ANZ is first Australian bank to support Apple Pay

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2016
Apple Pay expanded services in Australia on Thursday local time with the addition of ANZ Bank, the first major financial institution in the region to support Apple's payments product after a limited rollout in November.

Announced via Apple's website, the new integration comes more than five months after an American Express partnership introduced Apple Pay to the Australian market last year.

"Our customers ... are much closer to being able to leave their wallets at home," Apple Pay chief Jennifer Bailey told Reuters in an interview today. She added that Apple is in discussions with other Australian banks and hopes the ANZ deal will spark demand in the sector.

When it launched in Australia, Apple Pay was limited to AmEx customers -- co-branded cards were not supported -- and those retailers with compliant wireless payments systems. With the new partnership, customers are able to provision ANZ Bank-issued Visa credit and debit cards, as well as ANZ AmEx cards.

Apple offers little guidance on what customers can expect in terms of future alliances, but the company's website still lists MasterCard as "coming soon."

Apple Pay debuted in 2014 with an initial rollout restricted to U.S. customers. Based on the NFC standard, Apple's touchless payments service is marketed as a safe and convenient alternative to physical wallets. Initial hardware support came in the form of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and has since been expanded to all current iPhone models, including the iPhone SE, and Apple Watch.

Following a domestic introduction, Apple Pay went live in the UK last July, later expanding to Canada in November and China in February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    mcbanjomcbanjo Posts: 11member
    My mate works for ANZ and he says it's an exclusive arrangement for 6 months.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Just set it up.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    mcbanjo said:
    Good play on ANZ's part because I was going to just switch to ANZ until my bank started to play. But if I'm waiting 6 months for other banks to join in, I'll probably have all my main accounts established at ANZ by then and not bother switching away for a while. Anyway, I'm just glad one of them finally moved on this!
  • Reply 5 of 23
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Unexpected but a welcome development. 
  • Reply 6 of 23
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mcbanjo said:
    Bugger. I was hoping it might push the others to extract their digits and rush it out.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Don't suppose they could accidentally include NZ?
    fearlesslostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mcbanjo said:
    I'm not Austrailian (Canadian actually) but if banks there are the same as banks anywhere else...

a) Employees aren't entrusted with privileged business information unless they're on the Board of directors and

b) Banks don't get exclusive arrangements that deliberately exclude other institutions unless they want to get slapped with an anti-competition lawsuit.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... :-)
    lolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 23
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    anome said:
    mcbanjo said:
    Bugger. I was hoping it might push the others to extract their digits and rush it out.
    You could switch banks.
    lolliver
  • Reply 11 of 23
    mcdave said:
    Don't suppose they could accidentally include NZ?

I was going to say that but frankly it does't really matter because I'd never go back to ANZ, their fees are ridiculous.

I'll stick to Co-Operative and hope they come through with the goods when Apple Pay comes to NZ.

lostkiwi
  • Reply 12 of 23
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    Time for me to switch banks. I was going to switch to ANZ anyway (I already have a savings account with them) so now I have the extra motivation to get it done now. 
  • Reply 13 of 23
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    I mean NZ is two thirds of ANZ, and half their profit. But only the A gets Apple Pay? Silly. My Watch is weeping. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 14 of 23
    jamesnay said:
    mcbanjo said:
    I'm not Austrailian (Canadian actually) but if banks there are the same as banks anywhere else...

a) Employees aren't entrusted with privileged business information unless they're on the Board of directors and

b) Banks don't get exclusive arrangements that deliberately exclude other institutions unless they want to get slapped with an anti-competition lawsuit.

Common sense says that you are correct 
    jamesnaylostkiwi
  • Reply 15 of 23
    mcbanjo said:
    That is completely false. For obvious reasons.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 16 of 23
    subbies said:
    jamesnay said:

Common sense says that you are correct 
    Thanks subbies!
  • Reply 17 of 23
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Why oh why can't we have Apple Pay in ANZ NZ? It's the same company FFS. 
    *sulks*
  • Reply 18 of 23
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    About time too. Now surely the others will follow. How antiquated is it that it is taking this long to get Apple Pay, in Australia. Further strengthens the attitude Australia is well behind the rest of the world when it comes to embracing new technology. With that said, it appears to just reinforces the fact the banks are colluding to keep it out. Thanks heavens ANZ has broken away from that and stepped forward to lead the way. Still, how many years has Apple Pay to be available in Australia and only now is it starting to be taken up by the banks.(sigh)
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 19 of 23
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    laytech said:
    About time too. Now surely the others will follow. How antiquated is it that it is taking this long to get Apple Pay, in Australia. Further strengthens the attitude Australia is well behind the rest of the world when it comes to embracing new technology. With that said, it appears to just reinforces the fact the banks are colluding to keep it out. Thanks heavens ANZ has broken away from that and stepped forward to lead the way. Still, how many years has Apple Pay to be available in Australia and only now is it starting to be taken up by the banks.(sigh)
    Nope, greedy Australian banks were loathe to give up some of their fees, imagine if all businesses ran like banks, cashier and shelf stacker fees at supermarkets, fees for opening doors, fees for ALL business costs and then some., 
  • Reply 20 of 23
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

I'm heading to ANZ to open an account this weekend.