a bit more about what this phone can really do. 
  • Reply 18 of 32
    mac_128 said:
    Interesting that this schematic lacks speaker holes where the 3.5mm jack would have been. This is definitely good news if a real leak since it means Apple won't be putting in pointless stereo speakers.
    Best part about getting rid of the 3.5mm jack is that it eliminates a possible route of liquid infusion. Thus, without the (relatively large) hole it will allow the iPhone to be more water resistant. Speaker ports and microphones are other ports of liquid infusion, but Apple seems to have that figured out (i.e.: Apple watch). 
  • Reply 19 of 32
    jgojcajjgojcaj Posts: 48member
    What a hideous phone. I have an iPhone 6 plus. I thought MAYBE they would change the design for the better. Boy, am I mistaken. Whoever is lead design for Apple, I hope you get fired. Because NO ONE will line up for such a horrendous looking phone. I mean... WE ARE STILL DEALING WITH THOSE UGLY ANTENNA BANDS? REALLY?! Where did the innovation go with Apple? Steve is literally rolling in his grave. Look what they did to his vision. Such a shame and a mess.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 20 of 32
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 533member
    foljs said
    Because people don't use keyboards with smartphones? That's a niche product at best.
    They don't because they don't or they don't because they're not available?

Consistent placement of the connector makes more accessories like the above possible. With the SC placed on an edge, that keyboard could work with a new iPhone or an iPad 9.7" or 12", or even a new mini.

Given the millions of iDevices that Apple's going to push, I'd argue that we're looking at a fairly large potential niche. Heck, Logitech made a keyboard that fit a single 12" iPad.

You don't think they'ed make on that would work on every iPad (and iPhone) Pro out there, if it were possible?
    edited April 2016